X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
    I promise next time I'll write in small sentences using small words for you. Like cat. C-A-T. Cat.
    Now you just look like an idiot. Good show.
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

Comment

Who has been most commonly not dressing for games, that now stands to dress more regularly with the newly opened slot?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        Who has been most commonly not dressing for games, that now stands to dress more regularly with the newly opened slot?
        Well, Gilroy for one and Santana, if he's scheduled to return from his injury. Not sure what the status is on either.

Comment

There is no question the HC at BU cares about his kids and is old school. Probably a little more of a generational thing than him not caring. hard to relate to kids doing you tube videos and so forth.
          I also found the comment about, "the school doesnt have to do anything blah blah blah, kind of telling. Very similar to when Joe Paterno tried to retire at years end and almost bullying the school into that move. Telling the school not to sopend one minute worrying about it. Not saying that is the case here but you would think some of the stuff he said should be done in conjunction with the school. Agreed, kick off and move on but the verbage was very similar to a coach who has been there a long time and kind of marching to own set of rules. Almost saying the player had zero due process

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Well, Gilroy for one and Santana, if he's scheduled to return from his injury. Not sure what the status is on either.
            Agreed but I think there's too much young talent to go either of those routes for much more than the Notre Dame game.

Chiasson-Connolly-Coyle

Megan-Nieto-Gill

Courtnall-Hohmann-Rodrigues

Gaudet-Rosen-Cisse

That's the winning formula!
            Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              There is no question the HC at BU cares about his kids and is old school. Probably a little more of a generational thing than him not caring. hard to relate to kids doing you tube videos and so forth.
              I also found the comment about, "the school doesnt have to do anything blah blah blah, kind of telling. Very similar to when Joe Paterno tried to retire at years end and almost bullying the school into that move. Telling the school not to sopend one minute worrying about it. Not saying that is the case here but you would think some of the stuff he said should be done in conjunction with the school. Agreed, kick off and move on but the verbage was very similar to a coach who has been there a long time and kind of marching to own set of rules. Almost saying the player had zero due process
              Zero due process? The kid is not out of school because he was expelled. He is electing not to return for financial reasons. He was kicked off the hockey team because he violated the team rules (which were made abundantly clear) by having another alcohol-related incident. Parker went out of his way to say that Trivino was not being removed for "attempted rape" or "assault." Instead, he was being removed for the (indisputable) fact that he was drunk and an incident occurred. Indeed, I am willing to bet the house that Trivino even admitted to JP that he was drunk when this took place.

And the team, in fact, does march to own set of rules which, as a condition of receiving his scholarship and playing on the team, Trivino was required to abide by.

Weren't you the guy arguing a few pages back about how Parker should have acted sooner? Now you're complaining about "due process"? Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                That is an incredibly ignorant statement.

Perhaps you should read the Travis Roy book "Eleven Seconds." That might give you an idea if "Parker cares about any of his players beyond what they can do for him on the ice."

Beyond that, just consider how many former players attend games, flock to hockey alumni events and maintain a solid relationship with Parker, often decades after they have graduated.
                If he didn't care, and didn't still care after they've gone, they wouldn't care so much.
                Great answer.

If you want to see someone who has a profound long-term impact on younger people, don't always look for the ones the kids like when they are a teenager.

Best coaches and teachers for me were the ones that taught me the hard lessons as well or better than the easy ones. A good manager? The one that tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. A good parent? Likewise.

Any coach's ability to recurringly recruit would partly depend on what they do for players beyond the ice, court or field. Any person can find fault with Parker, or anybody, that has been doing a public job for 39 years. For him to persist, even with our criticisms of certain years, habits or results...is a testament that he cares about his players.

It isn't Jack Parker or Jerry York that should get that question...it is Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer or Mike Leach...guys who may win more but can't seem to stay in one place long before trouble comes to roost.

How many sports coaches are at a prominent D1 program, in any sport, for 39 years? Certainly fewer than would like to be able to say that.

As for behavior...BB or Rex Ryan...if I'm the ad director for a tv or radio station...Ryan. If I'm the AD, president, agent, GM or team owner...BB. As a fan, I'll take BB over Ryan any day...I respect someone who can handle difficult situations appropriately.

