No announcement yet.

"Pay-to-play" - a blessing in disguise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pay-to-play" - a blessing in disguise?

The NCAA decision to allow colleges to pay their athletes for playing may have one excellent consequence. Until now an athlete who committed a felony or flunked all the easiest courses their college could offer were punished in one of two ways: suspension from the team or expulsion from the college. Either of these actions made teams less competitive and disappointed loyal fans. Now the NCAA pay-to-play initiative offers a third alternative. Cut the player's salary but leave the player on the team, subject to being called an "amateur athlete" - harsh punishment indeed. After all, cutting salaries is how private business reacts to people who perform poorly, except, of course, CEO's,Executives, Directors, Managers, Chairmen, Bank Presidents, and their immediate relations. Perhaps, like their counterparts in private business, top level athletes could receive bonuses for bad decisions and destructive actions.

Re: "Pay-to-play" - a blessing in disguise?

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    After all, cutting salaries is how private business reacts to people who perform poorly
    What private businesses do that? Usually they just fire them.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      What private businesses do that? Usually they just fire them.
      When the profits of private financial and industrial corporations tanked two or three years ago their executives, directors, etc. received healthy bonuses, often millions of dollars. Don't you remember? It was only a couple of years ago, and the facts were widely reported. What's good for G.M. is good for the country, right? Why not give losing coaches and underperforming star athletes big bonuses?

Comment

When the profits of private financial and industrial corporations tanked two or three years ago their executives, directors, etc. received healthy bonuses, often millions of dollars. Don't you remember? It was only a couple of years ago, and the facts were widely reported. What's good for G.M. is good for the country, right? Why not give losing coaches and underperforming star athletes big bonuses?
        Umm... According to the US Census, state tax revenue for the state of NY (largely funded by income tax on Wall Street bankers/brokers) fell from $147B in 2008 to $92B in 2009 - a 37% drop. If you think bonuses are anywhere near the same level when things go badly as when they go well, you're smoking some powerful stuff.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

...Until now an athlete who committed a felony or flunked all the easiest courses their college could offer were punished in one of two ways: suspension from the team or expulsion from the college. Either of these actions made teams less competitive and disappointed loyal fans.
          Silly me. All these years I've been under the impression that the prime function of colleges and universities was to produce learned ladies and gentlemen who would go forth into the various professions, advance the human condition, and generally make the world a better place. Running a farm system free gratis for the NFL and NBA was never part of it until TV money started corrupting the ivory towers. How could I have been so wrong?
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            Silly me. All these years I've been under the impression that the prime function of colleges and universities was to produce learned ladies and gentlemen who would go forth into the various professions, advance the human condition, and generally make the world a better place. Running a farm system free gratis for the NFL and NBA was never part of it until TV money started corrupting the ivory towers. How could I have been so wrong?
            Free gratis... isn't that redundant?

Comment

I like turtles.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I’m convinced bear red is part of a CHN conspiracy to sap and impurify all USCHO posters’ precious bodily fluids.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Free gratis... isn't that redundant?
                  Not at all. "Gratis" was intended for Ivy League readers; "free" was intended for the rest of us. That way, everybody gets the message.

Comment

I like how the post starts with a bad idea and then switches into what he thought was a witty political statement. It's basically two asinine posts merged with a ****astic segueway.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      Not at all. "Gratis" was intended for Ivy League readers; "free" was intended for the rest of us. That way, everybody gets the message.
                      However for those non-ivy leaguers that have an understanding of Latin, it is redundant. Had you put one in parentheses, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                        I’m convinced bear red is part of a CHN conspiracy to sap and impurify all USCHO posters’ precious bodily fluids.
                        Dang, my nickname has caught on... gotta come up with a new one...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          However for those non-ivy leaguers that have an understanding of Latin, it is redundant. Had you put one in parentheses, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
                          OK, I'll see your parentheses and raise you a pair of quotation marks.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            Umm... According to the US Census, state tax revenue for the state of NY (largely funded by income tax on Wall Street bankers/brokers) fell from $147B in 2008 to $92B in 2009 - a 37% drop. If you think bonuses are anywhere near the same level when things go badly as when they go well, you're smoking some powerful stuff.
                            "largely funded?" Pleeezzze! Your Wall Street heroes, both winners and losers, get splendid tax breaks, haven't you heard? If the NCAA wishes to emulate professional sports with a pay-to-play program why stop at trickle-down? Let's go with signing bonuses, seasonal bonuses, and golden parachutes, all unrelated to actual performance. It's called privatizing. BTW: Don't fret about the "bear red" sobriquet. I got that from H.U.A.C.. Several offspring from that committee post on this site and must have been leafing through old hearing transcripts, reminiscing.

Comment

"largely funded?" Pleeezzze! Your Wall Street heroes, both winners and losers, get splendid tax breaks, haven't you heard? If the NCAA wishes to emulate professional sports with a pay-to-play program why stop at trickle-down? Let's go with signing bonuses, seasonal bonuses, and golden parachutes, all unrelated to actual performance. It's called privatizing. BTW: Don't fret about the "bear red" sobriquet. I got that from H.U.A.C.. Several offspring from that committee post on this site and must have been leafing through old hearing transcripts, reminiscing.
                              I've been using that "sobriquet" the most often on here, and I do not belong to any HUAC. I just understand Spanish. (not fluently, but enough to understand your screen name)

Comment

Working...
                              X