Clear All

• Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

Carry on.
    And Go BU!

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

Getting this started right...

Go Terriers!
    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Re: the stick salute - I've seen this done many times by visiting teams in various rinks. It just stood out on Sunday because the last few years BC has been forced to stand at center ice doing nothing and wait for the band to finish playing their dirge-like alma mater so a stick salute by BU esp. since they had to skate to the cattycorner spot on the ice from their exit seems more awkward. Hmm, maybe they started using a maglite flashlight for a spotlight at Conte so I'd be distracted from *****ing about their alma mater routine every game.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
      HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
        Re: the stick salute - I've seen this done many times by visiting teams in various rinks. It just stood out on Sunday because the last few years BC has been forced to stand at center ice doing nothing and wait for the band to finish playing their dirge-like alma mater so a stick salute by BU esp. since they had to skate to the cattycorner spot on the ice from their exit seems more awkward. Hmm, maybe they started using a maglite flashlight for a spotlight at Conte so I'd be distracted from *****ing about their alma mater routine every game.
        i like our fight song thingy.. but 'boston, for boston' is a pretty good song too.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          i like our fight song thingy.. but 'boston, for boston' is a pretty good song too.
          She's not talking about that. For Boston is their fight song. The band was playing the alma mater. It's slow. The team stands at center ice waiting till it's done to salute the crowd. While that was going on, BU went over to salute the BU students in JJ, which is the upper section to the right of the band (if you're looking at them). They had to cross past the BC team to do that. I didn't think it was anything that BC should have an issue with. Other teams have done it at Agganis.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            She's not talking about that. For Boston is their fight song. The band was playing the alma mater. It's slow. The team stands at center ice waiting till it's done to salute the crowd. While that was going on, BU went over to salute the BU students in JJ, which is the upper section to the right of the band (if you're looking at them). They had to cross past the BC team to do that. I didn't think it was anything that BC should have an issue with. Other teams have done it at Agganis.
            what kinda fools mess around with another song when you have a winner like '4boston'?!?!? serves 'em right
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Re: Stick Salute, but almost entirely off topic

Can BU abolish the "tradition" of stick salutes after every home win and save it only for times they are actually compelled to do such a thing? It means virtually nothing when it is a habit they have gotten into as opposed to actually recognizing times they want to thank the crowd. And it means even less when they don't do it after losses or ties, I still can't get the justification behind that.

Seeing Gaudet finish the handshake line first and try to direct the first few players to join him in heading over to the BU corner, and having Parker have the few that missed his signal turn around and return to where they came was 100 times more memorable than every routine home stick salute I've ever seen.

I wish they could keep it special for home games like it is for away/neutral site games.

Comment

Guess my constant knee jerk reactions have caused me to develop a trick knee and been offline since Lowell debacle. I actually read the closed thread. I know ... Get a life

In any case, I thought I had entered the space time continuum when I read the recap and that it was 1995 when we used to wax BC regularly. All this game proves is what all the JackPa apologists (so sue me for using that handle) were saying last year. That last year's team was young and that this year we'll be very good.

Me thinks BC was not ready for BU to step up. If BU competes this way in 3 weeks then we can talk more about who and what's the story with this year's edition. BC should not sleep walk that weekend. Also, if this past weekend is any real indication then BU should sweep at home this weekend. Can they play 55 to 60 minutes more than one game in a row?

Now back to my trick knee and reading more about JoePa or JackPa or players drinking beers in the club house. OOPS that was the Sox pitchers. I get confused with all these rapid fire stories and rumors
                Last edited by bantam75; 11-15-2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

By the way, I caught one Dave Starman reference to "jam" Sunday afternoon. As best as I can tell, he uses it in place of grit or spunk.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

what kinda fools mess around with another song when you have a winner like '4boston'?!?!? serves 'em right
                    lol, but you're still not getting it. right after the horn sounds comes "For Boston" then after the hand shake the players stand at center ice and they do the Alma Mater song and as soon as it ends there is another "For Boston".........i know, i know, no one cares

Comment

Shouldn't that be "For Chestnut Hill ..." or "For Newton ..." OK, old story, I know.

Personally, I really like the Peter Gunn Theme Song. Don't think that any other school uses it. It's old, but so is tradition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHjY...eature=related

Here is another Gunn version - there are many - by Emerson, Lake & Palmer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v8Vv...eature=related

Don't mind the Drop Kick Murphy's Boston-thingy, either. It may be more contemporary, but it is no Peter Gunn!
                      Last edited by Harry Cleverly; 11-15-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                        Shouldn't that be "For Chestnut Hill ..." or "For Newton ..." OK, old story, I know.

Personally, I really like the Peter Gunn Theme Song. Don't think that any other school uses it. It's old, but so is tradition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHjY...eature=related

Here is another Gunn version - there are many - by Emerson, Lake & Palmer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v8Vv...eature=related

Don't mind the Drop Kick Murphy's Boston-thingy, either. It may be more contemporary, but it is no Peter Gunn!
                        They for sure need a video intro with the Peter Gunn song!

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                          Re: Stick Salute, but almost entirely off topic

Can BU abolish the "tradition" of stick salutes after every home win and save it only for times they are actually compelled to do such a thing? It means virtually nothing when it is a habit they have gotten into as opposed to actually recognizing times they want to thank the crowd. And it means even less when they don't do it after losses or ties, I still can't get the justification behind that.

Seeing Gaudet finish the handshake line first and try to direct the first few players to join him in heading over to the BU corner, and having Parker have the few that missed his signal turn around and return to where they came was 100 times more memorable than every routine home stick salute I've ever seen.

I wish they could keep it special for home games like it is for away/neutral site games.
                          You're right, but it's not gonna happen. These whippersnappers these days, that's how they think. Everything's gotta be maxxed out. Why, just a couple of weeks ago here in the Twin Cities they stormed the football field after Minnesota (2-6) defeated Iowa (5-3). Whoop-de-fricken-do! Don't get me started! Get off my lawn!
                          Bugs Bunny - 96
                          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

re: mookie's score thread from Sunday...Stillers won so he was happy, BU winning so he was really happy, BU beating BC so he was euphoric...imagine if he had shot his low score on the course in the morning.

bottom line: a happy mookie is a funny mookie

It reminded me of the EPL games where they have two regular blokes do the commentary.
                            I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

You guys seen the PairWise? We're not on the map. Hopefully we get 2 wins this weekend. Just sayin'.
                              Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X