Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU / BC Home and Home 12/2 - 12/3 Could we really be done with each other by Dec 3?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU / BC Home and Home 12/2 - 12/3 Could we really be done with each other by Dec

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
    BC's team really isn't that bad this year.
    This is very false.
    Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
    They have a lot of young talent with tremendous upside.
    This, I agree with, but it's going to be a year or two. As in, not this year.
    Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Is that because of the year that BC is having so far? Or just not interested in basketball at all? What if BC were having a more typical year for them?
    Even while I was at BC and we weren't really that bad, I would attend basketball games only when a part of the pep band or when we were playing Duke/UNC. If we beat a good team, then woo, awesome, I'd be excited. If we lost, I wouldn't give 1/8 of a ****. I hate basketball in general and tolerate BC basketball pretty much only because of the logo on their jerseys. There was also a pretty significant chunk of BC fans (especially among the hockey crowd) who were really turned off from the basketball team, especially over the last few years, because of the team's seeming lack of interest in interacting with the rest of the student body. Case in point is when they would turn down invites to pep rallies. Just dumb. Thankfully, there is a lot of hope with the new coach and he's definitely a guy who's building my respect for the program. But, the fact of the matter is, even if BC hoops is doing really well, I'll be super pumped when we win and not care when we lose. I'm about as bandwagon as it gets.
    Originally posted by Agganis View Post
    Yeah, it's fun having building your work schedule around BU Hockey, and having no life.
    I see no problem with this, except for the fact that it's BU hockey, so it truly is a waste of life. But, were it BC, I would love it.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Re: BU / BC Home and Home 12/2 - 12/3 Could we really be done with each other by Dec

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
      I've been waiting 5 years for BC to play us in basketball. I only wish they had done it last year when we still had Holland. Still it should be exciting. Would have been better at a more neutral place, BC fans would have vastly outnumbered BU fans anyway, I'm not sure many BU fans will be there. I agree that 2 sporting events in one day is asking a lot from BU fans (though other schools would probably see it as the greatest day ever) who can barely find their way to a bball game any other day of the year. Does anyone know how to get tickets? If BU wins all three games, I might just stop watching sports because I don't think it can get any better than that. Unless we bring back football and play a three sport triple-header against them and sweep.
      Honest question, but what benefit would it be to BC to play BU in hoops every year? I'm being completely serious. Anyway, with Jones having worked with Donahue and how coaches always talk about not wanting to play former assistants, who knows if this will continue going forward.

BC would have beaten BU last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if BU won this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
        Anybody also going to the BU-BC Hoop game Saturday afternoon?

The way BC is playing this year it's anybody's game.
        It's too bad there isn't a basketball Beanpot. We could finally see an NU/Harvard final!
        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Honest question, but what benefit would it be to BC to play BU in hoops every year? I'm being completely serious. Anyway, with Jones having worked with Donahue and how coaches always talk about not wanting to play former assistants, who knows if this will continue going forward.

BC would have beaten BU last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if BU won this one.
          I get what you are saying but it isnt like for example BC hockey scheduling Bentley where we would have lots to lose and nothing to gain. I think BC and BU should play hoops every year...................take Harvard off the schedule since we can't beat them and get something going with BU. I agree with the poster above, if there was a line for saturday's game, BU would be the favorite i think. also, Donahue needs another recruiting class, we have i think two years of misery and then i have the confidence we will see teams like his sweet 16 Cornell team and that would be fun to watch

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
            I get what you are saying but it isnt like for example BC hockey scheduling Bentley where we would have lots to lose and nothing to gain. I think BC and BU should play hoops every year...................take Harvard off the schedule since we can't beat them and get something going with BU
            No.

...No. :shakeshead: :facepalm: Seriously. No.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              It's true, on paper BC does not have a lot to gain by playing BU every year. On the other hand every major conference team has several OOC games against teams from weaker conferences. This holds true for BC as well. Given that, why shouldn't BC play BU every year when the alternative is to schedule other teams of similar stature such as Bryant, St Francis (NY), Maine, etc etc?

Wouldn't a BC / BU game at least have a chance of turning into something moderately "special" as compared to having the N.J.I.T Highlanders visit Conte?

