Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sioux vs Gophers - Sioux invade the John...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    There are other things to do in town, which is not true of GF.
    Not to mention much larger ticket prices. They don't need as large of a seating capacity to be profitable, and opted for the larger sheet of ice.
    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-01-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Agreed. I can't speak for the Old Engelstad during the early-to-mid 1990s (remember, the Sioux did win the National Title in '97 and arguably should have in '98 and '99), but even the new Ralph has had a few weekends where there has been fewer than 11k in attendance. Of course nothing was as bad as This Game.

At the end of the day, if you lose for an extended period of time, there will be the natural dip in attendance. If Minnesota continues their strong play, I am sure that by February and March their stadium will be full.
      I was referring to the period of NCAA absence the Sue had in the early to mid 90's. Before their titles

Comment

• Re: Sioux vs Gophers - Sioux invade the John...

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        things like these...
        Friday
        Night
        Activities

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
          why does minnesota have this problem with their larger fanbase and smaller arena?
          That and the large percentage of tickets owned by businesses that don't necessarily have someone attending every game. Also, what's the price of a ticket at REA for the Sue? Gophers tix are $35 a seat for every game all year (other than the Mariucci Classic 2 games/day). That's $35 a seat whether we're playing UND or British Columbia.

Comment

I love when you guys say this and then turn around proclaim yourselves the epicenter of all things hockey in the U.S.

What could possibly be going on that would supplant a Gopher hockey game?

High school hockey, right?

With so many hockey families in the area, I would think that there would still be 10k or whatever the Mooch holds that would want to go. This in addition to those choosing the local squirt game or whatever you guys will say people do for their hockey fix instead of going to Gopher games.

Okay, back to lurking. You guys sure know how to do a series thread!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              I love when you guys say this and then turn around proclaim yourselves the epicenter of all things hockey in the U.S.

With so many hockey families in the area, I would think that there would still be 10k or whatever the Mooch holds that would want to go. This in addition to those choosing the local squirt game or whatever you guys will say people do for their hockey fix instead of going to Gopher games.

I actually think it goes hand-in-hand. Why spend $35 to watch a crap product (not talking just about wins and losses here) when there are so many good high school games in town for a fraction of the cost?

Minnesota hockey fans will come out in droves to watch hockey if the team they are watching gives an honest effort. But when many of the kids on the team are playing with one foot out the door, and don't look like they have much interest being here (see Kyle Okposo, Erik Johnson, etc..), that will turn any fan off.

Bring back Pride On Ice and the Mooch will be rocking again.
              Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-01-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                Of course nothing was as bad as This Game.
                What the what?!
                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Wow. First of all we are the epicenter of all things hockey. Any thoughts to the contrary are just plain wrong from someone who obviously doesn't understand the world of hockey.

The biggest thing is DVR. Thanks to that invention now it is much easier to catch the hockey games when other things are going on. I do it all the time because sometimes I get restless watching a live game. Plus the ticket prices that have already been mentioned. If it costed as much as highschool games I would be there every game. But I can't shell out almost $100 too often for a hockey game when I can go local. Granted my personal local teams are crap, with the exception of my own kid's mite team of course!, but going a little further would see some top notch youth talent.

Comment

I apologize beforehand for interjecting facts into this excuse making for a few Minnesota fans but a ticket to a Sioux game varies from measly $32.50 to a nearly giving tickets away $47.50. Nothing compared to Gopher fans having to pay an astronomical $35, but they live in the big city and therefore can expect to pay more.
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

More hate from our neighbors to the East... All Hail The Minnesota Badgers!! Where the Kohl remains chock full of Chants "Siv Siv Siv"! Wait, was that an empty netter? derp derp derp

Wasn't long ago the Badger stands were empty during any game, minus when the Gophs came to town and filled it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                        I apologize beforehand for interjecting facts into this excuse making for a few Minnesota fans but a ticket to a Sioux game varies from measly $32.50 to a nearly giving tickets away $47.50. Nothing compared to Gopher fans having to pay an astronomical $35, but they live in the big city and therefore can expect to pay more.
                        Did anyone say that ticket prices were the sole reason? I'd pay twice the cost if I were getting an honest effort on a nightly basis.

And in case you didn't hear, Minnesota's season ticket prices are going way up, and some will require a hefty donation on top of the price of the tickets, so many people I know have dropped their season tickets.

GPL Discussion
                        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-01-2011, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
                          That and the large percentage of tickets owned by businesses that don't necessarily have someone attending every game. Also, what's the price of a ticket at REA for the Sue? Gophers tix are $35 a seat for every game all year (other than the Mariucci Classic 2 games/day). That's $35 a seat whether we're playing UND or British Columbia.
                          For this season...

Harvard, Russian Red Stars: $25.00
                          Michigan Tech, St. Cloud State: $35.00
                          Colorado College, Maine, Minnesota State, Nebraska Omaha, Wisconsin: $40.00
                          Minnesota: $50.00

Denver is also in the $50.00 price range, but we do not play them at home this year.

That puts the average at $37.63/game

http://www.fightingsiou*****/ViewArt...CLID=205268598
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                            Did anyone say that ticket prices were the sole reason?

And in case you didn't hear, Minnesota's season ticket prices are going way up, and some will require a hefty donation on top of the price of the tickets, so many people I know have dropped their season tickets.

GPL Discussion
                            Yes Yes Yes. There are plenty of excuses why Minnesota doesn't fill the stands. One gets shot down and another will be presented, I understand.

So by hefty donation are you saying it's similar to UND? Well isn't that just shocking!
                            Last edited by Dirty; 11-01-2011, 03:22 PM.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Now all we need is for Jockstock to come back.

Paging "crazy legs" Jockstock

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                                Did anyone say that ticket prices were the sole reason? I'd pay twice the cost if I were getting an honest effort on a nightly basis.

GPL Discussion
                                Season ticket sales will plummet once the Gophs move to the Big 10... I know many many season ticket holders who have very little interest in traveling to a PS game, or watching the Gophs play a home series vs an "OS" with the inflated ticket prices and "lesser" matchups.

BTN Revenue looks good on paper, I have my suspicions it will flop within a couple years and hit a drought..

As for current empty seats, imo its simple, the team has sucked for the past few seasons and thats the sole reason. Im old enough to remember UW seats sitting empty for very long stretches and UND games not up to 1/2 capacity in the past as well.. It is what it is, a very large portion in attendance at most games are either students or relatively recent alumni who would rather get drunk at the local tavern and watch the games on tv.. But the Gophs do have a very large fanbase and those thinking otherwise are only lying to themselves.. Those seats will fill back up...

Comment

Working...
                                X