X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota @ Wisconsin: Secondary Rivalry, Just As Much Hatred

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    While I agree that The Gophers indeed have seven championships, '29 and '40 do not carry the same weight. 1929 isn't hung because it was rewarded AND shared. (Yale)
    While I agree with 29' I disagree with 40'. In my opinion a championship is a championship, the era changing doesn't change that.. If the NCAA went away and a new era began ie national prorgram was implemented theres no way all those schools would be ok with diiscounting their championships..

I think it only carries less weight because so many other programs were not around during that era and those fans would like it to mean less.

I just find it comical when Badger fans wave that flag, more times than not they're just not aware of 40' and it quickly becomes a double standard dare anyone challenge the Packer pre SB era Championships...

Comment

Counting an AAU Championship in 1940 or 1929 holds about as much weight as winning the DQ Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
        6>5??

You do know the Gophs have the same number of championships right (6)? Here's a photo of the Championship banners hung at the Mooch.. Some say it should be 7 (1929'). That 29' banner is hung with the Conference banners.

*****http://i1094.***********.com/albums/i442/broten14/PB040046.jpg******
        yes, 6>5. We count NCAA championships.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          While I agree that The Gophers indeed have seven championships, '29 and '40 do not carry the same weight. 1929 isn't hung because it was rewarded AND shared. (Yale)
          IMO 1940 carries the same weight, but you can make an argument that 1929 does not.

Comment

Gophers 1940 Championship Season Schedule

12/14/1939 ** London A.C. (ONT)* 10-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 3,000* nc*
            12/15/1939 ** London A.C. (ONT)* 5-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 3,500* nc*
            12/29/1939 ** Yale* 3-0* W* * St. Paul Auditorium, MN* 3,500* nc*
            12/30/1939 ** Yale* 7-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * nc*
            1/5/1940 ** Illinois* 8-2* W* at * Champaign, IL* * *
            1/6/1940 ** Illinois* 10-2* W* at * Champaign, IL* * *
            1/12/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 9-1* W* at * Houghton, MI* * nc*
            1/13/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 8-0* W* at * Houghton, MI* * nc*
            1/18/1940 ** Michigan* 9-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 2,000* *
            1/20/1940 ** Michigan* 5-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * *
            2/2/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 7-1* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 2,500* nc*
            2/3/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 9-1* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * nc*
            2/9/1940 ** Illinois* 9-1* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 3,000* *
            2/10/1940 ** Illinois* 9-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * *
            2/24/1940 ** Michigan* 7-0* W* at * Ann Arbor, MI* * *
            2/26/1940 ** Michigan* 5-0* W* at * Ann Arbor, MI* * *
            3/2/1940 ** Amesbury* 9-4* W* at * Lake Placid, NY* * nihc*
            3/3/1940 ** Brock Hall* 9-1* W* at * Lake Placid, NY* * nihc*

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              yes, 6>5. We count NCAA championships.
              That's because you don't have nearly as much history or tradition. We get it

Comment

1938–39 – – – 23 17 6 0 Won in AAU Quarterfinals, 10–1 (Philadelphia)
                Won in AAU Semifinals, 3–2 (St. Nicholas)
                Lost in AAU Championship, 3–4 (Cleveland)
                1939–40 – – – 18 18 0 0 Won in AAU Semifinals, 9–4 (Amesbury)
                Won AAU Championship, 9–1 (Brock Hall)

couple of quetions...who/what the hell is/was Brock Hall and Amesbury? St. Nicholas? Cleveland? what U or college in Cleveland had a team? these all sound like Concordia college types.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

