Ohio State vs Princeton 12/30 - 12/31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs Princeton 12/30 - 12/31

Ohio State heads into the break with an overall record of 9-7-2, 6-7-1-1 in the WCHA, good for a 4th place tie with Minnesota-Duluth. It's been great watching this team play and seeing what the new coaching staff has been able to accomplish. I'm not very familiar with Princeton, so if some Princeton fans would like to fill us in on your team and the season you have been having, that would be great! For those of you making the trek to Columbus, have a safe trip! If you would like a prediction, well, I am going to be a "homer" on this one and predict a sweep.

Re: Ohio State vs Princeton 12/30 - 12/31

On paper, Princeton looks like a very respectable .500 club. Against top competition, their results have been mixed. They gave Cornell a great game, losing only by 1 plus an empty-netter. On the other hand, BC beat them pretty handily; the final there was 6-1.

There is one common opponent: Niagara. The Purple Eagles prevailed 3-1. Since we swept Niagara, there certainly are grounds for optimism. And yet results aren't always transitive, to state the obvious. Also, the NU contest was only the second game of the season for the Tigers, so perhaps we shouldn't put too much stock in that result.

Princeton fans, what's your take?

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Since we swept Niagara ...
      OSU took 3 of 4 points from Niagara, so not quite a sweep.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Actually, it wasn't a WCHA series so we didn't really get any points. We got a shootout win Friday night and won 5-2 in regulation on Saturday, so as far as we are concerned, it was a sweep because we won both games. Now if this was a WCHA series, yes, we would have gotten 5 out of the possible 6 points, and not quite a sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          Actually, it wasn't a WCHA series so we didn't really get any points. We got a shootout win Friday night and won 5-2 in regulation on Saturday, so as far as we are concerned, it was a sweep because we won both games. Now if this was a WCHA series, yes, we would have gotten 5 out of the possible 6 points, and not quite a sweep.
          Nationally, even though there aren't standings per se, there were four points available in that series, and you got three of them. That's how it will work out in the winning percentages used by the computers that rank teams. Your coach lamented the loss of a point on Friday night, and a moral victory of a shootout doesn't change that.

Comment

Princeton has good goaltending, occasionally good defense (they've been hit by injuries), but the biggest problem is that they can't score. Except for a couple of games against Yale, for them to get 2 goals is a major accomplishment. This is been their history for years.

Comment

For NCAA purposes, the Niagara series was a win and a tie. ARM is absolutely correct to mention that. I will say that it feels wrong to talk about "points" in nonconference play, and personally I try to avoid it. But this really isn't a big deal. Everyone knows what's meant.

Apologies for my sloppy posting, but can we stipulate that Ohio State "won the series" against Niagara? From there we can return to the issues I actually hoped we'd address:

1. How does OSU match up against Princeton; and
              2. Do the results each school got against Niagara give us any insight on the upcoming series?

Comment

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
                Princeton has good goaltending, occasionally good defense (they've been hit by injuries), but the biggest problem is that they can't score. Except for a couple of games against Yale, for them to get 2 goals is a major accomplishment. This is been their history for years.
                Greatly appreciate the reply. My first reaction is that the Buckeyes better make sure they shake off any "holiday rust" before the opening face-off. If the Buckeyes come out firing on all cylanders, it sounds like they should be able to outgun the Tigers. Conversely, a slow start could easily result in a tight, low scoring goalie duel.

Other thoughts?

Comment

Thanks everyone for setting me straight regarding what happened against Niagara. And thanks to PrincetonFan for adding some insights regarding Princeton's womens hockey team. Pgb, I think you are spot on regarding this series. We need to start fast and see if we can get some goals early, whereas slow starts could give Princeton an advantage if they continue to get solid goaltending and defense.
                  Last edited by osualum86; 12-15-2011, 08:07 AM.

Comment

It was my error that needed to be corrected. You were just sticking up for me, which was appreciated.

Not to belabor the side issue, but 12/2 Niagara game sure felt like a win! I guess at OSU we're pretty used to shootouts "counting." Both the OSU Women & the OSU Men play in leagues that use the shootout as a tiebreaker. (Women's WCHA & Men's CCHA) Unless other leagues added the shootout this year, we're the only D-1 Hockey community in that situation. Naturally the local NHL team also plays in a league that uses shootouts.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not really on board with idea of using skills contests to break hockey ties. But for better or worse, they now seem "normal." Maybe that's why I had the brain cramp and remembered the Niagara series as a sweep. FWIW.

Comment

Sorry -- I'm not trying to nitpick the issue and make a big deal of it. Take it as a compliment that this season Ohio State's program is relevant enough that it really matters whether they win or tie a non conference game, or the game against Bemidji State for that matter.

Comment

Fully understood, and taken in the spirit intended.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          Sorry -- I'm not trying to nitpick the issue and make a big deal of it. Take it as a compliment that this season Ohio State's program is relevant enough that it really matters whether they win or tie a non conference game, or the game against Bemidji State for that matter.
                          Thanks, ARM! We are definitely having a nice season so far. I hope we can build on the things we accomplished in the first half and continue to improve. Pgb, always a pleasure discussing Buckeye Womens Hockey with you on here!

Comment

Nice article today in USCHO about Natalie Spooner and our program.

http://www.uscho.com/2011/12/15/spoo...es-statistics/

Comment

Hey everyone, not to hijack my own thread, but if we don't hear from each other in the next few days, everyone have a wonderful Christmas! Cannot wait until New Year's when the college hockey season resumes! Talk to you all then!

Comment

Working...
                              X