• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Poll Predictions for 11/1

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Ummm, what's your problem?
    I don't think I have one.

I just don't understand why everyone has to attempt to justify why their team lost to a group of 17 or 18 year olds and why another team beat them. This happens every year. No, Plattsburgh didn't play the "good" U-18 roster while Adrian played the scrubs. There are no scrubs in the USDT program. That's the point, they're for the most part the very best American players of their age. No one sits and doesn't play against good teams. If you're sitting on the US U-18 team, you leave and return to a Midget tier 1 or Junior program. The whole point of the USDT program is to get those kids playing against good competition on a regular basis. If you're sitting, you're not getting better, and would be better suited going somewhere else where you can play in game situations and improve your skill set.

Sorry my original post was misconstrued by some people. Especially to the person who negative repp'd me anonymously.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
      I don't think I have one.

I just don't understand why everyone has to attempt to justify why their team lost to a group of 17 or 18 year olds and why another team beat them. This happens every year. No, Plattsburgh didn't play the "good" U-18 roster while Adrian played the scrubs. There are no scrubs in the USDT program. That's the point, they're for the most part the very best American players of their age. No one sits and doesn't play against good teams. If you're sitting on the US U-18 team, you leave and return to a Midget tier 1 or Junior program. The whole point of the USDT program is to get those kids playing against good competition on a regular basis. If you're sitting, you're not getting better, and would be better suited going somewhere else where you can play in game situations and improve your skill set.

Sorry my original post was misconstrued by some people. Especially to the person who negative repp'd me anonymously.
      Nobody was trying to justify why one team lost and why one team won, people were wondering if the same players were playing from the beginning. Mainly because before the addition of the Under 17 team the Under 18 team had a number of players that coaches had to run different players excecpt for a select few. The only post about Plattsburgh was we as fans would like to see Platty play them after a few games under thier belt and some of the upperclassmen back that were not able to play. I was at that game and it could have gone either way with Plattsburgh hitting 2 post's and 1 phantom goal that the ref said didn't go in but that is hockey 1" and the game is 2-2 or a puck off the ice hits the net to stop the doubt and the game is 3-2. Congrats to all the D3 teams win or lose they showed that they could hang with a team with some projected 1st rd NHL draft picks and future D1 players. I am not trying to be rude or argumenitive just saying what I read and took from the post's. As for what the tread is about I could see Oswego drop maybe to the 4th spot from the 2nd spot with the loss Utica isn't going to jump high maybe 5 spots at the most. Right now the polls don't mean much because I believe they go off SOS from the end of last year since it is only a few weeks into the season.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
        No one sits and doesn't play against good teams.
        But this used to be the case, which is why I brought it up, and then proven to be wrong.

And that wasn't me... I don't bother with repping anyone.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

The one thing I will say about the US team is yes they are very talented, but they also seem to be inconsistant at times. Beating them is no easy task but over the years you will see them beat a D1 power and then lose to a mid tier junior team. I don't know if its the age factor? Team chemistry? The whole Herb Brooks All-Star team vs. team concept. Winning or losing to the US team is no slouch either way. But some of us who have been around a while do remember the days when the US team would play their "A" squad against D1 schools and then tbier "B" squd against D3 teams. Obviously its changed. When you're playing the US team you're getting one heck of a hockey team for any DIII team. Its a great tune up for any DIII team. Obviously I think Norwich and Neumann proved once again the top DIII teams are not that far off from the lower end DI teams.
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
            The one thing I will say about the US team is yes they are very talented, but they also seem to be inconsistant at times. Beating them is no easy task but over the years you will see them beat a D1 power and then lose to a mid tier junior team. I don't know if its the age factor? Team chemistry? The whole Herb Brooks All-Star team vs. team concept. Winning or losing to the US team is no slouch either way. But some of us who have been around a while do remember the days when the US team would play their "A" squad against D1 schools and then tbier "B" squd against D3 teams. Obviously its changed. When you're playing the US team you're getting one heck of a hockey team for any DIII team. Its a great tune up for any DIII team. Obviously I think Norwich and Neumann proved once again the top DIII teams are not that far off from the lower end DI teams.
            Considering they practice and play together for quite a long time, I would go with the age factor.

