Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kid: Stevenson Starts Women's Program

http://www.uscho.com/2011/12/01/new-...omens-program/

Here's my column for this week on Stevenson starting up D-III women's hockey next year for the 2012-13 season.

Great to talk with Coach Vis and I think Stevenson is in this to become a factor in D-III women's hockey and not just the 50th team to have it.

Re: New Kid: Stevenson Starts Women's Program

Originally posted by Derek Dunning View Post
    http://www.uscho.com/2011/12/01/new-...omens-program/

Here's my column for this week on Stevenson starting up D-III women's hockey next year for the 2012-13 season.

Great to talk with Coach Vis and I think Stevenson is in this to become a factor in D-III women's hockey and not just the 50th team to have it.
    Nice piece Derek. Really happy for coach's Vis and Lye but really disappointed that the ECAC West voted not to accept them. My understanding is that the vote was close and one team.... whom by the way should have little business in determining anyones fate, was the deciding vote....

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
      Nice piece Derek. Really happy for coach's Vis and Lye but really disappointed that the ECAC West voted not to accept them. My understanding is that the vote was close and one team.... whom by the way should have little business in determining anyones fate, was the deciding vote....
      I agree that it's too bad the ECAC West voted them down. We should be finding ways to expand our game, not be detrimental to growth. JMO.

Maybe next year the story will be different with the ever-changing landscape of D-III women's hockey.

Comment

Are you saying the school that shouldn't be "determining anyone's fate" is a school that does not field a good team or is it a school that may not be in the conference (or in D3) much longer?
        RIT Tigers
        Boston Bruins

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBruin View Post
          Are you saying the school that shouldn't be "determining anyone's fate" is a school that does not field a good team or is it a school that may not be in the conference (or in D3) much longer?
          I'm saying both.

Comment

I'm saying both.
            I've heard it was more like the SUNY's (Denied) vs the Privates (Accept) regarding Stevenson getting into the league. One school on the private side went with the SUNY's because of travel, cost containment, and they want their men's team to be able to join the SUNYAC in the near future. But since we're not mentioning any names on here, they wear orange but not black and orange.
            RIT TIGERS
            2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post
              I've heard it was more like the SUNY's (Denied) vs the Privates (Accept) regarding Stevenson getting into the league. One school on the private side went with the SUNY's because of travel, cost containment, and they want their men's team to be able to join the SUNYAC in the near future. But since we're not mentioning any names on here, they wear orange but not black and orange.
              Well that sure was coy...
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post
                No doubt that a major realignment in the ECAC West is afoot..but I've read before on these boards that the SUNY love-in was not happening until 2016 and RIT had to wait 14 years to go D1 so...I wonder what any of that has to do with ECAC West accepting Stevenson this year?

I shudder to think that the final decision would come down to the SUNY bus gas budget...that would be a real shame.
                Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 12-01-2011, 10:38 PM. Reason: spell chick

Comment

I heard from a few people in the rinks that it had everything to do with travel. For most teams in the west it would require two nights of hotels, three days of meals, and three days with bus. It could cost schools 5K-7K just to play two games. If I was a voting AD, and our league already had an AQ, why would I vote to take on this expense. Do you think we would be having this conversation if Naz had decide to add women's hockey also?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                    I heard from a few people in the rinks that it had everything to do with travel. For most teams in the west it would require two nights of hotels, three days of meals, and three days with bus. It could cost schools 5K-7K just to play two games. If I was a voting AD, and our league already had an AQ, why would I vote to take on this expense. Do you think we would be having this conversation if Naz had decide to add women's hockey also?
                    I disagree completely with the assertion that for "most teams" it would require two nights hotel and three days of meals. With a night game the first night, every one of those schools with the exception of probably Platty and Potsdam could make the trip the day of the game. Even with a 6-ish hour trip, you can leave at a decent hour...say 8am...and make it to your destination by 2 in the afternoon. Plenty of time to sit down for a pregame meal, get the bus legs out, and skate at 7pm. You probably play at 2 or 3pm the second day, and you are out of the rink by 5 or 6 pm and home around midnight. Sure you'd rather have a 3 hour trip, but that is not an unreasonable schedule, especially considering it's only a trip you'd have to make EVERY OTHER season.

Rough travel times to Owings Mills, MD

Buff St: 6:15
                    Elmira: 4:15
                    Chatham: 4:00
                    Utica: 6:00
                    Cortland: 4:45
                    Oswego: 6:00
                    Platty: 8:15
                    RIT: 5:15
                    Neumann: 1:15
                    Potsdam: 8:00

And if it's true that it was the SUNYAC's and Utica that voted against this, then why is Buff State driving to Plymouth (an 8 hour trip) for 2 games and a single at Castleton? Sure it's 3 games instead of two...but 3 nights hotel, 4 days worth of meals...

Cortland drove 3:30 hours to play 2 games against a club team. They can't drive an extra hour and 15 mins every other year to play a varsity team?

Oswego is driving 4.5 hours to play a single non conference game against Amherst and later in the season is driving a little over 5 hours to play two non conference games against Sacred Heart...but 6 hours every other year for a couple of league games is too much?

Then when you factor in that there is already a team in the league that is a very large distance from virtually every other school...that is not committed to their program, does not provide it the resources to be successful, and has not played a varsity non-conference game in 2 years but you're letting them stick around at the expense of a team that actually wants to put a good product on the ice, I can see where it's a little frustrating.

Do what's best for the game and help grow the sport, especially if travel is the best excuse they can come up with...because at least to me, it doesnt look like their actions are supporting what their mouths are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                      Do what's best for the game and help grow the sport, especially if travel is the best excuse they can come up with...
                      To be fair, they haven't come up with any "excuse". As far as I know, the ECAC West has been silent on the issue.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        To be fair, they haven't come up with any "excuse". As far as I know, the ECAC West has been silent on the issue.

Powers &8^]
                        I'd say the result of the vote speaks plenty...wouldn't you?
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Can't help but think that one way to have averted all of this is to have disallowed any voting member from casting a ballot that has had sanctions placed against their programs for NCAA recruiting violations.

The inmates are running the asylum here folks.

Comment

Can't help but think that one way to have averted all of this is to have disallowed any voting member from casting a ballot that has had sanctions placed against their programs for NCAA recruiting violations.

The inmates are running the asylum here folks.
                            Is that a potshot?
                            Illegitimum non carborundum
                            Cartman: Ma'am, the Crack Baby Athletic Association is a storied institution that was founded over twelve days ago.
                            Cartman:Should I admit I was wrong, ask for everyone's forgiveness and go back to my original team? Nah, screw that, I'm just gonna keep being a d**k.
                            Cartman: Screw you sir, I'm going home.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              I'd say the result of the vote speaks plenty...wouldn't you?
                              I'm just saying "The only reason we can think of that they would have rejected the application is distance" is not the same as "They said Stevenson was too far away".

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                              X