X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota @ Wisconsin: Secondary Rivalry, Just As Much Hatred

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I don't know where this secondary crap came from, I recall UW vs. Nodak always being huge (we just hated Geno and the crew) but the MN rodents was always #1 from my perspective and apparently many others in the season ticket fanbase. through the late 80's and especially in the early 90's w/Jim Carey, Andrew "point to the scoreboard" Schier, Zent, Plante, Hill et al

there's always a bigger buzz amongst the fans prior to these games.
    I always remember WI being on par with UND during the 80's and early 90's for hatred among Gopher fans, and UW and UND also ready to kill each other (remember the squirt bottle started fight or hearing about the trombone incident?). So while in the last decade plus, UND has been the bigger rival, I don't remember it always being that way.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      Wait. You think Brooks was opposed to foreign playing styles?

The root of the Brooks and Johnson hatred is rooted in Johnson's recruiting strategy. Mariucci wanted Brooks to continue his focus on in-state recruiting and he assumed Johnson would do the same in Wisconsin. Bob didn't and that caused a riff. Also didn't help that both were extremely competitive.
      well I was remembering a passage from the book "Shot And A Goal" where Johnson was ripped for employing European PP strategies after a trip overseas. I thought that was in "The Rivalry" section but will go back and check

one great snippet...during a UW/MN game a break in the action in madison and things quiet down a bit...random fan yells "Hey Herb, it's your turn to buy you cheap SOB!" which was a reaction to Herbie telling the State Journal that Wisconsin fans were a bunch of drunks

EDIT - I DO realize that the rivalry between Johnson and Brooks mainly revolved around 2 things: recruiting (as you covered), and personality. Johnson was more emotional and would celebrate w/the team whereas Brooks was more of an introvert and would walk to the locker room while his team celebrated.
      Last edited by solovsfett; 11-06-2011, 10:49 PM.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        I always remember WI being on par with UND during the 80's and early 90's for hatred among Gopher fans, and UW and UND also ready to kill each other (remember the squirt bottle started fight or hearing about the trombone incident?). So while in the last decade plus, UND has been the bigger rival, I don't remember it always being that way.
        yes! you are remembering this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jXsmGTQz-I

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          You misunderstood as I am a Packer fan. When I said I couldn't respect what you were saying about the Packers, it's because you were saying nice things and you are, I assume, a Viking fan. I was giving you crap.
          Haha got it!! Yeah I can definately and easily see the allure to that team.

Football really isn't my 1st love when it comes to sports, but I would hate to see the Vikes leave for LA, I'd follow them if they moved to the Dakotas, or even Canada.. But I dont think I could if they left for LA. I'd probably be done with the NFL all together in that case...

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post

But the old rivalry triumverate of UND/UM/UW will be replaced by UM/UW/UMich, which will be bigger than ever. Sadly, for UND.
            You'll still have SCSU and Duluth!

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              I think one aspect of the UMinn/NoDak rivalry that cannot be a part of the UND/UW rivalry is the old upstate/downstate history. Until the last 35 years or so, Minnesota's hockey consisted primarily of the Mpls area teams and those from the range and Warroad, Roseau, Baudette area. Kids did not go away during high school to play USHL and graduate in a different city with players who used to be adversaries. Shattuck did not even have hockey. The kids going from Warroad and Roseau and range towns were inclined to have a us/them attitude toward Edina and other twin cities powers. I think that transferred to college, and it was natural for many of them to identify with UND as a small hockey power, just as they had been growing up. It was an upstate/city kind of rivalry that carried over to recruitment and play in college. UMinn got a lot of great players from the small towns up north, of course, but UND had strong ties there. And old Canadians, too, of course.

But with more and more programs in the state, the numbers game started to take its toll. And with elite leagues and year-round play, top level players from former rivals were often playing with each for a team none of them had a history with.

The thing that UND and UW have in common is simple: gophers were made to be hated.

But the old rivalry triumverate of UND/UM/UW will be replaced by UM/UW/UMich, which will be bigger than ever. Sadly, for UND.
              I think you're right. new rivalries/slash triumvirates of hate will be UW/MN/Mich and in the "other" new league Nodak/CC/DU or possibly Nodak/DU/Miami

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
                Haha got it!! Yeah I can definately and easily see the allure to that team.

Football really isn't my 1st love when it comes to sports, but I would hate to see the Vikes leave for LA, I'd follow them if they moved to the Dakotas, or even Canada.. But I dont think I could if they left for LA. I'd probably be done with the NFL all together in that case...
                I hate the Vikings. I hate everything about them. I hate the dome. I hate the piped in "crowd" noise. I hate Ragnark or whatever the mascot's name is. I hate the horn that is supposed to fire up the crowd (did vikings actually use horns?). I hated Chris Carter's touchdown-point to heaven thingy. I hated what Randy Moss did to us. I hate purple. I hated John Randle's face paint. I hate Jared Allen.

I hate so much more that I won't even get in to.

Even though it would give me/us something to rip on you guys about and even with all that hate, I don't want them to move anywhere.