1938–39 – – – 23 17 6 0 Won in AAU Quarterfinals, 10–1 (Philadelphia)
                  Won in AAU Semifinals, 3–2 (St. Nicholas)
                  Lost in AAU Championship, 3–4 (Cleveland)
                  1939–40 – – – 18 18 0 0 Won in AAU Semifinals, 9–4 (Amesbury)
                  Won AAU Championship, 9–1 (Brock Hall)

couple of quetions...who/what the hell is/was Brock Hall and Amesbury? St. Nicholas? Cleveland? what U or college in Cleveland had a team? these all sound like Concordia college types.
                  National Championship honors were accorded the 1939-1940 team as they won 18 games and finished the season undefeated. Among their college victims were Michigan, Michigan Tech, Illinois and Yale. In the National AAU Championships they defeated with ease the New England All-Stars 9-4 and Connecticut’s Brock Hall 9-1. During the season the team scored 138 goals to their opponents, 25. Led by such performers as Babe Paulsen, John Mariucci, Frank St. Vincent, Hayden Pickering, Jim Magnus, Ken Cramp, Fred Junger, Dave Lampton, All Eggleton, Norb Robertson and goalie Marty Falk, the 1939-1940 team was the strongest at Minnesota since the sport was inaugurated at the college in the early 1920’s. Ching Johnson- former Eveleth Red, Minneapolis Miller and New York Rangers star- who watched the Gophers practice and play, was amazed at their abilities. He compared them favorably with any of the great Canadian amateur teams. The 1938-1939 sextet, made up of underclassmen with the exception of Captain Kenny Anderson, also posted a fine record of 15 wins and 6 losses. The team finished second in the National AAU finals. They won their first two games, swamping the Philadelphia Arrows 10-1, edging the St. Nicholas Club 3-2 and losing in the finals to Cleveland Legion 4-3. Had there been a 1940 U.S. Olympic team several members of the Gopher team would undoubtedly have been members of the team.

Vintage Minnesota Hockey

Comment

If they were in the championship over the likes of Michigan, Michigan Tech, Yale, Illinois, etc... Then they were obviously good. Even FS23 agrees that this championship should be recognized.

Comment

Even if we count '40, that just puts you on our level. At that point, we could just say that UW is simply more efficient, what with the whole "doing the same thing in fewer seasons" bit.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I think we have lost focus. What is most important is that the Gophers sweep in Madison this weekend and make them cry.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

It must really bug thoses becky fans that their hockey program was started by some reject from Minnesota.
                          MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS!
                          National Champions:
                          1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 and 2003!!!!

Comment

Dr. Viner was from Minnesota?
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Even if we count '40, that just puts you on our level. At that point, we could just say that UW is simply more efficient, what with the whole "doing the same thing in fewer seasons" bit.
                              You could say that if you want, but that means about as much to us as the "we did it with more in-state players" (1976 and 1979 were with only in-state players) bit means to you.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                                National Championship honors were accorded the 1939-1940 team as they won 18 games and finished the season undefeated. Among their college victims were Michigan, Michigan Tech, Illinois and Yale. In the National AAU Championships they defeated with ease the New England All-Stars 9-4 and Connecticut’s Brock Hall 9-1. During the season the team scored 138 goals to their opponents, 25. Led by such performers as Babe Paulsen, John Mariucci, Frank St. Vincent, Hayden Pickering, Jim Magnus, Ken Cramp, Fred Junger, Dave Lampton, All Eggleton, Norb Robertson and goalie Marty Falk, the 1939-1940 team was the strongest at Minnesota since the sport was inaugurated at the college in the early 1920’s. Ching Johnson- former Eveleth Red, Minneapolis Miller and New York Rangers star- who watched the Gophers practice and play, was amazed at their abilities. He compared them favorably with any of the great Canadian amateur teams. The 1938-1939 sextet, made up of underclassmen with the exception of Captain Kenny Anderson, also posted a fine record of 15 wins and 6 losses. The team finished second in the National AAU finals. They won their first two games, swamping the Philadelphia Arrows 10-1, edging the St. Nicholas Club 3-2 and losing in the finals to Cleveland Legion 4-3. Had there been a 1940 U.S. Olympic team several members of the Gopher team would undoubtedly have been members of the team.

Vintage Minnesota Hockey
                                thanks.

I guess where I'm going w/this is some of these are club teams, or barely even college level. Quite unlike a tournament held by the NCAA. That's why I wouldn't count 1940.

Also it's unlike comparing to Green Bay because Green Bay championships were all played against teams that were the same level, and all were in the NFL when they were later playing for Super Bowl wins.

those teams Minnesota beat in 1940, Amesbury and Brock Hall, and prior to that St. Nicholas seem to be the equivalent of the modern day gophers taking out UW-PLatteville.

Comment

Working...
                                X