Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    The only thing it could possibly be, if it was a double minor, was Guy had some words or directed frustrations. Not only would anyone find that to be unacceptable, but that would typically mean a misconduct penalty or a double minor charged to the player. If it's on the bench (which it was, according to the box score), it needs to be a 5-on-3, at least based upon a past game I have previously cited (and has video evidence, for that matter). It doesn't affect the final outcome of the game, but the inconsistency still needs to be addressed, as a lengthened 5-on-3 was given by the amount of time between Guy's and Alex's penalties.
    We were discussing that in the stands. They called a penalty on the player, plus a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct - it wasn't on the same guy. But they put it up as a 4:00 penalty, with only one person in the box. And when Union scored, they just wiped out the remaining time on the first penalty and started running the 2 minutes on the second penalty, keeping the 5x3 intact for the remainder of the third penalty and keeping the same player in the box to serve the bench minor, which didn't start running until the original penalty expired. We were thinking they should have put 2 people in the box - resulting in a 5x3 - to begin with. Then one person would be released, but the second penalty would have been almost over, shortening the 5x3 as you said. This made no sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
      We were discussing that in the stands. They called a penalty on the player, plus a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct - it wasn't on the same guy. But they put it up as a 4:00 penalty, with only one person in the box. And when Union scored, they just wiped out the remaining time on the first penalty and started running the 2 minutes on the second penalty, keeping the 5x3 intact for the remainder of the third penalty and keeping the same player in the box to serve the bench minor, which didn't start running until the original penalty expired. We were thinking they should have put 2 people in the box - resulting in a 5x3 - to begin with. Then one person would be released, but the second penalty would have been almost over, shortening the 5x3 as you said. This made no sense to me.
      Here's where it was called as a 5x3, and what I have been citing:

This was a game from last year; did the rules change? I know it wasn't a rule change year, but you never know.

Comment

did the rules change?
        With some officials, the rules change game-to-game or even minute-to-minute within a game.

Comment

A double minor is the way it was assessed. But double minors aren't always assessed even if one player is guilty of two offenses in the same flow of play. Occasionally they are served at the same time, and when that happens, someone else is in the box serving the other penalty. In a case where the bench was being penalized, you'd think they'd have a second body in the box.

Here's what probably should have happened - Leboeuf gets a minor for his original offense, cross-checking (it says checking in the box score - I know Union's soft but I doubt they've negotiated women's rules for themselves). Another player should have gone into the box to serve the bench minor, because Leboeuf can't serve his own penalty while he's serving another penalty. That puts Union on a 2:00 5x3. The boarding penalty to Angers-Goulet 32 seconds later essentially resets Union's total due power play time to 3:28 - the remaining time on the 5x3, and then a further two minutes, AAG's penalty clock doesn't begin until the one or both of the minors on Leboeuf and the bench expire. Union then gets a 5x4 power play for two minutes - unless they score on the 5x3, which Simpson did 1:03 later. At that point, either Leboeuf or the bench penalty gets out, and Union's 5x3 continues for another 25 seconds. If Union doesn't score, that is followed by 1:35 of 5x4.

All, of course, assuming further dumb penalties are not taken.

Unless for whatever reason, it's the coach's discretion to tack on the other minor at the end of the originally penalized player's minor in order to avoid going down 5x3 - which happened anyway when AAG was penalized - I totally don't understand why it was done the way it was.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            A double minor is the way it was assessed. But double minors aren't always assessed even if one player is guilty of two offenses in the same flow of play. Occasionally they are served at the same time, and when that happens, someone else is in the box serving the other penalty. In a case where the bench was being penalized, you'd think they'd have a second body in the box.

Here's what probably should have happened - Leboeuf gets a minor for his original offense, cross-checking (it says checking in the box score - I know Union's soft but I doubt they've negotiated women's rules for themselves). Another player should have gone into the box to serve the bench minor, because Leboeuf can't serve his own penalty while he's serving another penalty. That puts Union on a 2:00 5x3. The boarding penalty to Angers-Goulet 32 seconds later essentially resets Union's total due power play time to 3:28 - the remaining time on the 5x3, and then a further two minutes, AAG's penalty clock doesn't begin until the one or both of the minors on Leboeuf and the bench expire. Union then gets a 5x4 power play for two minutes - unless they score on the 5x3, which Simpson did 1:03 later. At that point, either Leboeuf or the bench penalty gets out, and Union's 5x3 continues for another 25 seconds. If Union doesn't score, that is followed by 1:35 of 5x4.

All, of course, assuming further dumb penalties are not taken.

Unless for whatever reason, it's the coach's discretion to tack on the other minor at the end of the originally penalized player's minor in order to avoid going down 5x3 - which happened anyway when AAG was penalized - I totally don't understand why it was done the way it was.
            The clock doesn't start (although "off the board") on the third player in the box until visible? Obviously the team would only go to 5x4 after Guy's and the bench's penalty expires and one of the two would not be excused from the box until the next stoppage... but I didn't see anything in the rule book about the third penalty not starting...
            Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 12-13-2011, 01:06 PM.

Comment

The clock doesn't start (although "off the board") on the third player in the box until visible?
              I don't know what you mean by "until visible," but a team can't go down more than two players at once, so if there are already two penalties being served ahead of it - i.e. a penalty taken during a 5x3 penalty kill - that penalty does not begin until the first penalty taken ends. If that penalty ends during the course of play, that first penalized player doesn't exit the box until the first stoppage of play.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I have always thought that when penalties are given at the same time to two different players, they are served at the same time putting the team down two men. That is assuming there are not other penalties that overlap. And I thought that the only time that a player is out for four minutes is when he gets a double minor or two minors for different offenses at the same time. Thus unless the bench minor was on Leboeuf (for cursing for example), RPI should have been down two men for two minutes. If the bench minor was on SA, then this does not make sense, and that is what I also thought at the time. it is also a restatement of what some others have posted.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                  I don't know what you mean by "until visible," but a team can't go down more than two players at once, so if there are already two penalties being served ahead of it - i.e. a penalty taken during a 5x3 penalty kill - that penalty does not begin until the first penalty taken ends. If that penalty ends during the course of play, that first penalized player doesn't exit the box until the first stoppage of play.
                  Wow....look at you! Absolutely correct......are you sure you're not a closet zebra or a Noeth wannabe?
                  Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

The clock doesn't start (although "off the board") on the third player in the box until visible? Obviously the team would only go to 5x4 after Guy's and the bench's penalty expires and one of the two would not be excused from the box until the next stoppage... but I didn't see anything in the rule book about the third penalty not starting...
                    Seems pretty clear to me:
                    If a player is penalized while two players of the individual’s team are serving penalties, the penalty time of the third player shall not begin until the penalty time of one of the other two players has elapsed. The third player penalized must proceed at once to the penalty bench, but may be replaced by a substitute until the penalty time of the penalized player begins (see 4-2-c).

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                      Wow....look at you! Absolutely correct......are you sure you're not a closet zebra or a Noeth wannabe?
                      His real name is Kotyra.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-13-2011, 01:25 PM. Reason: speeling
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by JCrawford View Post
                        That however wasn't the original situation.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          His reak name is Kotyra.
                          ...is that as in, "he stinks"?
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            That however wasn't the original situation.
                            Correct. I wasn't implying that it was. I was simply informing FD08 of the text in the rulebook that states when the penalty on a third penalized player should start.

Comment

Originally posted by JCrawford View Post
                              OK, was trying to find it in the rule book, but obviously looking in the wrong subsection (looking all throughout 4-2). Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                                ...is that as in, "he stinks"?
                                a
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X