Straight on through Seney, NMU vs LSSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight on through Seney, NMU vs LSSU

After and interesting series against Miami, what do people think about this weekend's matchup?
    2004 Alumni. Season Ticket holder since 2004. Go Cats!

Re: Straight on through Seney, NMU vs LSSU

I see this as a knock down, drag out kind of series... Lake State is for real and can't be happy with their recent games against the Buck Nuts... NMU is coming in with confidence after their success through this past weekend's adversity... Both teams could use 6 points in the standings...

Overall, I'm still adjusting to the fact that the CCHA has 9 potential NCAA teams at this point... The depth of the conference this year is unbelievable... Each week is a test...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Could be a good series if Northern shows up on the road.

I just took a brief look at the CCHA and Overall Stats on the CCHA site. These two teams seem to be fairly evenly matched on paper in most of the categories except penalty minutes of course. NMU will have to stay out of the penalty box. LSSU has low overall penalty minutes. Scoring wise, LSSU holds a slight edge. In goal Ellingson has a little better numbers than Kapalka in GAA & Saves%, but Kapalka has the better wins%.

I hope NMU students and fans make the trip to the Soo in order to fill up the seats at Abel Arena. Will they? Also, I was wondering why there were so many empty seats during the Miami series? Even in the "sell outs" this year, as I watch online there seem to be numerous vacant seats. Is attendance down overall?

I'll be watching online again this weekend. Does anyone know what the LSSU America One feed is like--worth the $8?

Just to be loyal, I'm picking NMU both nights...but I think it could go either way depending on what NMU team shows up, especially on the road. Last week I went against the Wildcats and picked Miami--it was good to see NMU step it up both nights. Friday was great playing without several key defensemen.

Go 'Cats!
      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Re: Attendance. There is a combination of things affecting the look of attendance. A LOT of people prefer to stand around the concourse of the Berry (to the point where its miserable to attempt to walk around during intermission) and they offer a five-pack of tickets, where its actually cheaper than buying four tickets. They've been pushing the cheaper five pack (which is supposed to be for two adults and three children) on anyone, I'm sure, in an attempt to boost attendance numbers and draw fans to the games. I know if I could round up three other people, I'd certainly try to take advantage of the "family" pack.

Honestly, I don't know how this weekend is going to shake out. I think it depends on the verdict we all read from @MattWellens after the courtroom drama today.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Honestly, I don't know how this weekend is going to shake out. I think it depends on the verdict we all read from @MattWellens after the courtroom drama today.
          From Wellens' tweets it looks like something has already been decided at least for the time being: WellensTweetsLink. Some charges dismissed on 3 of the guys and 4 plead "no contest" and delay sentence.

Curious, what kind of student ticket program for hockey does Northern offer students? The puckhead section at the north end student section does not look very well attended at times. And, will many fans or students be making the trip to the Soo? From the sound of the LSSU thread they have had a tough time with attendance this year even though they've been winning for the most part.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
            Curious, what kind of student ticket program for hockey does Northern offer students? The puckhead section at the north end student section does not look very well attended at times. And, will many fans or students be making the trip to the Soo? From the sound of the LSSU thread they have had a tough time with attendance this year even though they've been winning for the most part.
            Absolutely free with valid student ID and enrolled for full-time credits. During the week you can get tickets ahead of time at any NMU ticket office, or day of at the PEIF/BEC entrance.

Attendance was an issue when I was there too. Good turn outs for some games, others would be dead.

The road trips to the Soo were much easier a few years ago when it was treated as a home-and-home series for both weekends. Made for a great drive over to the Soo for a day/evening. Weather was always the iffy part, but we would caravan together with other fans in case anything happened. Apparently LSSU wanted to make the change, as they felt it was more economical to spend money in MQT for the weekend than bus back.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Re: Attendance. There is a combination of things affecting the look of attendance. A LOT of people prefer to stand around the concourse of the Berry (to the point where its miserable to attempt to walk around during intermission) and they offer a five-pack of tickets, where its actually cheaper than buying four tickets. They've been pushing the cheaper five pack (which is supposed to be for two adults and three children) on anyone, I'm sure, in an attempt to boost attendance numbers and draw fans to the games. I know if I could round up three other people, I'd certainly try to take advantage of the "family" pack.Honestly, I don't know how this weekend is going to shake out. I think it depends on the verdict we all read from @MattWellens after the courtroom drama today.
              The concourse offers the best view and most comfort. That "family" pack is a good deal.