Despite all these debating points, for me it all comes down to the fact these are exhibition games. And I never give a crap about exhibition game results. They never mean squat to me (except the Jets-Giants game, and this year we get the real thing) nor indicate anything, IMO.
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
              agree very good warm-up for these d3 teams....also I think dartmouth is a highly rated team this yr they have several votes in the polls, so NOT a bottom tier team THIS yr, Norwich was impressive from what I have read.....

Comment

Originally posted by dmac1103 View Post
                Nobody was trying to justify why one team lost .........e
                Really ?? .......then why is it necessary to add this ?

......as fans would like to see Platty play them after a few games under thier belt and some of the upperclassmen back that were not able to play. I was at that game and it could have gone either way with Plattsburgh hitting 2 post's and 1 phantom goal that the ref said didn't go in but that is hockey 1" and the game is 2-2 or a puck off the ice hits the net to stop the doubt and the game is 3-2. .
                Appears to be a case of woulda, shoulda, coulda. ........to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  Despite all these debating points, for me it all comes down to the fact these are exhibition games. And I never give a crap about exhibition game results. They never mean squat to me (except the Jets-Giants game, and this year we get the real thing) nor indicate anything, IMO.
                  I think they can mean quite a lot. For Norwich to outshoot Dartmouth and then beat Trois-Riviers, that's a big deal. That can create quite a lot of momentum and confidence. Great experience for the younger players as well. It can be true with a poor performance as well. I remember Norwich losing to Curry in an exhibition game. It was a wake up call for the players and coaches.

I think that playing an exhibition game is always a positive. I bet Dartmouth had an amazing week of practice last week. I bet they were humble and ready to get down to business.

Comment

Russ I see you vote...Where would you put Utica and Oswego now ?
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by AldenPartridge1819 View Post
                      I think they can mean quite a lot. For Norwich to outshoot Dartmouth and then beat Trois-Riviers, that's a big deal. That can create quite a lot of momentum and confidence. Great experience for the younger players as well. It can be true with a poor performance as well. I remember Norwich losing to Curry in an exhibition game. It was a wake up call for the players and coaches.

I think that playing an exhibition game is always a positive. I bet Dartmouth had an amazing week of practice last week. I bet they were humble and ready to get down to business.
                      Read what I wrote carefully.

The RESULTS never mean squat to ME. I don't pay any credence to exhibition game results. Ergo, I don't waste my time bothering to argue whether the results mean anything over whom did or did not beat whom. That's why they are called EXHIBITIONS. I understand exhibitions have significance to coaches and players (I used to play sports) for various reasons, but the results themselves don't mean a thing to me.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
                        Really ?? .......then why is it necessary to add this ?

Appears to be a case of woulda, shoulda, coulda. ........to me.
                        Not really I never said if Platty would have had those other players they would have won, or they should have had the game later on to get more practices in or if they would have more practice they could have won. I was not justifying anything just saying that I would have, as other fans would have, like to see how the game would have went with the full lineup in there.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                          Russ I see you vote...Where would you put Utica and Oswego now ?
                          I'm surprised it took this long for someone to ask me.

Since I'm lazy, I generally don't think about it until the email requesting my vote arrives in my Inbox. Thus, I didn't think about it much this week.

However, I can tell you that for the first poll, I had Oswego number one and St. Norbert number two. Thus, since they both lost, I would probably keep them that way. I refuse to put a team (in this case Norwich who I had at number three) number one that hasn't played a game yet when the season is already underway.

As for Utica, I would move them way up in the poll, but can't say exactly where without having to think about it (see previous statement about laziness...).
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Russell, You could move Adrian back to 10TH, where they were with a 24-3 record last Mar. 8), then you could put Utica in the number 4 slot. Adrian seemed to enjoy the challenge starting from 12th when they got the auto bid. It would help if you would recommend a bye again.

Comment

Working...
                            X