X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

Originally posted by collegefan06 View Post
    I appreciate what everyone is saying about costs, the economy, etc. but to be fair, think about the cost of a movie today or the cost of a single B's ticket in a comparable spot in the arena to Agganis. Iin today's world an evening of entertainment, food and drink for 4 under $200 isn't what it used to be when looking at alternatives.

I still think that students fighting to get a ticket instead of waltzing in and sneaking into 118 or 108 because plenty are available is disappointing for a program with the heritage and tradition of BU. Perhaps more marketing of the product to the students early on would pay dividends?
    Has nothing to do with marketing. BU's student body is very cosmopolitan and so diverse that there's only a select number that are into sports at all to begin with, and who like hockey. At least when I was in school, there was no lack of marketing for home hockey games. I also wouldn't be surprised if some kids don't show up anymore because they don't want to deal with RSIG.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

As a local fan who goes to all the arenas, a few things strike me about Agganis. Price first. It's a big hit for a college game. Atmosphere second. It's just never gonna have the ambiance of the old WBA. The flat roof holding all that noise in. The smaller, closer crowds. The unique design (loved that standing room perch over the Zamboni entrance!). In the new Palace, you pay more for less "college" atmosphere. You have more fans, but that also means more less-knowledgable fans in the crowd. The student section isn't as much as a spectacle as it was in the WBA. In short, it's not as much fun as WBA was. Much like the New Garden vs. The Old Garden. I like The Old Garden and WBA better. Who says newer is better?

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
        Much like the New Garden vs. The Old Garden. I like The Old Garden and WBA better.
        Yeah, but I like the '09 National Championship and '11 Stanley Cup better than Ray and the 18 dwarves, and Whitney and the 18 dwarves.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post

Embarassing that the video board still hasn't been repaired. The only good reason I would think is that they need to lower it to ice level and they are going to do that over break.
          What is the problem with the board? Is it the dots that cover the bottom portion of the screen?
          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            On attendnce: Its not like attendance has been all that bad, but probably down from previous years. Its a combo of the price point vs. state of the economy as well as the overall recent team performance. The group I have my seats with have had the discussion a few times about at what point do you opt out of the tickets. No doubt that $24 / game starts to feel steep when you know going into it that you are only going to be able to make 75% of the games. Then add on that a few of the games you get do, you dont use all of your tickets. So they are for sure flirting with that edge, and I'm sure that my group are not the only ones having these thoughts.

Just for fun, what is the family cost index to go to a BU game?

4 Tickets ($24 / each) = $96
            Parking = $12
            2 Beers ($7.50 / each) = $15
            2 Cokes ($3.50?? / each ) = $7
            4 Hot Dogs ($3.50??) / each = $14

= $144.00
            Not to derail the thread but just wanted to add to the price of attending thing (cause it's a completely valid discussion, especially in this economy).

I completely rip the BC AD all the time but this is actually something that BC has done very well.

4 tickets ($10 each in the family section) = $40
            Parking = Free
            Family Food Plan (or some other gimmicky name 4 sodas & 4 hot dogs) = $22 (I believe but it's around there.

= $62

Comment

Originally posted by collegefan06 View Post
              I appreciate what everyone is saying about costs, the economy, etc. but to be fair, think about the cost of a movie today or the cost of a single B's ticket in a comparable spot in the arena to Agganis. Iin today's world an evening of entertainment, food and drink for 4 under $200 isn't what it used to be when looking at alternatives.
              I agree with what you are saying, and yet it actually affirms the concern that I have. Going to a BU Hockey game has moved from an "activity" that could be a whim decision given the small expense. Now it falls into the "world of entertainment", competing with a Pro sporting event, a night at the theater, or a whale watch. If I'm going to drop over $150 to entertain my fmaily of 4, I'm going to be darn sure that it is the right game (read: not against Holy Cross) and I'm not going to be pleased if the team puts up a stinker.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                What is the problem with the board? Is it the dots that cover the bottom portion of the screen?
                Yes, the green dots.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                  Yes, the green dots.
                  Perhaps, this is why I had such a problem identifying the problem. The dots look red and blue to me.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                    Yeah, but I like the '09 National Championship and '11 Stanley Cup better than Ray and the 18 dwarves, and Whitney and the 18 dwarves.
                    That's OK, nothing wrong with that. I had plenty of memorable nights in the old joints, too.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

Show of hands - who's headed to NYC this weekend for Red Hot Hockey?

::raises hand::

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                        That's OK, nothing wrong with that. I had plenty of memorable nights in the old joints, too.
                        Speaking of memorable nights in the old joint, none matches the 1977 ECAC QF game vs. BC. BU beat BC 8 -7. Rick Meagher had a hat trick in the last 8 - 9 minutes, including the game winner with maybe 39 seconds remaining. In those days, if you lost that game, the season was over. In the swamps of my memory, it seemed that Joe Mullen had a quality scoring chance every time he touched the puck that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          Show of hands - who's headed to NYC this weekend for Red Hot Hockey?

::raises hand::
                          Strongly considering going since I'll be in the city this week for Thanksgiving anyway, but I haven't decided for sure yet. The BU Alumni site says to buy tickets in the BU Fan Section, but the Ticketmaster site doesn't make any mention of fan sections. Any idea if tickets in the BU section are still available?

I might just wind up catching it on MSG TV, we'll see.
                          #OneKnight

Comment

On the topic of atmosphere at Agganis, I have a quick question for those who regularly attend games - have 108 and 118 been consistently loud this year? I sit in 108 and besides the final few minutes of the Denver game, I haven't felt like we've been all that loud - but it is difficult to tell while sitting in the middle of the section.

Anyways, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd10 View Post
                              On the topic of atmosphere at Agganis, I have a quick question for those who regularly attend games - have 108 and 118 been consistently loud this year? I sit in 108 and besides the final few minutes of the Denver game, I haven't felt like we've been all that loud - but it is difficult to tell while sitting in the middle of the section.

Anyways, just curious.
                              I would say it has been less loud...but also less students... so less students = less loud.

Comment

I may have a single spare for Saturday, bought one too many if anyone would be interested.

So yeah, my hand is up, I'll be there.
                                Last edited by candycanes99; 11-21-2011, 10:59 AM.
                                Boston University 2009 Champs
                                Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Working...
                                X