Comment

I don't know what games you're watching but the NMU Student Section and The Puckheads fill it up each and every game. I agree with Aparch and I'm one who buys a ticket and stands at the rail. I change ends from period to period.

NMU has a fan bus headed to Sault St. Marie for the Saturday game. It's about time and hopfully they will do the same for Tech in January.

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                  I don't know what games you're watching but the NMU Student Section and The Puckheads fill it up each and every game.
                  Okay, you know better than me. I'm simply watching the crappy America One online feed and sometimes the north end just doesn't look all that full: I did say "does not look very well attended at times." I was making a weak observation.

I guess my overall point or concern is this: If admission is free for the students they should really be packing it in every home weekend, filling up the what looks to me like many vacant seats. But I haven't been up there on a regular basis since 1981 and Lakeview Arena was nearly always packed. The last games I went to at the BEC were end of the season games against LSSU in late Feb. 2010. There was low attendance at those games, even though NMU was having a great turnaround season, but I guess the students were on break.

Another question I have is this: How much of a "hockey culture" is there with the students at NMU these days? I mean football and basketball haven't been that great lately--at least in my memory. And Marquette in general has a well established hockey culture, right?

Thanks for the answers.

Comment

NMU truely is a "Hockey School". Between 600-800 students attend games when not on break and have become quite boisterous. While The Puckheads are the focal point in the section, there are many halls, associations and fraternities who attend regularly as groups. The crowds in general seem to be late in arriving and normal attendance this season has been around 3200 in a standing room sellout arena of about 4200.

Recently, the athletic department has voiced concern with vulgarity from students but other than contacting The Puckheads in attempt to spread the word has done nothing. As in the past, The Puckheads while treading a fine line usually aren't the ones responsibile for such vulgarity...they just do it in many other clever ways!!!

Comment

I'll be watching online again this weekend. Does anyone know what the LSSU America One feed is like--worth the $8?

Go 'Cats!
                      The quality is not the greatest. There is only one camera angle from center ice, and the picture is usually somewhat blurry. There are no replays. I still think it beats just listening on the radio though.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                        The quality is not the greatest. There is only one camera angle from center ice, and the picture is usually somewhat blurry. There are no replays. I still think it beats just listening on the radio though.
                        Thanks, sounds the same as the NMU feed. Although this last weekend against Miami they must have had a better camera, cameras in the corners, and replay. The student announcers didn't do too bad of a job either.

So, Laker Dude, what do you think, are these two fairly similar teams this year? Stat-wise, they seem to be.

Hopefully, we'll all see a good series.

Comment

Thanks, sounds the same as the NMU feed. Although this last weekend against Miami they must have had a better camera, cameras in the corners, and replay. The student announcers didn't do too bad of a job either.

So, Laker Dude, what do you think, are these two fairly similar teams this year? Stat-wise, they seem to be.

Hopefully, we'll all see a good series.
                          I think that this weekend will turn out to be a split, with both games probably being 1 goal games. I have not seen Northern play since the first weekend of the season when they were in Madison. There was not a whole lot of 5x5 play, but I guess that is normal early in the season. With so much special teams play it was tough to tell what Northern had at that point. Sounds like they have had some exciting home games since then against Michigan, Notre Dame, and Miami.

This is probably the first time in 15 years that a NMU vs. LSSU series has meaning for both teams, so I am definitely excited about that.

Comment

Something to read from The Mining Journal, click here: Wildcats-Lakers-Huskies

Comment

First time in the Taffy this year for me. Should be some fun and I'm glad to hear some fans are making it over. Hope to see the place filled up and raucous.
                              Embrace the hate.

Comment

Working...
                              X