Comment

Every major conference team needs to fatten up on mid-major opponents before their conference schedule starts. Having BU as a sacrificial lamb to play at Conte each year would probably benefit both schools, as I'm sure BU would put more fans in the seats than the average non-conference mid-major, and it means less traveling in the early season for BU.

You probably wouldn't get BC to ever play at BU though, unfortunately.
                #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                  You probably wouldn't get BC to ever play at BU though, unfortunately.
                  BU/BC hoops is scheduled for this year and two more years. Three seasons of play in total. Alternating Conte/Agganis/Conte. Surprising, I know.

Depending on the outcome of this year and a few other things, I could see them changing it to all three at Conte (unless this is a set-in-stone contract). However, the fact that the three games have been scheduled for certain is already more than I'd anticipated.

Comment

The issue from BC's POV is the thing that could turn "special" is seeing BU as a "bad loss" when tourney time comes around where the odds of a win vs Bryant, etc are much greater. Granted that won't be an issue this year.

I like the idea of playing more local teams in our OOC though starting with BU, Holy Cross, etc...

As for the program, this rebuilding year was inevitable once Skinner started stacking classes ala UML especially when you add the best player leaving for the NBA as a junior.

I enjoy watching the basketball team even though they might struggle for 10 wins this year -ability to see growth, growing pains, etc...

Comment

It's true, on paper BC does not have a lot to gain by playing BU every year. On the other hand every major conference team has several OOC games against teams from weaker conferences. This holds true for BC as well. Given that, why shouldn't BC play BU every year when the alternative is to schedule other teams of similar stature such as Bryant, St Francis (NY), Maine, etc etc?
                      Because BC doesn't care nearly as much about playing BU as BU does about playing us. BU would be much more up for that game than, say, a similarly talented St. Francis (NY) team. Which means there'd be a bigger chance of an upset.
                      Wouldn't a BC / BU game at least have a chance of turning into something moderately "special" as compared to having the N.J.I.T Highlanders visit Conte?
                      BC does not care about playing BU in hoops. It would be "special" for BU. Not for us.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                        The issue from BC's POV is the thing that could turn "special" is seeing BU as a "bad loss" when tourney time comes around where the odds of a win vs Bryant, etc are much greater.
                        Hence why I doubted BC would ever travel down Comm Ave to play at Agganis. In my experience when big conference teams travel to mid-majors its anybody's game, but they seldom lose at home. Generally speaking, it's too risky for teams who might potentially be on the tournament bubble to play many games in a mid-major's barn.

Of course, the dynamics of this rivalry are a bit different since you'd probably have a mixed crowd wherever the game is played.
                        #OneKnight

Comment

I would respectfully suggest that success in Friday night's game for Boston College is very important.
                          They remain very thin on the blueline and one would suggest that Saturday night game two for the weekend at Boston University will be tall task for the defensive group of Boston College.

That said, really looking forward to the weekend and these two quality teams going at it.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyDan View Post
                            BU/BC hoops is scheduled for this year and two more years. Three seasons of play in total. Alternating Conte/Agganis/Conte. Surprising, I know.

Depending on the outcome of this year and a few other things, I could see them changing it to all three at Conte (unless this is a set-in-stone contract). However, the fact that the three games have been scheduled for certain is already more than I'd anticipated.
                            are you sure this is true? what incentive would bc have to play at agganis?
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              are you sure this is true? what incentive would bc have to play at agganis?
                              It's a 15 minute bus ride.

That's the only incentive I see and it's not a big one.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJoe View Post
                                It's a 15 minute bus ride.

That's the only incentive I see and it's not a big one.
                                Don't give much of a rat's arse about hoops, but I don't imagine you can play every single mid-major contest in your home arena. Your team must have to travel sometimes. I recall Duke coming to BU 20 years ago, as well as Michigan a few years ago. Regarding this particular game, you give your fans an easy away game to travel to in a large arena down the street instead of a far away barn out in the sticks. Why not schedule that game once in awhile?

Regarding hockey (the real reason why we're here) I was unaware of any trouble with BC's defensive corps. Are there some injuries or are some players not playing up to expectations?
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X