Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rpihockeyfan13 View Post
    I'm trying to buy tickets for the game at union next weekend. anyone know what section I should get tickets in to be wit the rest of the rpi faithful???
    Go there early and take what you can get. They lie over there and say the will put returned tickets on sale at a specific time, then sell the out earlier. It has happened to me twice

Comment

• Re: RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
      After watching last nites game, I think that JL looks more lost than all of the other Frosh, he was touted as being something special but I just don't see it, when he is on the ice you just don't notice him doing anything special, he does not have speed, he lacks size and when the puck is on his stick he does nothing with it...he really lacks stick handling ability especially with any traffic around say in a 1 on 1 situtation, he may have a great shot but to use it he appears to need a ton of time and space. This is just my observation but hopefully he just needs time.
      Really not true...first off he is a strong fundamentally sound skater w/plenty of speed(not stupid speed but above average)...JL is not a creator he is a finisher and in case you haven't noticed we as a team have not done a whole lot of creating...JL doesn't under pursue and most importantly doesn't over pursure...He is what I call a "hanger" in the good sense of the word he is stalking the puck looking for opportunities not chasing his tail all over the ice....he plays to the flow of the game(as most good players do)...The scouting report on him is not the hardest shot,but a quick release...good hands.. .and the ability to put pucks on net from anywhere on the ice...no one as of yet has stepped up as that play maker ala a Tyler Helfrich or a Brandon Pirri to compliment his skill set...JL seems to be a pretty low key kid whom at this point is trying to keep his head down and fit in...he has all the tools...what he needs now is a little swagger to become the goal scorer we all know he can be and has proven to be !!!!!!!!!
      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
        Really not true...first off he is a strong fundamentally sound skater w/plenty of speed(not stupid speed but above average)...
        What game are you watching? He is not even average.

JL is not a creator he is a finisher and in case you haven't noticed we as a team have not done a whole lot of creating...JL doesn't under pursue and most importantly doesn't over pursure...He is what I call a "hanger" in the good sense of the word he is stalking the puck looking for opportunities...no one as of yet has stepped up as that play maker ala a Tyler Helfrich or a Brandon Pirri to compliment his skill set
        So I believe you are saying until we get such a playmaker and get him on the same line as JL, this dominance that you speak of will remain untapped.
        After last nites game I saw nothing much going on and he was mostly invisible.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
          Really not true...first off he is a strong fundamentally sound skater w/plenty of speed(not stupid speed but above average)...He is what I call a "hanger" in the good sense of the word he is stalking the puck looking for opportunities not chasing his tail all over the ice.
          Wow......if he has plenty of speed, he is sure disguising it real well. Either that or you are drinking enhanced beverages prior to the games that add speed to any player you watch!

As far as being a hanger, in order to be defined as such, you need acceleration and separation speed which would allow him to separate from backcheckers! I can't recall him having alot of breakaways in games to date.

The last real "hanger" RPI had was Brad Tapper!
          I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

I think that Jacob Laliberte suffered from staying in the CJHL too long. He was already a dominating player in that league in 2007-8 as a 17-year old scoring 91 points in 59 games. He didn't have to improve his game the last two years there, and his growth as a player probably stagnated. Now there are other talented players around, and he needs to develop again. I suspect that he will. That is why I and others had hoped that he would have spent last season in the USHL or one of the western Canadian junior leagues.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              I think that Jacob Laliberte suffered from staying in the CJHL too long. He was already a dominating player in that league in 2007-8 as a 17-year old scoring 91 points in 59 games. He didn't have to improve his game the last two years there, and his growth as a player probably stagnated. Now there are other talented players around, and he needs to develop again. I suspect that he will. That is why I and others had hoped that he would have spent last season in the USHL or one of the western Canadian junior leagues.
              Makes a lot of sense. I hope you are right. Time will tell. True that he already has his AARP membership card, but he is still only a freshman. Let's wait and see how the rest of the season goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                It's not like he DIDN'T improve while in the CJHL. He lost "the Floridian flu" and supposedly improved his character (which I do believe happened), and although hockey may stick around for a few more years, that character development he'll have for the rest of his life.

Comment

I think Laliberte is overrated only by the folks on this board. His junior performance did not come in top tier league. He does not stand out as a playmaker.

I think the team is not on the same page. Too many folks taking the night off (Curadi's effort on the 4th D goal was horrendous, Cullen's play seems aimless) not in balance with others making a genuine effort.

I think the team lacks in overall talent. RPI dominated play for 45 minutes, where the 15 minute lapse ended up in 4 goals against. This team needs to work too hard for the results they get to be a winning proposition every night.

I like the new freshmen overall, I hope it turns out ok, I would not have Seth on a long leash at this stage.
                  Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                    I think the team is not on the same page. Too many folks taking the night off (Curadi's effort on the 4th D goal was horrendous, Cullen's play seems aimless) not in balance with others making a genuine effort.

