Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH 2011-2012 - The Farewell Tour Kicks Off Tomorrow

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
    I bought a UAH 1979-2012 shirt yesterday. Hopefully you guys sell 100,000 of those and use that $ to start back up the program.
    Too bad SaveUAHHockey.com will not make very much money on this. Less than a buck a shirt.

Comment

My condolences to all involved with the UAH hockey program. Had the pleasure of meeting several fans and band students in Ft Wayne for the regional a few years ago. Knowledgable hockey fans and great people.

I will be wearing a UAH shirt to Michigan's hockey game tomorrow, and perhaps the rest of the season. I think it would be great to see UAH shirts everywhere (wish I could find a jersey)...especially at the Frozen Four. Sadly, this would accomplish nothing.

I wish my school would travel to some of the smaller schools instead of making everyone play at Yost (even with how much I love home games).

Who hates Potera?
      College hockey fans hate Potera!
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Well, as a UAH alumnus (Class of 74) and UAH Hockey fan and supporter since the first season (79-80), all I can say is @#%**&^$#%$^*()((&^%$#@@!@%&!!!

Guido should pay a visit to Portera... A person with a completely personal vendetta against all things UAH and a track record to prove it. A series of unfortunate events led to the perfect storm that allowed Portera to kill a storied program all while paying lip-service to it. Not the least of which was the demise of the CHA and the rejection by the CCHA (mostly by Anastos' refusal to support us). There is a huge difference in the way Bruce McLeod handled the situation resulting from the CHA's demise compared to Anastos. Losing the CHA as a route to the NCAA's and losing the CCHA as a home has cost us dearly in recruiting which is obvious to long time watchers of this program. Of course, had we not been in this vulnerable position, we would not have been so easy to kill.

Other factors were the firing of a UAH President who totally supported DI hockey and what it could do for a university and whose vision for UAH to become "big-time" was pushed a little, well, a lot too fast ticking off students and faculty alike. Then, the death of our AD who worked hard for the moment we could find a home and security. Also, the loss of the only member of the UA Board from UAH due to realignment didn't help. The UA Board hired a firm to find a new president for UAH while the Chancellor (Portera) self-appointed himself to Interim President (which at the time seemed just fine). Then, all of a sudden he announced that a complete review of the UAH Athletics Department would be undertaken and that no sport would be exempt and that hockey may not be sustainable (the first clue?). "Outside" people were brought in to analyze the athletics department, none of which knew a thing about hockey. He also announced that the "decision" would be his and his alone and that he would make it before the new president took office on November 1, 2011(the second clue?). When have you ever seen an Interim-President do anything other than maintain the status-quo until the permanent president takes office? Also, as far as I know, the only thing Portera did while Interim-President was kill our beloved hockey team.

The appearances of propriety were barely kept visible as it became clearly apparent that the "witch-hunt" had begun. Trips were taken in the name of seeing if hockey could be sustained but the truth be known, you get the answers you want by asking the "right" questions. For example: Which of the following questions do you think gives you the ammunition to kill a program on a financial basis?
        1. What does it take ($) to run a "viable" DI hockey program?
        2. What does it take ($)to run a "Highly Competitive" (read that as near-elite) DI hockey program?
        Now, before you answer that question keep in mind that this was asked of a currently "Highly Competitive" program with their own on-campus rink that included the costs of running the building etc. (Think in terms of, uh, like Miami for example). You can also ask that same question of a league commissioner(s) and get a similar answer. You can also NOT ask pertinent questions and form your own conclusions (since refuted by said commissioner). In other words, if you want to kill a program, lies always get in the way of the truth. UAH, the red-headed step-child of the UA system and obviously hated by Portera got stomped on once again. His statement that he's not sure you can even run a DI program in a DII athletic department shows his complete lack of understanding of the subject as probably half, if not more, of the DI hockey programs in existance are run out of DII athletic departments. In-fact, we've been doing it for years and years!

There is a littany of examples of Portera's obstruction of UAH doing or getting anything of substance or appearing on the national stage. Having a DI program at "little" UAH and being nationally known as the "Hockey Capital of the South" has been a thorn in his side for years. He has finally pulled it out without a bit of thought to the student-athletes, students, fans, community, or community leaders to include the Chamber of Commerce that has used UAH hockey as a recruiting tool for many years.

Back to the president search, a perfect potential president was found right in our own institution (Dr. Griffin sp?) but suddenly, during the search by the hired company Portera announces his hand-picked person for President. A person that worked for Portera at Mississippi State. What a coincidence, a perfect Portera puppet. Game over for president. Presidential head-hunter company, go home. Now lets hire a new AD and tell him that he can't do a single thing to promote UAH hockey until the final decision is made. A decision that, in our hearts, we knew was already made when the hockey analysis was announced. It was hard to believe but your gut kept screaming at you anyway... as it turns out, with good reason.

Portera telling us that hockey would still be a prominent sport for UAH at the club level is a statement that shows his complete and utter lack of understanding of just what this sport is!!! That is tantamount to turning the Crimson Tide (his sacred cow) into a touch-football program and telling Tide fans that its still significant!!!! Can you actually believe that? Further misunderstanding of hockey occured at the last coach's luncheon when the new AD said that if the decision to drop DI hockey came to be (prophetic, huh?) that he would get right on "hiring a coach and recruiting players"??? When is the last time you saw an athletic department involved in a club sport? I'd be shocked if the club team isn't relegated to the Iceplex. After DI, I don't see the VBC opening their arms to what amounts to high school hockey.

