Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: tLet's prematurely start a GLI thread thread

Originally posted by HuskyNation View Post
    Anchor Bar is not too bad, decent drink prices too.
    I'd take almost anything in Greektown over Hockeytown's over priced menu and drinks.
    Yeah skip Hockeytown and I agree on the Anchor.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Hockey town cafe has rotten food. You ought to try somewhere else.. like the post or angelina's.
      YES, Angelina's. Mmmm... honey butter...
      I'd like to know from the MSU posters and BC posters, are you getting scoring from all four lines, do you have penalty issues, do your defensemen join the rush often, are you physical? Will you play an up and down game or are you more defensive.?
      BC is pretty much exactly the same style they've been the last several years: Fast. Very up and down. Lots of depth in our scoring... 10 players with at least 11 points, 8 with at least 14 points. Watch for freshman Johnny Gaudreaubey Baker, if he doesn't make the final USA World Junior roster. He is a magician with the puck. If he gets the puck behind the net, we're probably about to score. Kreider is a beast and is NHL-ready. Billet has emerged as our #1 goalie as a freshman, he looks very confident in net. Needs to work on his rebounds a bit, but how many college goalies don't?

We've had a rough go the last few weeks as far as wins and losses. Not too many people are worried though... Hard to be when you're #3 in the PWR. Honestly, we've been more concerned with laughing at BU's defection-of-the-day since the first half ended than with losing 5 of our last 9.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I'd like to know from the MSU posters and BC posters, are you getting scoring from all four lines, do you have penalty issues, do your defensemen join the rush often, are you physical? Will you play an up and down game or are you more defensive.?
        Tony Tiger... you fibber.

BC can't score a lick, slow as cold molasses, the D join the rush???... heII, they can barely cross the defensive blue line. Penalty issues, yes, but we have a great PK, so we don't mind.

We'll settle for 4th place. Could be worse.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
          Tony Tiger... you fibber.

BC can't score a lick, slow as cold molasses, the D join the rush???... heII, they can barely cross the defensive blue line. Penalty issues, yes, but we have a great PK, so we don't mind.

We'll settle for 4th place. Could be worse.
          Uh huh, we have seen you on tv a few times but it's not the same as live.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Well, that just means the other teams are a bit slower. Hockey in the east ain't so good ya know.
            Can't wait to see the midwest teams though.
            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

OK - I'll go first:
              I'd like to know from the MSU posters and BC posters,
              are you getting scoring from all four lines
              Mostly. But some of it is for the other team.

do you have penalty issues
              Yes. When 6x5, we can't seem to keep the puck from going in their net.
              When 5x6, we can't seem to stop laying down on the job, and are thus not allowing the puck to get to our netminder.

do your defensemen join the rush often
              Only during rush week.

are you physical?
              No. But enough about me.

Will you play an up and down game or are you more defensive.?
              No. Oblique. Again ... see above.
              Last edited by owslachief; 12-21-2011, 11:15 PM.

Comment

well, if you watched those 4 CBS games then you must agree with all that FiveHole12 has said because in those 4 games(DU,BU X2 and ND), BC was putrid for the most part. We are 12-2 if not on CBS, 0-4 when on CBS so we must not be ready for prime time as yet ..............also, this BC team, while fast, is not nearly as fast as last year's team or others in the past , IMO. These are big games for us as we need to put the 4-5 slide in the rear view mirror and gear up for the rest of conference play. Getting Wey back on D should be a big boost for the Eagles
                Last edited by sterlippo1; 12-22-2011, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Yup, between this thread and hearing the words, "I got a press pass for TechHockeyGuide," I now feel secure in my decision to opt out of this shiatshow this year's GLI.
                  Always a Wildcat...
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Two weeks ago I would have picked MSU to win this going away, but now after the games with Michigan I'm not so sure. However given that MSU did extremely well against a very tough minnesota team, it's hard to say. I have not seen them this year, even on tv, so I really don't know what we will get, but obviously they can play, though they had a slow start.
                    Tech will show up and play hard, they are a lot more up tempo than previous Tech teams who played the lock up to this year. They are motivated and have better goaltending than in the past and they have plenty of speed as well. Tech skates three freshmen D men, and might get one of the upper class D men back from injury this week. Tech is good size and can play physical if needed.

