Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Penn State scandal and its effect on the rising hockey program

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Only a couple years? That's certainly where we disagree, which is fine. I just think more information is gonna come out and this is gonna drag on. I think it's gonna be in the minds of parents/people all over for more than a couple years.

Doesn't it sound like the NCAA is staying out of this all together and letting the authorities handle it? I'm not gonna begin to pretend to know what the NCAAs jurisdiction is on matters like this, but it seems to fit the "lack of institutional control" label even though it doesn't involve recruiting.
    I would guess that the NCAA would wait until the dust settles, see what happens legally, then decide what kind of actions, if any, they want to make. With criminal investigations going on and everything else that is going on in this case, and what is rumored, I'm guessing the NCAA doesn't want to jump in at this point.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

How exactly does this scandal effect a Division 1 varsity hockey program that doesn't even exist yet? They have no where to go but up on the other hand the football program......
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        How exactly does this scandal effect a Division 1 varsity hockey program that doesn't even exist yet? They have no where to go but up on the other hand the football program......
        I'm guessing you're throwing this question out there having not read any of the posts?

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
          Mike McQueary was a coward. He was a 28 year old man that had a chance to stop a child rapist in his tracks. You do something to stop it and then you call the cops. It wasn't like he had to guess what was going on... he testified to what he saw. Disgusting. What a gutless PoS.
          Absolutely!! He deserved a beatdown on the spot to begin with...

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            Other University's faced with dramatic institutional failures like this (and none have been "like" this) have made equally dramatic changes to their athletic programs. The national discussion happening today often includes the argument that our higher education system is there to serve learning and schools making tens of millions of dollars per year from sports have their priorities skewed.

For the entertainment value I'd like to see Penn State eliminate all intercollegiate sports (except club teams). I don't think it's likely but the consternation that would induce would be a lovely thing to behold.

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
              Absolutely!! He deserved a beatdown on the spot to begin with...
              Agreed.

You'd think a high school wrestling coach could administer a "beatdown," yet he too, did nothing. Is he a coward also? Seems like we're going to hear about lots and lots of people who saw something, did nothing and are all "cowards" according to the experts on USCHO.

Now if there is a silver lining to come out of all of this, maybe people who have witnessed other "odd" behavior will come forward and report it to the police. Because it sure seems to me that a lot of people have witnessed stuff like this and buried their heads in the sand.

"The grand jury statement says Sandusky often had unmonitored meetings with the boy, and that a school wrestling coach witnessed inappropriate touching between the two in a weight room."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...#ixzz1dPxVgo38
              Last edited by dggoddard; 11-11-2011, 11:53 AM.

Comment

McQuery wants to give his side of the story but can't talk due to the investigation.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...c1_lnk2|111677

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                  Mike McQueary was a coward. He was a 28 year old man that had a chance to stop a child rapist in his tracks. You do something to stop it and then you call the cops. It wasn't like he had to guess what was going on... he testified to what he saw. Disgusting. What a gutless PoS.
                  This. There is no excuse for walking away. None.
                  Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-11-2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Agreed.

You'd think a high school wrestling coach could administer a "beatdown," yet he too, did nothing. Is he a coward also? Seems like we're going to hear about lots and lots of people who saw something, did nothing and are all "cowards" according to the experts on USCHO.

Now if there is a silver lining to come out of all of this, maybe people who have witnessed other "odd" behavior will come forward and report it to the police. Because it sure seems to me that a lot of people have witnessed stuff like this and buried their heads in the sand.
                    I am absolutely astonished that you continue to defend this guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      A lot of it sounds like wishful thinking to me
                      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

The assurance within athletic programs that rules and ethics are for ordinary beings is the product of widespread celebrity, success which tramples probability of equality, and a huge revenue stream. So far the Penn State DI hockey program displays none of these qualities. No worries - yet.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                          I am absolutely astonished that you continue to defend this guy.
                          I'm saying wait to hear his side of the story. I also stated that Penn State may have "whistleblower issues" to contend with and that may explain why he hasn't and may not be fired.

I'm pretty certain he will never coach again at Penn State or anywhere again.

No doubt his life is going to be drastically affected by this scandal.
                          Last edited by dggoddard; 11-11-2011, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            It will by hysterical if all the Big 10 schools have to scramble to find a conference to play in.
                            Hysterical, yes. But it might be a nail in OSU's hockey coffin if they wind up in the new WCHA. The biggest draw would be Bowling Green, who can't even draw a crowd in their own arena. OSU already plays to sparse crowds and if they wind up in a conference with no Notre Dame, No Miami, and no B1G teams.......
                            BUCKEYES & CATAMOUNTS

Comment

Originally posted by Bossk View Post
                              Hysterical, yes. But it might be a nail in OSU's hockey coffin if they wind up in the new WCHA. The biggest draw would be Bowling Green, who can't even draw a crowd in their own arena. OSU already plays to sparse crowds and if they wind up in a conference with no Notre Dame, No Miami, and no B1G teams.......
                              Why would you assume that MSU and UM would not be in whatever conference OSU ends up in? (hypothetically speaking, as I would wager a bet that the BTN would scramble to pick up enough pieces to make a new B1G program.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                Why would you assume that MSU and UM would not be in whatever conference OSU ends up in? (hypothetically speaking, as I would wager a bet that the BTN would scramble to pick up enough pieces to make a new B1G program.
                                I gotta think that the scramble would be teams trying to get into whatever conference the remaining 5 would form.

That's neither here nor there though as PSU's hockey program is not in any jeopardy.

Comment

Working...
                                X