Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nation's best-kept secret: U-M * MSU (el) 12/9 & 10

{sssshhhhhh}

Don't wake up the regulars, they're consumed with football.

Re: Nation's best-kept secret: U-M * MSU (el) 12/9 & 10

Denial does great things.

It's a whole lot easier to justify a BCS game over MSU than think about what's wrong with the hockey team. As a whole, I think we are all mystified at the team on the ice. (and remember, the only win in the last month was a pretty lucky)

Apparently, the remodel at Crisler is pretty nice, too.

Or maybe the HUGE big screen is just a distraction to the whole team.

Comment

I am completely not convinced that michigan isn't going to be tough and play well this weekend.

I say there's a split. Each team winning at home.

I am curious to see what kind of plan Anastos has for his first ever big rivalry series.

Comment

Having NOT seen u-m this season, and only going on the strength of rumor, it's hard to predict what will happen.
        What I do know is MSU's had some really solid goaltending the last few weeks, and the scoring has spread from almost exclusively top-line to three lines, with fewer penalties and fewer turnovers.

Rumor would suggest Michigan is struggling to find or regain some chemistry. However, I'll admit to worrying about what a 1-0, losing-streak-snapping win can do for a team's psyche, especially when - if I remember correctly - there was a 0-0 battle for the better part of the contest.

I do think the preceding Alaska trip will be a factor in Friday's game. I'm not sure how your travel office runs things, but it takes an entire waking day from start to finish to get there and the same to get back.

It's a little disappointing to note that MSUSpartans.com had to advertise last night that there are tickets remaining for Saturday's game, given the other major sports are done. However it's been noted elsewhere that Yost is for some reason struggling to fill seats as well.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
          However, I'll admit to worrying about what a 1-0, losing-streak-snapping win can do for a team's psyche, especially when - if I remember correctly - there was a 0-0 battle for the better part of the contest.
          Considering it was an overtime 1-0 win, I'd say it was a 0-0 battle the whole game.

Usually I take a trip to Munn every year, but this year I may be too depressed to watch this team. I'll be at Yost every game though.

I have no idea what to think of this weekend's match up. A few weeks ago I was laughing at how of the 7 D1 hockey schools in Michigan all but MSU were ranked in the top 20. Now I'm wondering if UM will finish in the bottom third of the CCHA.

I guess we'll find out more this weekend.
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

How does State's team look this year?

Why is it so quiet in this thread?

Go Blue!
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Holy dominant third period, Batman!

Too bad the first 40 weren't the same.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                How does State's team look this year?

Why is it so quiet in this thread?

Go Blue!
                Looks pretty good in the third period, I guess. Or the power play does. Pretty even game overall. The blue has some experienced goalscorers and that was the difference. We had our chances earlier but got soundly beaten to the puck in the 2nd period. The Shelgren turnover was just plain silly et voila there's 3-1. 4th line was State's best trio out there.

Comment

Well, pretty exciting game.

MSU played an OK game. We looked sloppy at times with miscues and errant passes and i think that is a big part of what doomed us.

Michigan looked good. I knew those turds would piece together a pretty good game against us after it's been nothing but sandbagging out oftheir fanbase most of the year. Michigan did a great job backchecking and their passes were tape-to-tape most of the game. They were also overall a bit faster than us, but that's usually not a surprise.

And i really wish we could get a game against michigan in without giving Hunwick a chance to draw calls against us.

Comment

Nice rivalry, it is Saturday and this is post number nine.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
                      Well, pretty exciting game.

And i really wish we could get a game against michigan in without giving Hunwick a chance to draw calls against us.
                      Well, the easy way to have that happen is to not run into him....

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Well, the easy way to have that happen is to not run into him....
                        or to watch yerself so you don't get crosschecked into him? If I were to advise our skaters I'd tell them, "Just don't say anything and he'll leave you alone." Sorta like giving a kid the timeout treatment.

Which does not lead to the following: the DVR'd BTN airing of tonight's game will be a better use of space than the Fox Sports 2 1/2 hour homage to anything to do with Yost that began at 7:35 last night, brought to us by Michigan Hockey Net. I will try to keep the 60 or so iterations of Red Wings Hockey Is Like Home campaign. That was more even-handed.
                        Last edited by owslachief; 12-10-2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

The person who got the bright idea to send McInchak and Wilkins to this series should be beaten with shovels on general principle alone.

Both sets of announcers for this weekend deserve the same fate.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

So umm I'm watching this game...where was the Michigan penalty at the end of regulation?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              So umm I'm watching this game...where was the Michigan penalty at the end of regulation?
                              Come on, you didn't see Torey Krug try to draw another penalty, but this time he was successful. Brown lifted his stick, then shoved him in the back during the flurry in front of the net, Krug falls, penalty drawn by the captain to even it up.

Krug can go against 6'2 forwards all night, but when he wants to draw a penalty, he'll go down like he's just learned how to skate. I'm surprised M did not get called for a delayed phantom trip on Krug in OT when he tripped over the snow on the ice. The legs fly out from the MSU players, like on the penalty to K Lynch that tied the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X