I've seen Michigan only twice. They are very fast, but skate 7 or 8 freshmen. Their best defender is not there. They have good but not great goaltending. They did fade really bad against a number of teams in november and I have no idea why.I don't think they were mentally ready to play to tell the truth, which has been Tech's problem at times as well.
                    Michigan has a sophisticated system and at times fore-checks no one and at times will have three forwards between the faceoff dots and the end line.This can change from shift to shift. There should be a big crowd and since Tech will show up for a change there most likely will be a larger Tech contingent than in the past.
                    I'm very much looking forward to this as I think Tech has a legitimate chance to win it.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                      Yup, between this thread and hearing the words, "I got a press pass for TechHockeyGuide," I now feel secure in my decision to opt out of this shiatshow this year's GLI.
                      BOOOO, why am I just finding this out now?
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Two weeks ago I would have picked MSU to win this going away, but now after the games with Michigan I'm not so sure. However given that MSU did extremely well against a very tough minnesota team, it's hard to say. I have not seen them this year, even on tv, so I really don't know what we will get, but obviously they can play, though they had a slow start.
                        Tech will show up and play hard, they are a lot more up tempo than previous Tech teams who played the lock up to this year. They are motivated and have better goaltending than in the past and they have plenty of speed as well. Tech skates three freshmen D men, and might get one of the upper class D men back from injury this week. Tech is good size and can play physical if needed.

I've seen Michigan only twice. They are very fast, but skate 7 or 8 freshmen. Their best defender is not there. They have good but not great goaltending. They did fade really bad against a number of teams in november and I have no idea why.I don't think they were mentally ready to play to tell the truth, which has been Tech's problem at times as well.
                        Michigan has a sophisticated system and at times fore-checks no one and at times will have three forwards between the faceoff dots and the end line.This can change from shift to shift. There should be a big crowd and since Tech will show up for a change there most likely will be a larger Tech contingent than in the past.
                        I'm very much looking forward to this as I think Tech has a legitimate chance to win it.
                        That's a pretty fair assessment for someone who has only seen Michigan twice.

Michigan has been highly inconsistent this season. Started 7-2-1, (all wins at home) since then 2-6-2 with the wins @ Alaska and MSU and the ties @ Miami and @MSU. More surprising were the eggs they laid at Yost against Ohio, N'eastern and Union. It was mental, yes, working hard but compounding mistakes that just snowballed in a short period of the games that hurt them. They still have one of the best offenses in the country but have mostly failed in their defensive responsibilities this season top to bottom- including netminding. Talent is not an issue, but youth is in some degree.

The other key note is that their special teams stink- the PK is <82%. Their PP at times looks like pee-wee hockey.

I fear BC will exploit the same weaknesses: special teams, defensive zone breakdowns (from lost faceoffs or coverage) and will bottle up their horrific breakout schemes. At times it just appeared that Michigan's will was too easily broken. They lost individual battles and didn't handle the up and down adversities that all teams face during games.. or in their case... losing strings.

Their last weekend against MSU was much improved in most aspects. Hunwick has played better, but so has the team in front of him. If they carry over that sentiment into the GLI, they'll have a chance. If not, they will get dumped. I can't fret not having Merrill- every team faces injuries, suspensions or departures. But having him back in January (hopefully) will boost this team on both ends of the ice. It just won't be a factor for this tourney.

Comment

Hockey town cafe has rotten food. You ought to try somewhere else.. like the post or angelina's.
                          We were thinking about changing it up this year. Every year we went to the Post pregame and walked to JLA with the Michigan flag. It's been my group and I's tradition, but I think we might do the post again after all the negative HT comments on their food. I haven't been there in years so I don't know what It's like.

If you haven't signed your name on The Post walls, you are a NOBODY
                          ---
                          National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                          19 Conference Championships
                          10 Conference Tournament Championships
                          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                            He should stream the first game from his webcam. That'd be about the quality as the Tech webcasts.
                            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Unfortunately for Tech, it looks like Tanner Kero will be out for the GLI with an injured shoulder.
                              Tech has been consistently using the same set of players on lines 1-3 and rotating 2 players in and out of the lineup on the 4th line.
                              It will be interesting to see if NMU transfer Chad Pietila gets his shot now that he is eligible at the GLI.

I'll be there on Championship night and can't wait for the tournament this year. I have waited a long time to see the banner raised at the Joe, but in Mel and team I trust!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm assuming Michigan will be the designated "road team" for the semifinals. If anyone knows for sure, I would like to know so I know in advance which net to sit behind.
                                ---
                                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                                19 Conference Championships
                                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X