Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMaine, 2011-2012 season thread, does anyone care anymore?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine, 2011-2012 season thread, does anyone care anymore?

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    I'm not going to get on Whitehead today. The championship game v UMass was a bit of a letdown, but that's Cornell's fault for not taking care of their own business.

Maine wasn't perfect by any means, and this was one of the weakest fields ever to hit the Everblades . . . but Maine looked good. I don't think I'm all that biased any more -- and Maine was the only one of the four teams that was consistently fun to watch. Their stickhandling and, especially, their passing was just on a different level than the other teams.

I'll put aside the sarcasm for now. I'm actually curious to find out if this team can compete with stronger competition, the way they're playing right now. Won't be long before we find out.

I've felt this way many times in the past several years. When Maine beat CC in the Florida tourney; last year vs ND and series w/ Mack at home; this years series @ ND even; and two yrs ago when Maine beat Lowell in the quarters, smashed BU, and then came oh-so-close to getting by BC in the championship. Like "...****. maybe we've got something here." And then feeling let down, disappointed, then angry, and then seemingly hopeful again. Its a cycle I don't care to repeat. Again. And again. And. Again. But I can't seem to stop paying attention to this program. I want to be wrong so terribly bad. Hockey is my number 1 hobby. I absolutely love watching, listening, reading or writing about The Bruins and I would trade every success or positive accomplishment the Bruins ever had just to make Maine Black Bear hockey relevant again. I just have very little hope left that Maine will be where I wish them to be with Whathead still in charge.

This probably isn't at all what you feel, but it is what your post made me think of.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      Florida College Classic next two years of teams were announced: Maine/Cornell Host teams along with Ferris State & Minnesota-Duluth for next year and the year after that the field will have the 2 Host teams Maine/Cornell and UNH & North Dakota.
      And which year is the team playing in the icebreaker? Good slate of NC games either way.

Comment

Originally posted by chripy View Post
        [/I][/B]

This probably isn't at all what you feel, but it is what your post made me think of.
        I think I know the feeling. It's just that I moved away from New England 5 years ago. I'm not as invested in the program as I used to be - which makes it easier to be an optimist. There's less to lose. If the team falls on its head over the next month, it won't be nearly as hard to turn the page as it used to be.

If I thought there was a chance for major changes in the program, it might be different. But nothing's happening this year - or next. For the time being, I just hope for entertaining hockey. I give Maine credit - they delivered on that this week.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

And which year is the team playing in the icebreaker? Good slate of NC games either way.
          Next Year...and they will allowed to have a 36 games regular season slate of games...compared to the 34 each year...I think/not sure but if they play in the Ice Breaker they can go over with those two games.

Comment

[/I][/B]

I've felt this way many times in the past several years. When Maine beat CC in the Florida tourney; last year vs ND and series w/ Mack at home; this years series @ ND even; and two yrs ago when Maine beat Lowell in the quarters, smashed BU, and then came oh-so-close to getting by BC in the championship. Like "...****. maybe we've got something here." And then feeling let down, disappointed, then angry, and then seemingly hopeful again. Its a cycle I don't care to repeat. Again. And again. And. Again. But I can't seem to stop paying attention to this program. I want to be wrong so terribly bad. Hockey is my number 1 hobby. I absolutely love watching, listening, reading or writing about The Bruins and I would trade every success or positive accomplishment the Bruins ever had just to make Maine Black Bear hockey relevant again. I just have very little hope left that Maine will be where I wish them to be with Whathead still in charge.

I hear you loud and clear...and the clear part is the ERA of TW is over...nothing will change that..(imo).

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
              Nice fields the next two years
              I was just going to say the same thing. I may have to make it to Florida for the next two years in a row. Very respectable fields and should be a lot of fun. This years field basically sucked donkey balls. Even Billet would have had field days if he could have stayed away from the chocolate glazed donuts. Hopefully Maine has a new, fresh coach behind the bench (hi Jimmy) for the next two Florida Classics.
              sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                I think I know the feeling. It's just that I moved away from New England 5 years ago. I'm not as invested in the program as I used to be - which makes it easier to be an optimist. There's less to lose. If the team falls on its head over the next month, it won't be nearly as hard to turn the page as it used to be.

If I thought there was a chance for major changes in the program, it might be different. But nothing's happening this year - or next. For the time being, I just hope for entertaining hockey. I give Maine credit - they delivered on that this week.
                It used to be I looked forward to the weedend games and wouldnt think of at least catching them on radio at the least. I didnt even bother to tune in to the Florida final. Thats how far I personally have lost interest in the Whathead era teams. Sad, but thats the way it is. We need new blood bad before loyal and long term fans are gone forever.
                sure why not

Comment

[/I][/B]

I think most of us feel this way. I could care less who coaches the team as long as they are fun to watch and competitive. They win a few and I get all excited then they stink the place up against a good team, its been driving me crazy for several years now. I'm all excited again, wasn't going to go to Vermont but its my sons birthday and he wants to go, so... Off to Alfond again hoping the good team shows up
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

TIMMAY must be breathing easier now that it's shown he's not the worst coach in HE.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      I think most of us feel this way. I could care less who coaches the team as long as they are fun to watch and competitive. They win a few and I get all excited then they stink the place up against a good team, its been driving me crazy for several years now. I'm all excited again, wasn't going to go to Vermont but its my sons birthday and he wants to go, so... Off to Alfond again hoping the good team shows up
                      they may not have th best team or most etertaining team, but, they may just have the best and most entertaining forward line in the country....

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        TIMMAY must be breathing easier now that it's shown he's not the worst coach in HE.
                        Well, maybe not at this exact moment, but he's certainly in the running.

Nice to see Maine bring home some hardware, however meaningless is was re: the PWR. (The field down there was the weakest ever in Estero, IMO.)

Tim got a gift-job after Shawn died, and was charged with continuing to get to the NCAAs, and maybe a FF on occasion. He got a completely unwarranted gift from a lame-duck AD a few years later, too... A perfect storm.

I have no doubt that he's done his best, but he's come up waaay short, if the money coming in to the athletics is any indication. ( I quit contributing a couple of years ago, and clearly I'm not alone in that regard.)

Maine has made Tim a millionaire, if he has taken care of his money... Time for him to negotiate a modest parachute buyout, if only out of a sense of gratitude and personal integrity. PLEASE!

He was in the right place at the right time at one point, but he's not there anymore, and he hasn't been in quite a while. It's gotten to the point where it's embarrassing to discuss Maine with anyone who follows college hockey.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-01-2012, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MainePuck View Post
                          they may not have th best team or most etertaining team, but, they may just have the best and most entertaining forward line in the country....
                          This may be true, lets see how they do this month

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            You talking about Toot? My guess is he is history after this season.

NU beat Minnesota, what the heck, thats a great win for them. I thought they looked like crap at Alfond but I guess they are getting it together

Comment

You talking about Toot? My guess is he is history after this season.

NU beat Minnesota, what the heck, thats a great win for them. I thought they looked like crap at Alfond but I guess they are getting it together
                              NU is 6-0-1 in their last 7 gms...with wins over Michigan,Minnesota and they swept Notre Dame in a two game set at ND.

Comment

I think that for the most part Maine's performances have been pretty good this year. The only games they've played bad in were against BC and UML. They fell apart in the third against BU but the Flynn sending off completely changed that game and from what I have read he shouldn't have gone. They need to do a better job of turning games like they played against MC, UND, and UNH into wins. I think that determines how far Maine goes.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X