X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXII

Originally posted by duper View Post
    We couldn't disagree more.

When a greater number of teams show that they have the ability to be a national presence, more fans become invested in the sport. More fans means more money, more exposure, more everything (including, of course ,the negatives that have befallen the major college sports like football and basketball)

And one team might make the frozen four on a fluke, but four don't. If those four teams go to the frozen four, calling it a pillow fight strikes me as unwilling to accept the facts as they unfold. If those four make the frozen four, then it will be a normal frozen four, featuring fantastic hockey, played by surprising teams.

One last thought, as a counter-point: here is a frozen four that I would find extremely boring - Minnesota, North Dakota, Boston University, Michigan. Those are all powerhouse teams that wouldn't surprise anyone by making it. But that is a boring-arse F-4. (Well, maybe not in Quizmire's household. )
    If Lowell, Union, Merrimack and Ferris St comprise the F4, send me a picture of you sitting in my seat surrounded by 17,000 empty chairs...
    Soon to be lurking for two decades !

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
      The United States of hockey reviewed the standout players of the Vlad Durzilla (U-17) Tournament which Team USA won.

Butcher was accompanied by 2 other DU recruits--Greg Ausmus and Connor Chatham.
      Butcher may become DU's most important recruit since Paul Stastny. He has the potential become a top 10 NHL Draft selection.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        Butcher may become DU's most important recruit since Paul Stastny. He has the potential become a top 10 NHL Draft selection.
        Pretty awesome. Is he at DU next year, or the year after?

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
          Pretty awesome. Is he at DU next year, or the year after?
          He's part of DU's absolutely loaded 2013 class.

2012 Recruiting Class
          F Tyler Pham (Indiana Ice, USHL)
          D Dakota Mermis (Green Bay, USHL)
          D Matt Van Voorhis (Sioux Falls, USHL)
          F Garrett Allen (Des Moines, USHL)
          D Nolan Zajac (Omaha, USHL)
          F Quentin Shore (U.S. Under-18)
          F Grant Arnold (Green Bay, USHL)
          F Gabe Levin (Fairbanks, NAHL)

2013 Recruiting Class
          F Brad Hawkinson (Lincoln Stars, USHL)
          F Landon Smith (Cedar Rapids, USHL)
          F Connor Chatham (U.S. Under-17)
          F Ray Pigozzi (Chicago, USHL)
          D Will Butcher (U.S. Under-17)
          F Cody DePourcq (Penticton, BCHL)

2014 Recruiting Class
          F Jared Fiegl (Colorado Rampage, U-16)
          D Gage Ausmus (U.S. Under-17)
          F Trevor Moore (Tri-Cities, USHL)

Comment

There's no question. LOL Listen to any Gwozdecky interview..... and count how many times he says that. You'll be laughing LOL
            I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post
              Hey DU fans where were you this weekend? From my observations of the final five and other road venues is you don't travel very well.

I think I saw 4 DU fans there out of 15,000. Badgers have had are terrible year. Last night was very sweet. Watching George walk off the ice all glassy eyed was priceless. Your team has great size and skill. They are a bit young.Other DU teams that have played here were more polished at important points in the games. Even Friday their effort was at best even with Bucky. Bucky just could not score. For DU to go deep this post season they need to get more aggressive in their offensive end. They did not match
              what I have seen from UND and Minny earlier this season.
              I was there, both nights. Love the UW band - DU wishes we had that kind of spirit. AWESOME. You didn't see me? I wasn't in my seat very long; I got up & went looking for the beer guy. I can't imagine what UW is like on football game days.
              I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                He's part of DU's absolutely loaded 2013 class.
                It seems like we have had loaded freshmen classes since 2004. Just think of the talent that has come and gone since then. Yeah baby!!! #8 coming soon to a theater near you!!!
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                  It seems like we have had loaded freshmen classes since 2004. Just think of the talent that has come and gone since then. Yeah baby!!! #8 coming soon to a theater near you!!!
                  Dmann, I didn't even think about it at the time, but I'll bet I was in your neck o'the woods this past summer. I went on a road trip that took me through quite a bit of Maine. Seemed like a nice place on the whole.

