This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

So going forward any thoughts on what is going to happen with the lines?

We have the long term situation of Trivino gone.... but also the short term situation for the ND game and also Merrimack (???), of being down 3 players. Coyle, Clandening and Trivino.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
      Genius, that came out AFTER my post, which is why i said in both of my posts, full story yet to come.

I also do not follow twitter full time.
      You should have waited for the information before providing an uniformed opinion. Assuming that might have made a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        So it was 4 strikes and you're out for Trivino.

And the penalty got lesser from one case to the next in one instance.

Interesting.
        So having to ride a stationary bike for a few hours or being suspended for a game would have been a harsher penalty than being placed on Double NOT-Secret, one-more-and-done Probation? With all your teammates knowing about it. Not in my book.
        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
          So having to ride a stationary bike for a few hours or being suspended for a game would have been a harsher penalty than being placed on Double NOT-Secret, one-more-and-done Probation? With all your teammates knowing about it. Not in my book.
          And your coach telling your players to watch out for him because he has a problem.

Lots more info here from last year's Freep guy: http://***********/#!/smclaughlin9
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
            All I know is that over the dozen years or so there has been far too many embarassments/incidents/involuntary departures under Parkers "leadership". It would interesting to see the list hopefully someone will oblige. Its got to be up there as the most in a D1 hockey program, its like the BC football/basketball of college hockey. Nice job Jack.
            Well, is it really Coach Parker's leadership or is it the culture? Unlike many colleges and universities, BU Hockey is the dominant sport. That creates a certain culture where the hockey team is worshipped, fairly or unfairly. Like anything it has its positives and negatives. The downside being you can have some athletes develop a sense of entitlement because they get the most press and attention at the university. It definitely doesn't excuse their actions, but it puts it in some context.

I'd argue you'd have similar problems whether it's Jack Parker or [insert coaches name here].
            F-F-Faustus you've got nothing to fear. It may be hell down there, but it's heaven up here.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
              You should have waited for the information before providing an uniformed opinion. Assuming that might have made a difference.
              I know, right. Cause what I said was so out there and accusatory. Just making things up as I go.

I am sorry your program had a rough day.

I had two points. One, lets not congratulate grown-ups for doing the right thing. Parker is a 60 or 70-something year old man, not really sure. I think by now he should have right and wrong down. Just because other schools cannot get it right, does not mean we should give kudos to the ones that do. Sorry for having standards. Second, and again, this was before more information came out, what was done to maybe help this kid who had prior alcohol related incidents that may have helped this situation from every happening in the first place?
              DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                I know, right. Cause what I said was so out there and accusatory. Just making things up as I go.

I am sorry your program had a rough day.

I had two points. One, lets not congratulate grown-ups for doing the right thing. Parker is a 60 or 70-something year old man, not really sure. I think by now he should have right and wrong down. Just because other schools cannot get it right, does not mean we should give kudos to the ones that do. Sorry for having standards. Second, and again, this was before more information came out, what was done to maybe help this kid who had prior alcohol related incidents that may have helped this situation from every happening in the first place?
                If you go on any team's thread other than your own, you better have facts before giving an opinion.

I don't think Jack Parker or anyone else at BU is looking for any kudos for doing the right thing. It appears that they did do the right thing. Good. That is what is expected.
                What difference does Parker's age mean in any of this? I'd expect a 20 or 30-something coach to do the right thing. Just as I would expect it of him. We all know an 84-year old coach with more experience than just about everyone that didn't do the right thing. So age and experience has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps it is because you are coming from the outside, it seems as if you want to knock Parker & BU for doing the right thing. As if that is necessary because someone might be giving them credit for doing the right thing.

A lot of teams have problems that they need to deal with. When they deal with it professionally, you acknowledge it, learn from it and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltyLoafers View Post
                  Well, is it really Coach Parker's leadership or is it the culture? Unlike many colleges and universities, BU Hockey is the dominant sport. That creates a certain culture where the hockey team is worshipped, fairly or unfairly. Like anything it has its positives and negatives. The downside being you can have some athletes develop a sense of entitlement because they get the most press and attention at the university. It definitely doesn't excuse their actions, but it puts it in some context.

I'd argue you'd have similar problems whether it's Jack Parker or [insert coaches name here].
                  I've been critical of Parker's leadership in terms of motivating and developing his players, but in terms of discipline there's not a lot of criminal activity on BU's hockey team over his tenure so in that regard I'd say he's been on top of things. Really this and the Sabo incident are all I can recall going back to like 1990 (again, regarding violations of the law, not missing a meeting or dogging it in practice). While individual incidents can always happen, I don't see a pattern of abuse and tolerance of illegal activity as you see in say the Cincy hoops program for example.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

He will likely end up pleading guilty to a lesser charge and getting probation-there's not enough in this for a felony conviction to stick. The charges are just about everything the prosecutor could throw at him. Either way, his time at BU is over, he got a score of chances that he blew, and now I hope he legitimately gets help for his alcohol dependence.