Years ago the MSU AD, who either was still or had been the hockey coach, fired an african american football coach. That press conference was excellent...he was honest, didn't avoid any questions but stuck to a consistent message throughout on a very touchy subject. Some can do it, most can't. So, if I was the agent for a D1 coach, I'd tell them to rehearse the same line when it comes to any type of sudden revelation issue: "I don't know all the facts, I'll answer questions when I know more on the subject, thank you." {exit, stage right}

Boring but proven. That is no arena for innovation, improvisation or emotions.
                I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Simply debating... It goes to show you that there is always two sides to every argument

"He is electing not to return for financial reasons"

Comment

Anyone questioning if Parker cares about his players, Trivino included, should look no further than the fact that one of Parker's first actions upon hearing of this incident and Trivino's request was to call an attorney and ensure Corey would have legal representation at his arraignment on Monday. I take his openness to the media here as a sign of him displaying how much he genuinely cared for Corey and how much it hurt him to have to kick him off the team, knowing that he hadn't been able to help him work to improve his alcohol problem. I read his quotes as more of a somber coach than an old school iron fist coach.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                      Simply debating... It goes to show you that there is always two sides to every argument

"He is electing not to return for financial reasons"
                      And what's your side of the argument then? That the opportunity to return to BU next semester has been revoked? Because that would be blatantly untrue. Parker actually stated that he would not be returning in the spring because he couldn't afford tuition, but that the school was conducting its own investigation (read: due process) before it made any decision regarding his status as a student.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                        Great answer.

If you want to see someone who has a profound long-term impact on younger people, don't always look for the ones the kids like when they are a teenager.

Best coaches and teachers for me were the ones that taught me the hard lessons as well or better than the easy ones. A good manager? The one that tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. A good parent? Likewise.

Any coach's ability to recurringly recruit would partly depend on what they do for players beyond the ice, court or field. Any person can find fault with Parker, or anybody, that has been doing a public job for 39 years. For him to persist, even with our criticisms of certain years, habits or results...is a testament that he cares about his players.

It isn't Jack Parker or Jerry York that should get that question...it is Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer or Mike Leach...guys who may win more but can't seem to stay in one place long before trouble comes to roost.

How many sports coaches are at a prominent D1 program, in any sport, for 39 years? Certainly fewer than would like to be able to say that.

As for behavior...BB or Rex Ryan...if I'm the ad director for a tv or radio station...Ryan. If I'm the AD, president, agent, GM or team owner...BB. As a fan, I'll take BB over Ryan any day...I respect someone who can handle difficult situations appropriately.

Years ago the MSU AD, who either was still or had been the hockey coach, fired an african american football coach. That press conference was excellent...he was honest, didn't avoid any questions but stuck to a consistent message throughout on a very touchy subject. Some can do it, most can't. So, if I was the agent for a D1 coach, I'd tell them to rehearse the same line when it comes to any type of sudden revelation issue: "I don't know all the facts, I'll answer questions when I know more on the subject, thank you." {exit, stage right}

Boring but proven. That is no arena for innovation, improvisation or emotions.
                        Agree with everything here, but it should be noted that Urban Meyer has never left a job because of any NCAA investigation, player arrest, etc. I don't remember any significant NCAA violations at any of his former programs. There are plenty of other coaches you can put in there, John Calipari, Phil Fulmer, etc.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Ah yes, it appears I and others here are totally wrong on all of this according to the neg rep I got proclaiming that "I can tell you with certainty that Parker never is concerned for the well being of a player...only his own well being." How foolish of me to think that Parker making a 1 am phone call to an attorney minutes after hearing his player was arrested, whom he knew was going to be thrown off the team in the morning, was concerned for the general well-being and legal due process of that player as a person. He must've called that attorney to represent himself but the dumbass attorney mistakenly represented Corey instead.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            Ah yes, it appears I and others here are totally wrong on all of this according to the neg rep I got proclaiming that "I can tell you with certainty that Parker never is concerned for the well being of a player...only his own well being." How foolish of me to think that Parker making a 1 am phone call to an attorney minutes after hearing his player was arrested, whom he knew was going to be thrown off the team in the morning, was concerned for the general well-being and legal due process of that player as a person. He must've called that attorney to represent himself but the dumbass attorney mistakenly represented Corey instead.
                            Why do you care about a "neg rep"?

Comment

Originally posted by limey View Post
                              And what's your side of the argument then? That the opportunity to return to BU next semester has been revoked? Because that would be blatantly untrue. Parker actually stated that he would not be returning in the spring because he couldn't afford tuition, but that the school was conducting its own investigation (read: due process) before it made any decision regarding his status as a student.
                              Yup, great due process.

Dean of students Kenneth Elmore said the administration is investigating the incident. Parker said Trivino won’t return to the school because his scholarship has been revoked.

“This has nothing to do with BU, this has to do with me,’’ said Parker. “He’s kicked out of school because I took his scholarship away. He can’t come back because he doesn’t have any money. BU hasn’t done a thing to him yet. They’ll talk to the girl and they’ll talk to Corey and they’ll make a decision on what his punishment will be, if any.

“My actions have taken BU’s actions out of the picture. They can’t do anything more to him than I’ve already done to him. They can’t kick him out of school, he’s not going to be here. I don’t mean that as good or bad, it’s just a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                Hmmmmm.

Originally posted by collegefan06 View Post
                                You are assuming that Parker cares about any of his players beyond what they can do for him on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                                X