Comment

Update on DU Recruits

2012 Recruiting Class (GP G A P PIM +/-)
                    F Tyler Pham (Indiana Ice, USHL) 36 2 7 9 14 -1
                    D Dakota Mermis (Green Bay, USHL) 42 5 15 20 58 18
                    D Matt Van Voorhis (Sioux Falls, USHL) 36 7 8 15 40 -15
                    F Garrett Allen (Des Moines, USHL) 36 3 16 19 34 -2
                    D Nolan Zajac (Omaha, USHL) 37 7 23 30 14 2
                    F Quentin Shore (U.S. Under-18) 15 4 1 5 4 4
                    F Grant Arnold (Green Bay, USHL) 21 4 6 10 16 7
                    F Gabe Levin (Fairbanks, NAHL) 45 14 64 78 25 32

2013 Recruiting Class
                    F Brad Hawkinson (Lincoln Stars, USHL) 27 1 5 6 22 0
                    F Landon Smith (Cedar Rapids, USHL) 38 6 9 15 10 -5
                    F Connor Chatham (U.S. Under-17) 23 2 8 10 18 -8
                    F Ray Pigozzi (Chicago/Des Moines USHL) 28 3 15 18 6 5
                    D Will Butcher (U.S. Under-17) 22 2 5 7 2 3
                    F Cody DePourcq (Penticton, BCHL) 51 6 11 17 24 na

2014 Recruiting Class
                    F Jared Fiegl (Colorado Rampage, U-16) 39 11 11 22 27 na (4.0 GPA)
                    D Gage Ausmus (U.S. Under-17) 23 2 3 5 8 -5
                    F Trevor Moore (Tri-Cities, USHL) 39 10 16 26 6 -4
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

DJ Powers of Hockey's Future ranks Scott Mayfield as the 5th best NCAA D-man.

5. Scott Mayfield, Freshman, University of Denver
                      NHL Rights: New York Islanders
                      Drafted: 2nd Round, 34th overall, 2011

Someone once said that through adversity comes opportunity. And it's a fitting description for Scott Mayfield's freshman campaign thus far.

The St. Louis, MO native's season got off to a strong start to his 2011-12 campaign. He posted his first collegiate career point (an assist) in the Pioneers' season-opener versus Boston College on October 14th and posted his first goal a week later versus Minnesota State-Mankato on October 22nd. On the season thus far, Mayfield has posted seven points (two goals, six assists) playing in 29 games.

Two of Mayfield's attributes that were noticeable almost immediately were his rugged style and strong skating ability. As his season progressed, Mayfield's use of his 6'4, 200 pound frame became increasingly evident, particularly in protecting the puck.

When the Pioneers were hit with injuries to two of their key defensemen in senior John Ryder and sophomore David Makowski, that opened the door for Mayfield to have an expanded role and increased ice time, particularly on the power play. Mayfield displays great poise with the puck, but his sometime ill-advised decisions with it, such as holding on to the puck too long, were also apparent. However, it's an area that should gradually improve as his collegiate career and development progresses.
                      http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...aa_defensemen/
                      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                        DJ Powers of Hockey's Future ranks Scott Mayfield as the 5th best NCAA D-man.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...aa_defensemen/
                        Is that based on NHL potential, or on current performance? Just wondering, cause some would argue (me included) that he isn't even the best d-man at DU. He's certainly good, but it's still very early in his college career and I think he still has a lot to prove.

Comment

Is that based on NHL potential, or on current performance? Just wondering, cause some would argue (me included) that he isn't even the best d-man at DU. He's certainly good, but it's still very early in his college career and I think he still has a lot to prove.
                          DJ's criteria
                          The 12 players (there's a three-way tie for 10th) represented here are ranked based on development and NHL potential.
                          Also hearing some rumblings about the AVs moving Stastny before the trade deadline. As they have the lowest payroll in the NHL and are just above cap minimum, they would need to get an equal or greater contract in return. They can't do a salary dump with him. Chances are probably pretty low that they will move him but you never know.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Scott has improved as the season progressed, but as you said still has room for improvement. Another 10-20 pounds on that lanky frame will certainly help.

Mayfield and BU's Clendening are the 2 youngest players in this group.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Florida Panthers have updated (2/21/12) their prospects page on HF Boards.
                              http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...rida_panthers/

Moved Drew Shore up a notch and believe he will return to DU next year to skate with his brothers. D-Rah!
                              Sam Brittain moved into the Top 20
                              John Lee in the Other Notable list.
                              Lots of WCHA players.

GO DU !!!

Comment

Dan Olszewski suspended indefinitely from DU Hockey program for a minimum of the rest of this season. He violated team rules and his suspension will be reviewed at the end of the season.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=205384895

Comment

Working...
                                X