Comment

well I was remembering a passage from the book "Shot And A Goal" where Johnson was ripped for employing European PP strategies after a trip overseas. I thought that was in "The Rivalry" section but will go back and check

one great snippet...during a UW/MN game a break in the action in madison and things quiet down a bit...random fan yells "Hey Herb, it's your turn to buy you cheap SOB!" which was a reaction to Herbie telling the State Journal that Wisconsin fans were a bunch of drunks

EDIT - I DO realize that the rivalry between Johnson and Brooks mainly revolved around 2 things: recruiting (as you covered), and personality. Johnson was more emotional and would celebrate w/the team whereas Brooks was more of an introvert and would walk to the locker room while his team celebrated.
                  I don't think any other North American coach has ever worked as many European and Soviet philosophies into his systems as Brooks did. Even while he was coaching the Gophers. I doubt Brooks had any animosity towards Johnson for that.

Comment

I don't think any other North American coach has ever worked as many European and Soviet philosophies into his systems as Brooks did. Even while he was coaching the Gophers. I doubt Brooks had any animosity towards Johnson for that.
                    point taken. I'll check the book again but I'm probably wrong that Brooks would have ripped that.

either way, I can't wait to see where this rivalry goes in the next 5 years

Comment

My favorite Brooks shot at Bob Johnson was when Johnson was coaching the 1976 Olympic team and the Gophers made a trip to Madison to play the Badgers. One of Wisconsin's assistants was taking over the coaching responsibilities in Johnson's absence, and when asked about the upcoming series, Brooks said, "I expect to see one of the best coached Badger teams we've seen in a long time".

Brooks may have seemed introverted, but he really wasn't. He was the master of using mind games to get the most out of his players. A few stories I recall.

- They we're on a road trip (forget the year and opponent) and the night after the last game Brooks implemented a curfew. He knew players would show up late, so he waited in the hallway of the hotel. Curfew came and went and players slowly started showing up. As the rounded the corner to get to the block of rooms, there would be Herb waiting. He would sternly tell them to go to his room so that he could have a word with them and he'd meet them there. The players thought they were in trouble, but when they got to his room there was a pizza party going on. Everyone would be quite, and then when a player would walk in, they would all bust out laughing.

- After the Gophers won the McNaughton Trophy in 1975, but lost to Tech in the NCAA title game (big upset), when the Gophers were presented with the McNaughton, Brooks walked into the locker room with the trophy, past the team, and proceeded to place it in the toilet and flush it.

- He would constantly tell the team and media that he wasn't very impressed with a quality team, or that he was with a poor quality team, to either give his team confidence or prevent a letdown. And I recall him telling the 1980 Olympic team before the Gold Medal game against Finland that if they lost they would "take it to their ####ing graves". He started to walk away, then turned back around and said again "####ing graves".

Classic Brooks.

Comment

point taken. I'll check the book again but I'm probably wrong that Brooks would have ripped that.

either way, I can't wait to see where this rivalry goes in the next 5 years
                        Me too

Comment

My favorite Brooks shot at Bob Johnson was when Johnson was coaching the 1976 Olympic team and the Gophers made a trip to Madison to play the Badgers. One of Wisconsin's assistants was taking over the coaching responsibilities in Johnson's absence, and when asked about the upcoming series, Brooks said, "I expect to see one of the best coached Badger teams we've seen in a long time".

Brooks may have seemed introverted, but he really wasn't. He was the master of using mind games to get the most out of his players. A few stories I recall.

- They we're on a road trip (forget the year and opponent) and the night after the last game Brooks implemented a curfew. He knew players would show up late, so he waited in the hallway of the hotel. Curfew came and went and players slowly started showing up. As the rounded the corner to get to the block of rooms, there would be Herb waiting. He would sternly tell them to go to his room so that he could have a word with them and he'd meet them there. The players thought they were in trouble, but when they got to his room there was a pizza party going on. Everyone would be quite, and then when a player would walk in, they would all bust out laughing.

- After the Gophers won the McNaughton Trophy in 1975, but lost to Tech in the NCAA title game (big upset), when the Gophers were presented with the McNaughton, Brooks walked into the locker room with the trophy, past the team, and proceeded to place it in the toilet and flush it.

- He would constantly tell the team and media that he wasn't very impressed with a quality team, or that he was with a poor quality team, to either give his team confidence or prevent a letdown. And I recall him telling the 1980 Olympic team before the Gold Medal game against Finland that if they lost they would "take it to their ####ing graves". He started to walk away, then turned back around and said again "####ing graves".

Classic Brooks.

Man I miss him!!

Just wish the sonofagun would have used his dang seatbelt!!

Comment

I hate the Vikings. I hate everything about them. I hate the dome. I hate the piped in "crowd" noise. I hate Ragnark or whatever the mascot's name is. I hate the horn that is supposed to fire up the crowd (did vikings actually use horns?). I hated Chris Carter's touchdown-point to heaven thingy. I hated what Randy Moss did to us. I hate purple. I hated John Randle's face paint. I hate Jared Allen.

Even though it would give me/us something to rip on you guys about and even with all that hate, I don't want them to move anywhere.
                            I use to feel that way about the Packers.. I just dont anymore, I think I admire the club to much.. Just a class organization from top down. I can only hope that Zygi and company steal a page or two from them. I loved CC and Randle.. Especially Randle.. That chicken in the favre jersey commercial was an instant classic

Comment

You'll still have SCSU and Duluth!
                              And UNO til Blais retires, then that program will most likely slip off into the quiet once again..

Comment

Wow. That sounds like a rich,full,life you got going for you. Any other interests?

Comment

Working...
                                X