This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XX - Growth Through Experience

uhm, 8 losses. this is ridiculous and I don't care how many frosh/soph's are on the team. that's not an excuse or alibi, correct? cause talent and desire wins pure and simple regardless of age.

Wisconsin should be a team that gets 8-10 losses TOTAL in a season. not 8 losses in the first 14 freaking games.

pathetic. just pathetic.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

also...I hope we don't have to read more "we played well" Sauer-type quotes in the paper in regard to this. playing well had better be a given. I want to see some fires lit under this team. Mercyhurst won't be a barometer of anything except suckage if UW manages to not get 4 points.

In two weeks they'd better take it to UMD and get 3 points minimum at home. minimum.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Wisconsin played well Friday night, IMO, but were just up against a better team. Saturday night, CC came out with a lot of speed on the attack and Bucky had no answer. I give Wisconsin credit for slowing things down and mucking things up in the second period. They played their kind of game and did it well. CC just didn't back down, and more importantly, didn't allow Wisconsin to draw any stupid penalties that would help get them back into the game. From a less than neutral viewpoint (obviously), I didn't think Wisconsin played poorly this weekend. I thought it was more a matter of CC being really focused, having a good crowd behind them, and taking care of business on home ice. It is a bit unlike most CC teams I have come to know over many years, but they were very physical this weekend along with their normal skill type of game.
        Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
        -dggoddard

Comment

All I have to say is, WOW!! Those are some sharp third sweaters the Badgers have. Very classy and eye catching. To all the diehard fans out there in Madison, you guys NEED to buy those jerseys.
          Colorado College Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
            Wisconsin played well Friday night, IMO, but were just up against a better team. Saturday night, CC came out with a lot of speed on the attack and Bucky had no answer. I give Wisconsin credit for slowing things down and mucking things up in the second period. They played their kind of game and did it well. CC just didn't back down, and more importantly, didn't allow Wisconsin to draw any stupid penalties that would help get them back into the game. From a less than neutral viewpoint (obviously), I didn't think Wisconsin played poorly this weekend. I thought it was more a matter of CC being really focused, having a good crowd behind them, and taking care of business on home ice. It is a bit unlike most CC teams I have come to know over many years, but they were very physical this weekend along with their normal skill type of game.
            good overview. and I wish CC well.

for UW though, this is just tough. especially when you see that the DU's, BC's, and Nodak's of the world generally don't have these up's and down's. UW SHOULD be right there...annually.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              uhm, 8 losses. this is ridiculous and I don't care how many frosh/soph's are on the team. that's not an excuse or alibi, correct? cause talent and desire wins pure and simple regardless of age.

Wisconsin should be a team that gets 8-10 losses TOTAL in a season. not 8 losses in the first 14 freaking games.

pathetic. just pathetic.
              You expect UW to be a 30 win team every season? (34 regular season games + 4 WCHA playoff games + 1 NCAA game = 39 games) I don't think that it is realistic for us fans expect a 0.750 to 0.800 winning % every year, something in the 0.600-0.650 (~25 wins) would be much more reasonable as an average expectation.

UW has had ONE season since they joined the WCHA that they have had 8 (76-77) or fewer losses and only 4 where they have less than 10.

also...I hope we don't have to read more "we played well" Sauer-type quotes in the paper in regard to this. playing well had better be a given. I want to see some fires lit under this team. Mercyhurst won't be a barometer of anything except suckage if UW manages to not get 4 points.

In two weeks they'd better take it to UMD and get 3 points minimum at home. minimum.
              It's possible to play well and still lose. It's also possible to play poorly and win. What's far more important is to constantly work towards making incremental improvements. I don't care (much) about the results of indistinguishable regular season games in November and December, what I care far more about is if they are in a possition to win the games in March and April that do truly matter.

It's a learning process, you can not just expect them to jump to the end and expect the process to have worked. Get a pair of wins against Mercyhurst and then take that next step at home against UMD: Play well both night for all 3 periods and put away a WCHA team when you get the chance.

for UW though, this is just tough. especially when you see that the DU's, BC's, and Nodak's of the world generally don't have these up's and down's. UW SHOULD be right there...annually.
              Because UND is setting the world on fire so far this season? UND has had some slow starts in the past, they have gone through the same youth development process with growing pains that UW has but they have manages to get better and make a run in the 2nd half of the season.

Denver has been on a good run these last few seasons, but they have had years where they lost in the First round of the WCHA playoffs at home and didn't make the NCAA tournament (05-06 & 06-07). Hard to call seasons that end that way particularly successful.

