Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Originally posted by Hockey111 View Post
    and of course, Laliberte. Def left out by accident. I defintely think we need some big and strong bodies in front of the net. At this point I will be happy with garbage goals. Let play a stronger more physical yet controlled hockey game.
    I disagree with the focus on getting our "big and physical" players out there unless we are playing a team with little speed. Most teams are playing such good D in their own zone these days that the best opportunities to score are coming in transition. It's the speedy, skilled guys that get you those chances. I don't think our big forwards have that speed. Even on the PP, most teams are playing 5 guys on the perimeter trying to pass side to side to get the goalie out of position. Big, slow guys have lost their place on O.

Now big, fast and skilled.... that's another story. I see Haggarty becoming that player once he gains a few more lbs. That kid is not afraid to go in the dirty areas. I hope he is around for 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
      Ken Schott's weekly interview with Coach: http://www.dailygazette.com/videos/2012/jan/05/918/

If I didn't know better, I'd think he's been reading this thread
      What I am hearing from SA is that he has a team that is not yet mentally tough.
      They are letting tough breaks take them out of their process.
      Causes for that are immaturity or lack of experience with that kind of adversity.
      Either way, it is time to grow up and stop worrying about what has already happened and concentrate on the play at hand.
      All the talent in the world cannot make up for a wandering mind.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        What I am hearing from SA is that he has a team that is not yet mentally tough.
        They are letting tough breaks take them out of their process.
        Causes for that are immaturity or lack of experience with that kind of adversity.
        Either way, it is time to grow up and stop worrying about what has already happened and concentrate on the play at hand.

I hardly EVER post, but I just had to say this was dead nuts on..... Well said sir, and I think it truly reflects the current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
          If I didn't know better, I'd think he's been reading this thread
          I hope he reads this thread..........he is at the end of his rope as far as things to say.....that we have not already heard!!
          Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            The bigger question is why does a team have a wandering mind? Lack of focus maybe? Mental toughness is something that you either have or you don't have as an individual. As tough as it is to have mental toughness as an individual, to address the mental toughness of a team is an in depth process sometimes beyond the measure of a coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
              The bigger question is why does a team have a wandering mind? Lack of focus maybe? Mental toughness is something that you either have or you don't have as an individual. As tough as it is to have mental toughness as an individual, to address the mental toughness of a team is an in depth process sometimes beyond the measure of a coaching staff.
              It's not unusual these days for professional athletes / teams to have a staff psychologist or sports psychologist as part of their support system. I've read about several. Anecdotal reports are that they are very valuable.

I know in my work we have a team-centric approach and there is substantial research in industrial psychology that we use very effectively to maintain a peak-performing organization.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Just wanted to say I was rooting for the red and white against Dartmouth tonight. I was in Stoors for the UConn Classic (Lowell fan) and your fans put on a strong showing. Coming from a fan of a team that won 5 games last year, I respect the hell out of a fan base who sticks with their squad when times are bad. Good luck the rest of the way, and I hope RPI can find its way as the 12th of Hockey East when the time comes.
                Lowell Forever
                Forever Lowell

Comment

http://troyrecord.com/articles/2012/...mode=fullstory
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

After watching last nites game, I think that JL looks more lost than all of the other Frosh, he was touted as being something special but I just don't see it, when he is on the ice you just don't notice him doing anything special, he does not have speed, he lacks size and when the puck is on his stick he does nothing with it...he really lacks stick handling ability especially with any traffic around say in a 1 on 1 situtation, he may have a great shot but to use it he appears to need a ton of time and space. This is just my observation but hopefully he just needs time.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                      After watching last nites game, I think that JL looks more lost than all of the other Frosh, he was touted as being something special but I just don't see it, when he is on the ice you just don't notice him doing anything special, he does not have speed, he lacks size and when the puck is on his stick he does nothing with it...he really lacks stick handling ability especially with any traffic around say in a 1 on 1 situtation, he may have a great shot but to use it he appears to need a ton of time and space. This is just my observation but hopefully he just needs time.
                      I disagree. Maybe some of the hype has clouded your judgment on JL but he is going to be a good one. He is a gap finder...he's not going to blind you with any skills but he has great hands and real good hockey sense. I am certainly not comparing him to #99 in the day but has the same old hunched down style of skating and great hands around the net.
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                        I disagree. Maybe some of the hype has clouded your judgment on JL but he is going to be a good one. He is a gap finder...he's not going to blind you with any skills but he has great hands and real good hockey sense. I am certainly not comparing him to #99 in the day but has the same old hunched down style of skating and great hands around the net.
                        I wouldn't compare him to George Mikan either.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                          I disagree. Maybe some of the hype has clouded your judgment on JL but he is going to be a good one.

SA created all the hype, which is unfair to JL! You are correct in your assessment Aspy. He has great hockey sense, good hands, but is lacking the speed needed to further enhance those skills.

Comment

At least for once, we didn't give up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the BRO's out tonight (and Koudys is in). The 2-on-1 goal, he had the second assignment and let up to create the odd man rush; I don't think I saw him play the rest of the night. At least tonight, unlike previous nights, and as the article did say, we had some serious chances to change the outcome in the third. Obviously I don't like that we aren't winning, but I'm not really bent up on the mistakes we did make (including a few softies on Merriam).

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                              SA created all the hype, which is unfair to JL! You are correct in your assessment Aspy. He has great hockey sense, good hands, but is lacking the speed needed to further enhance those skills.
                              We also hyped him quite a bit on this forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                Boy, I hope you are right. In the 5 or 6 games I have seen him play he has been a non-factor. He hasn't found any gaps. He is small, not a great skater and has just not produced much offense.

Last night we saw another terrible second-period stretch that decided the game. We have seen this lack of focus in the middle period for years and it has lost a lot of games. They outplayed Dartmouth for about 45 minutes, but were terrible for about 10 or 12 minutes in that middle period and that was the game. It is ver frustrating to see this same script night after night.

Comment

Working...
                                X