Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

Originally posted by Beman View Post
    I am an old man but I have a boston whaler with twin 150 screws harbored in Maine. You are paddling. You have a web site WAP begging for money Kinda like a blind man with a cup. You are a loser. But youngster I will fight you any time. Tommorrow is good for me. Got a sack dbag
    I don't see any money near that mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      The $64,000 question. The worst thing of all so far this season is that the defense went to hell just about the same time the offense started improving - I won't say "got better," but it certainly seems to be on its way. Then the one thing that was working stopped working.
      Anyone who's seen more games than me this season (both before AND after Thanksgiving): Would you say that our offense has been taking risks in trying to bolster our scoring numbers, as opposed to playing too tentatively in fear of giving up an odd man rush when we weren't scoring? My point is an inquiry of if our offense is getting better because we happen to be "letting up" on D...

Comment

Think I'll just let him talk to himself. Don't know how asking someone to speak slanderous words to my face rather than behind a computer constitutes an invitation to fight, but I guess it makes sense to him.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Anyone who's seen more games than me this season (both before AND after Thanksgiving): Would you say that our offense has been taking risks in trying to bolster our scoring numbers, as opposed to playing too tentatively in fear of giving up an odd man rush when we weren't scoring? My point is an inquiry of if our offense is getting better because we happen to be "letting up" on D...
          I have to second that. From what I had seen live and on the web this team was playing as a defensive unit out there early in the season. It hurt our offense, but we kept scores low and the games close enough to be in them all pretyy much. We have indeed tried to change the system and become more offensive and no question it has hurt the defense. We are not playing with the same defensive unity that we had earlier and unless we are able to score more than 2 or even 3 goals in a game we are in trouble. This team may just need to pick an identity-be a close checking defensive team and play a bunch of 2-1 games. Or try to be as offensive as we can and try to overcome giving up 4-5 goals or more. I vote for the first choice. Just my 2¢
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            I have to second that. From what I had seen live and on the web this team was playing as a defensive unit out there early in the season. It hurt our offense, but we kept scores low and the games close enough to be in them all pretyy much. We have indeed tried to change the system and become more offensive and no question it has hurt the defense. We are not playing with the same defensive unity that we had earlier and unless we are able to score more than 2 or even 3 goals in a game we are in trouble. This team may just need to pick an identity-be a close checking defensive team and play a bunch of 2-1 games. Or try to be as offensive as we can and try to overcome giving up 4-5 goals or more. I vote for the first choice. Just my 2¢
            So the choice is between losing 2-0 and losing 5-2?
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              So the choice is between losing 2-0 and losing 5-2?
              How about shutting out the other team during regulation and then taking our chances during overtime??
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                How about shutting out the other team during regulation and then taking our chances during overtime??
                If we can do that, but relying upon shutting out another team is quite different. I also feel that playing a defensive game at the expense of offense will hurt recruiting. I suspect that some of our forwards were lured by the prospects of a game relying upon speed and offense.
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-04-2012, 08:56 AM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If we can do that, but relying upon shutting out another team is quite different. I also feel that playing a defensive game at the expense of offense will hurt recruiting. I suspect that some of our forwards were lured by the prospects of a game relying upon speed and offense.
                  Do I need to include an "irony alert" when I am being facetious?
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I also feel that playing a defensive game at the expense of offense will hurt recruiting. I suspect that some of our forwards were lured by the prospects of a game relying upon speed and offense.
                    I respectfully disagree Ralph. If that was the case, Cornell would be at the bottom of the league year after year! Does that mean being offensive minded in the defensive zone? I think that is a very dangerous concept for a team to adopt.
                    Last edited by hockeymascot; 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM.
                    Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      Do I need to include an "irony alert" when I am being facetious?
                      I should have caught that one.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                        I respectfully disagree Ralph. If that was the case, Cornell would be at the bottom of the league year after year! Does that mean being offensive minded in the defensive zone? I think that is a very dangerous concept for a team to adopt.
                        We don't have the talent to do that.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We don't have the talent to do that.
                          Being offensive minded in the defensive zone has nothing to do with offensive talent. If the other team has the puck, how does offensive talent enter into it? You still have to be good defensively in order to get the puck back. I have seen talented players who play a solid defensive game and I have seen less talented players be real strong in their own zone with or without the puck. I have also seen talented players who want nothing to do with playing defensively!!
                          Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                            Being offensive minded in the defensive zone has nothing to do with offensive talent. If the other team has the puck, how does offensive talent enter into it? You still have to be good defensively in order to get the puck back. I have seen talented players who play a solid defensive game and I have seen less talented players be real strong in their own zone with or without the puck. I have also seen talented players who want nothing to do with playing defensively!!
                            Don't bring Croxton into this discussion!

OK, question along these lines: How many of our GA were the result of a stupid turnover resulting in an odd-man rush or break? And how many were because the other team was able to work the puck in the zone and get a goal? I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio is about 3 to 1.

Comment

I'm back after a several week hiatus, happy belated holidays everyone. Sorry to abandon the thread; was busy with family events, and watching the Rangers dominate in the NHL.

What did I miss besides the usual off-topicness and bitterness? Anything? Bueller?

Looking forward to Friday night, especially being on national TV! Maybe we can see our defense get back together a little bit, since the scoring problem seems on its way to being solved. I'm not going to over-analyze things, instead I'll just say it's obvious our defense has fallen apart at the expense of gained offensive push.

I want at least one win this weekend. Go red.
                              Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
                                I want at least one win this weekend. Go red.
                                Does Tuesday count as the weekend?
                                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                                X