BC has been very good over the last decade or so, but they have still had years where they finished at to near 0.500 (01-02 & 08-09).

It isn't that you don't have a point, you do but the bigger issue is about more than just this one season. It isn't that programs don't have down years or slow starts, but that Eaves has not yet managed to reach a level of consistent performance year and an year out. The down periods are far more common than they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                You expect UW to be a 30 win team every season? (34 regular season games + 4 WCHA playoff games + 1 NCAA game = 39 games) I don't think that it is realistic for us fans expect a 0.750 to 0.800 winning % every year, something in the 0.600-0.650 (~25 wins) would be much more reasonable as an average expectation.

UW has had ONE season since they joined the WCHA that they have had 8 (76-77) or fewer losses and only 4 where they have less than 10.

It's possible to play well and still lose. It's also possible to play poorly and win. What's far more important is to constantly work towards making incremental improvements. I don't care (much) about the results of indistinguishable regular season games in November and December, what I care far more about is if they are in a possition to win the games in March and April that do truly matter.

It's a learning process, you can not just expect them to jump to the end and expect the process to have worked. Get a pair of wins against Mercyhurst and then take that next step at home against UMD: Play well both night for all 3 periods and put away a WCHA team when you get the chance.

Because UND is setting the world on fire so far this season? UND has had some slow starts in the past, they have gone through the same youth development process with growing pains that UW has but they have manages to get better and make a run in the 2nd half of the season.

Denver has been on a good run these last few seasons, but they have had years where they lost in the First round of the WCHA playoffs at home and didn't make the NCAA tournament (05-06 & 06-07). Hard to call seasons that end that way particularly successful.

BC has been very good over the last decade or so, but they have still had years where they finished at to near 0.500 (01-02 & 08-09).

It isn't that you don't have a point, you do but the bigger issue is about more than just this one season. It isn't that programs don't have down years or slow starts, but that Eaves has not yet managed to reach a level of consistent performance year and an year out. The down periods are far more common than they should be.
                I don't expect 30 wins per season, but I do expect them to contend every year for a top 3-4 WCHA spot, or 4 of every 5 years be right there with everyone. And that's not where they're at and frankly, they haven't been in that type of position to contend annually since their run that ended in 93.

I don't know how the Coaches or team addresses the consistency thing. I remember Gwoz had up and down years in his first 5-6 years as DU coach, but they've been **** consistent since then and it's frustrating as UW hasn't been nearly as good (overall). their record vs. DU and CC really says a lot. I'm pretty astounded by it honestly. 4-14-1 vs. CC in the last several years? I'd hazard a guess the record vs. DU is the same. not good.

When it comes to Nodak, yeah they're struggling now but Hakstol has always gotten the ship righted by season's end and has them contending. I'd be shocked if that were not the case this year in grand forks.

I know it's possible to play poorly and win or play well and lose, but it grates on me when they lose and the quotes are "we played well", that reminds me of years past with JS. I'd rather hear what Zengerle said yesterday "It was unacceptable by us." that sums it up and gives me hope they can come out with some serious attitude and blow someone's doors off soon.

Comment

good overview. and I wish CC well.

This is an honest question for Wisconsin fans because I'm genuinely curious as to what some of you think: Wisconsin basically plays on the Olympic sized ice at home (ok, 3 feet narrower, but close enough), yet Eaves generally prefers a slower, more physical game for the most part. Do you guys think they would be better off recruiting faster, more wide open types of players due to the number of games they play on big ice every year? Or do you think the style has little or nothing to do with whether they are or are not successful?
                  Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                  -dggoddard

Comment

I don't expect 30 wins per season, but I do expect them to contend every year for a top 3-4 WCHA spot, or 4 of every 5 years be right there with everyone. And that's not where they're at and frankly, they haven't been in that type of position to contend annually since their run that ended in 93.

I don't know how the Coaches or team addresses the consistency thing. I remember Gwoz had up and down years in his first 5-6 years as DU coach, but they've been **** consistent since then and it's frustrating as UW hasn't been nearly as good (overall). their record vs. DU and CC really says a lot. I'm pretty astounded by it honestly. 4-14-1 vs. CC in the last several years? I'd hazard a guess the record vs. DU is the same. not good.

When it comes to Nodak, yeah they're struggling now but Hakstol has always gotten the ship righted by season's end and has them contending. I'd be shocked if that were not the case this year in grand forks.