And to make sure you know I am not ignoring her, I also hope the victim recovers from this situation. I don't know why she didn't call the cops the first time he pushed his way into his room but maybe she was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and then on the second occasion called a friend...and on the third called the cops. She really tried to let his behavior go until the third incident.
                    Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

He's hardly the only person who gave an opinion on this prior to the latest story.

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      And your coach telling your players to watch out for him because he has a problem.

Lots more info here from last year's Freep guy: http://***********/#!/smclaughlin9
                      Is deportation a possibility here?

If you go on any team's thread other than your own, you better have facts before giving an opinion.
                      Did he present anything as fact that turned out to be false?

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        So it's clear they tried to get him to get help, he didn't take it. Seems like the signs of a kid with an alcohol problem. We don't know what these other newly come to light alcohol-related offenses are, so to speculate would be stupid. We don't know if incident #3 occurred after he was 21, and if it was the result of true alcoholism or just him drinking when he wasn't supposed to be.
                        Not from how I read it. If you knbow there is a serious issue, and based upon this direct quote, he clearly did.

"Parker said. “I told him before in September. I told him then, ‘The good news is, I’m not going to do anything about that incident,’ which is minor compared to this one. ‘But here’s the bad news,’ I said. ‘Next time, I’m going to kick you off the team for good. And here’s the worst news, there will be another incident, Corey.’”

Shocking that he did not make it mandatory or he couldnt play. Clearly not enough effort and if that was my daughter, I would be suing school and the team. He basically said he knew it would happen again and that is enabling, not correcting/disciplining/protecting. Could be a huge reach but you wouldnt allow a kid with a drug problem to say no to a treatment program and you sure as heck wouldnt allow him to drink /do drugs certain nights of the weak.

weird
                        Last edited by Hokydad; 12-13-2011, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          I still don't understand this, but whatever...
                          I doubt anyone feels like going into all this again, but the way I understand the rule for optional team activities is that you basically have to RSVP one way or the other. If you can't come, that's fine, but you need to let Parker, Boyle, etc. know that. You can't just not show up. Glass didn't tell anyone he wasn't gonna make it.
                          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Bobby Knight, Mike K and many others. You want to talk about being worshipped and having the school built around them and their program..

Do you really think either or would have ever said, "I know he has an alchol problem but he said it wasnt for him" Just go play and score and when you trip up again, which we know you will, I will kick you off. Until that time, score a few more though"

Not picking on anyone but I doubt the 2 you asked to have inserted would have those issues and not slam the kid into place hard or he wouldnt play

People crap on BobbY knight but let me ask you a simple question. Who would you rather have pick your daughter up for a date, one of Bobby Knights players or one of Caliperis??
                            He molded great human beings on and off the court and would never have let a kid with a know drinking/serious one at that tell him, "nope, programs not for me."
                            Last edited by Hokydad; 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Unlike many colleges and universities? Lowell, MC [both D2 schools with D1 hockey..doesn't get any bigger of a spotlight than that] then add in UNH, Maine, and Vermont. I'd argue that those three all would consider Hockey over their other sports but I cannot say for sure.

My 2 cents coming from one of the two schools in Hockey East to be primarily D2. Gets no bigger than D1 hockey at MC compared to the other sports on campus and I think our guys have handled the spotlight quite well as of late. In the Mid 2000s the team was a bunch of drinkers and partiers. I saw a distinct turn around on campus as guys like Barton, Bowen and Kimball who all came to the school in 2006 started taking leadership roles on the team.

I think with BU as of late, and MC from the mid 2000s it could be argued that traditions of losing, and traditions of winning can both be very toxic and very motivating at the same time. The tradition of losing at Merrimack acted like a ball and chain for the old players under the old system but that same tradition acted like a springboard and motivator for the new work-driven recruits. The same can be argued for winning. Resting on your laurels and a sense of entitlement can be dangerous, but a tradition of excelling can fuel the drive of new recruits to meet the bar that has been set by those who wore the sweater prior.

It depends on your coach, and the attitude of the student-athletes he brings in.
                              Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                                Shocking that he did not make it mandatory or he couldnt play. Clearly not enough effort and if that was my daughter, I would be suing school and the team. He basically said he knew it would happen again and that is enabling, not correcting/disciplining/protecting. Could be a huge each but you wouldnt alow a kid with a drug problem to say no to a treatment program and you sure as heck wouldnt allow him to drink /do drugs certain nights of the weak.

weird
                                Hokydad, I don't say this very often, but I more or less agree with you. Specifically, your very first sentence.

Comment

Working...
                                X