I think the team lacks in overall talent. RPI dominated play for 45 minutes, where the 15 minute lapse ended up in 4 goals against. This team needs to work too hard for the results they get to be a winning proposition every night.
                    Very true. Like I said on my facebook page to someone else, the players are good, but the team is awful. You can have all the talent in the world you want, but at the end of the day, it's the name on the front that gets the W/L/T, not the name on the back.

Last night was a good game. I felt like Harvard earned both of the goals they did get. That's going to happen, and I'd much rather see the other team earn the goals than our team give them the goals (both in the figurative and literal sense). I'd say we gave Dartmouth at least 2 of the 4 goals (the second on a missed assignment, and the fourth looked savable), but it's not why we lost, because we had very clear chances to tie the game. I definitely tip my hat to that effort.

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                      How many are you looking for? I have a single spare.

Edit: To answer your question, our tickets are in Section 6 which is the traditional visitors section from my experience.
                      Thanks. I am buying 4 tickets. I am going to get them tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Very true. Like I said on my facebook page to someone else, the players are good, but the team is awful. You can have all the talent in the world you want, but at the end of the day, it's the name on the front that gets the W/L/T, not the name on the back.

Last night was a good game. I felt like Harvard earned both of the goals they did get. That's going to happen, and I'd much rather see the other team earn the goals than our team give them the goals (both in the figurative and literal sense). I'd say we gave Dartmouth at least 2 of the 4 goals (the second on a missed assignment, and the fourth looked savable), but it's not why we lost, because we had very clear chances to tie the game. I definitely tip my hat to that effort.
                        I saw the replay on Harvard's second goal and I thought Bergin looked pretty bad going down and taking himself entirely out of the play. Agree that merriam may have let in a soft goal or two. Tinordi & Lee had the best games friday nite which I saw courtesy of NBC sports out here.

Comment

Originally posted by Havasu M View Post
                          I saw the replay on Harvard's second goal and I thought Bergin looked pretty bad going down and taking himself entirely out of the play. Agree that merriam may have let in a soft goal or two. Tinordi & Lee had the best games friday nite which I saw courtesy of NBC sports out here.
                          Didn't look like Bergin to me (wasn't listed as on-ice in the box score), I think it was Leonard. Looks like he went to stick the puck away and lost an edge, allowing for the spin and backhand. Now that I think about it, I thought he was playing the 2-on-2 like it was a 2-on-1 (although why he'd block that side, I don't know, there wasn't anyone there). A little video education and practice should help that one.

Comment

Does anyone else notice that SA plays his favorites no matter? They can make mistakes (dont get me wrong, no one is perfect) or have an awful game, (again no one is perfect). But in SA mind, some players are going to play regardless and others have to walk a tight rope. Afraid to make mistake, or they may not play.
                            This could be one of the reason the team isnt jellying as well as it could jell. You lose the team's respect when the rules are not the same for everyone.

Also, we are getting out muscled and not winning battles. Not going to name any players, but when you have a line of what you think are 3 scorers (and obviously they are not since we cant win a game), then maybe we need to make some changes. Shake things up. Let's beat AIC and Union this week.

I said it once and I will say it again. Put a scorer, a playmaker and a physical player on the same line. Let them work the corners, dig out pucks, make passes and hopeful score.
                            What do we have to lose. (Besides another game). The superstar routine is getting old and not working. Lets try the team approach.
                            Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey111 View Post
                              Does anyone else notice that SA plays his favorites no matter? They can make mistakes (dont get me wrong, no one is perfect) or have an awful game, (again no one is perfect). But in SA mind, some players are going to play regardless and others have to walk a tight rope. Afraid to make mistake, or they may not play.
                              This could be one of the reason the team isnt jellying as well as it could jell. You lose the team's respect when the rules are not the same for everyone.

Also, we are getting out muscled and not winning battles. Not going to name any players, but when you have a line of what you think are 3 scorers (and obviously they are not since we cant win a game), then maybe we need to make some changes. Shake things up. Let's beat AIC and Union this week.

I said it once and I will say it again. Put a scorer, a playmaker and a physical player on the same line. Let them work the corners, dig out pucks, make passes and hopeful score.
                              What do we have to lose. (Besides another game). The superstar routine is getting old and not working. Lets try the team approach.
                              Good luck.
                              Who are Coach's favorites? Aside from one mistake (that I would agree is repeatedly made, assuming I know what and whom you're talking about), do they have a certain other role? Are they held accountable behind closed doors?

Those are not rhetorical questions.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Are they held accountable behind closed doors?
                                I really liked the scene in Miracle on Ice (not the sappy Disney version with Kurt Russell, the earlier version with Karl Malden as Herb Brooks and Ed Marinaro as Mike Eruzione) when the coach took the captain aside and told him "when I yell at you using your last name, I am really yelling at the rest of the team, and I'm going to appear to hold you accountable personally as a way to rally the team behind you. However, if I use your first name, then I am speaking personally to you."
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X