I know it's possible to play poorly and win or play well and lose, but it grates on me when they lose and the quotes are "we played well", that reminds me of years past with JS. I'd rather hear what Zengerle said yesterday "It was unacceptable by us." that sums it up and gives me hope they can come out with some serious attitude and blow someone's doors off soon.
                    What team competes for the WCHA title every year? None of them. Every team has down years and slow starts, it happens and it is completely unavoidable. But you also can't fully evaluate a season when only 1/3 of it has been completed. My baseline for UW is 20 wins, home ice in the first round, and making the NCAA tournament very year, accomplish those things and other good things will follow.

UND, CC, DU, UMN also expect to be in the top 3 every season, add in UNO, SCSU, and UMD as teams that can have outstanding seasons and it's mathematically impossible for all those teams to finish in the top 3 every season, let alone get home ice. The fact of the matter is that the WCHA is arguably the 3rd toughest hockey league in all of North America (behind the NHL and AHL) and that up and down seasons are going to happen.

The team did play well on Friday, they just didn't take advantage of their opportunities and CC did. On Saturday, the Badgers didn't come out ready to play and they got blitzed by CC and were down 2-0 before they knew what had happened, but they righted things and fought on but CC wasn't about to let them back into the game. Hopefully they learned the lesions that (1)they have to be ready to go from the drop of the puck and (2) to win on the road you must capitalize on your opportunities and (3) good teams dictate the flow of the game, not letting the other team get comfortable. Learning those lessons NOW is worth a pair of early season losses so they they pay dividends in games that truly matter.

Comment

I find the yearly consistency bickering funny...3 WCHA teams have played for a National Championship in the past six seasons. Wisconsin accounts for two of the three. Whatever, not every season is going to be roses. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the potential roster next year and the year after and realize that Wisconsin should have as good of a shot as any to contend for a National Championship.

Wisconsin Hockey: In Eaves we trust.

Comment

What team competes for the WCHA title every year? None of them. Every team has down years and slow starts, it happens and it is completely unavoidable. But you also can't fully evaluate a season when only 1/3 of it has been completed. My baseline for UW is 20 wins, home ice in the first round, and making the NCAA tournament very year, accomplish those things and other good things will follow.

UND, CC, DU, UMN also expect to be in the top 3 every season, add in UNO, SCSU, and UMD as teams that can have outstanding seasons and it's mathematically impossible for all those teams to finish in the top 3 every season, let alone get home ice. The fact of the matter is that the WCHA is arguably the 3rd toughest hockey league in all of North America (behind the NHL and AHL) and that up and down seasons are going to happen.

The team did play well on Friday, they just didn't take advantage of their opportunities and CC did. On Saturday, the Badgers didn't come out ready to play and they got blitzed by CC and were down 2-0 before they knew what had happened, but they righted things and fought on but CC wasn't about to let them back into the game. Hopefully they learned the lesions that (1)they have to be ready to go from the drop of the puck and (2) to win on the road you must capitalize on your opportunities and (3) good teams dictate the flow of the game, not letting the other team get comfortable. Learning those lessons NOW is worth a pair of early season losses so they they pay dividends in games that truly matter.
                        I don't mean a wcha title, just a top 3-4-5 spot. For UW that really shouldn't be a stretch. What I'm looking for is what DU, BC and Nodak generally have. Which is they're considered contenders pretty much annually. I can' t remember the last time DU or Nodak were picked for 8th. that doesn't mean they don't have a down year once every 4-5 they all do. It's just UW seems to have more of those ups and downs.

Saturday is what ****ed me off. getting their doors blown off in a situation where they should have been ready to drop the puck at noon if they had too. Instead they apparently showed up 1/2 hour late. that's the most frustrating thing you can see. honestly how can you NOT be ready to go?

thankfully the schedule gets easier in the 2nd half

Comment

Look at North Dakota's records from 1990-96. Every program goes through down periods longer than a few years. The difference is, those periods are fewer and farther between for the best programs. Wisconsin will be fine. I'm not about to predict championship like Chuck, but they will bounce back.

Comment

Not likely this year. Possible, but not likely.

Comment

Not a particularly proud era since the 06 title. The other title game was great, but beyond that there hasn't been a whole lot to be proud of beyond our NHL alums.

It'd be nice to see them at least contend for WHCA hardware for a change. As proud as we rightfully are for our 6 NCs, I'd love to see that cupboard a little less bare.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I was talking to Brad Schlossman, the UND beat writer about this earlier in the season. UND fans complain that they aren't like Wisconsin who has played in two National Championship games in the past 6 years, and Wisconsin fans complain that they aren't like UND and more consistent.

Wisconsin Hockey: The grass isn't always greener

Comment

Working...
                                X