Yes fellow college hockey fans, a single man totally unconnected to the school, community, and area, with an obvious agenda, snubbed civic and business leaders, fans, the rest of the administration, students and faculty, and most of all the student-athletes, succeeded in killing the only DI hockey program south of the Mason-Dixon line. A program with 5 National Championships, several regular season championships, 2 CHA Tournament Championships, 2 NCAA Tournament appearances, Hobey Baker candidates, and 3 players to the NHL. All in the guise of finances. The same person who thinks a $75 million dollar stadium for UAB football is financially wise when UAH hockey has outdrawn UAB football on occasion!

Personally, I'm devastated. I've stayed quiet during this whole ordeal as I would have probably got myself into trouble saying what I really thought. I will always remember the great fans from other teams that I have met over the years on the road with the team and here in our own barn. I finally ended up being the only person to attend each and every CHA Tournament and tournament game. Most of you that know me recognize me as the photo-geek shooting all things UAH and for ten years CHA. I've met some great fans, parents, trainers, equipment managers, coaches, etc. and will always cherish those memories. While I still have this final season to shoot, this is pretty much my farewell... Peace out!
        Last edited by Douglas; 10-26-2011, 01:33 PM.
        Doug
        UAH 1974
        Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
        Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
        Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
        Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
        Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          I wish my school would travel to some of the smaller schools instead of making everyone play at Yost (even with how much I love home games).
          This point cannot be made too many times. Notre Dame will join the ranks of schools like this in a couple of seasons once the shifting takes place. They are on record as saying so. 12-14 non-conference games, and 10 will be at home. Once this trend really grabs hold when big brand name teams like Notre Dame and the B1G schools with their short conference schedules are all doing it, college hockey will become too much like college basketball. Only without the billion dollar contracts from CBS and Turner. There are smaller conference basketball schools that seem to play all or virtually all of their non conference games on the road, agreeing to be tomato cans 9 or 10 times for the BCS conferences. If we want to see more teams disappear from the ranks of NCAA D1 hockey, follow this model. Yeah, that'll be good for everyone.

Comment

Sorry to see these unfortunate developments for UAH. Wish the CCHA would have taken them.

Do any of these players have the potential to catch on as transfers with Division 1 Conference teams, like Clarke Saunders?

Comment

I don't see any viability for club status for the team at all. I would not blame the current players if they all leave (why stick around and be relegated to that level when you were playing Division I?), leaving there nothing on which to base a club team. Talk about potentially starting from scratch. And Brophy's comment about finding a coach and recruiting players? really? You are going to spend athletic budget on a team that is no longer part of your department? really? I am now waiting for Altenkirch and Brophy to say "well, if the community was able to receive $540,000 in pledges for the team, it is evident that support will be there for the new program." That will certainly get some folks further upset.

This is like having the CEO that came up through the ranks from the mail room be told to return there if he wants to keep his job (not that some CEOs don't deserve such handling... but I digress). I like the idea of the guys removing any vestige of the University of Alabama system from their uniforms when they play the remainder of the season, perhaps having only LUONGO printed on the front (with, of course, their numbers and names on the back). Of course, a lot of other people were there to support them through all of this disgraceful mess, but they are all playing together and Coach is the centerpiece in that respect. If I were to get truly sarcastic, though, they could have different shirts for each remaining game with ANASTOS, CCHA (yes, Paula, the schools of the CCHA are to share a large amount of the blame here; they knew the wave was coming, but "hoped" that by turning UAH away, all would remain status quo? really?), BROPHY, DELANY, and, of course, PORTERA emblazoned on them; anything but UAH, and certainly anything with Alabama even mentioned.

Geof, Douglas, Mike, Terry, et al., we all shared a love for this program for so many years... other than utter contempt for our own Voldemort here, I really do not know what to say. I hope this doesn't happen to any other schools; but, really, with the way this has been handled and the uniqueness of the program, something like this will obviously never happen again.

The good fight was fought... the battle is over, and now I, for one, though grudgingly, accept defeat.

Comment

It essentially is starting from scratch. Most of the players will transfer. Some might stay. Coach Luongo will find another opportunity.

Someone or some group would have to start the club team. They will have to find coaches, find players and find opponents. They'll have to secure ice time for practice and games (and you're right -- any action will have to be at the ice complex). It's basically 1979 all over again, except it will cost more (even adjusting for inflation) than what Joe Ritch had when he started the original Chargers. None of the above is assured, which is why a lot of people -- including myself -- sees this as an abolition than a "demotion."

Not that anyone here needs any convincing, but Portera spouted out a bunch of junk. I like Tom Reale's blog on Without a Peer today, for he refutes Portera point by point: http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/10/disgrace.html

And of course Portera makes this announcement in his final week as UAH interim president. He can slink off to Tuscaloosa for good and forget this even happened. Fine. Don't come back to Huntsville. Ever.
                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

I have never posted on this site before but i couldn't sit back any longer.I'm the proud parent of a UAH gradute and hockey alumni. I can't say enough how truly sad I am to hear about the demise of the hockey program at UAH.I'm not here to lay blame as the damage is already done but I will say how frustrating it has been to see a bunch of hard working, dedicated good people with nothing but the best intentions fighting to meet a goal to find it wasn,t going to be met because the target kept moving.I can say with conviction knowing some of these people they would have done anything asked to save this program even though it was becoming apparent it was being set up to fail.

The sudden passing of the athletic director Jim Harris and dismissal of President Williams who were both supporters of the program set things up for the non supporters.Last year the Von Braun Center was under construction for the whole season making it very difficult to draw large crowds. That was when they were lucky enough to have a home weekend .Playing as an independant made it tough to get teams to come to Huntsville and kudos to the coaches for being able to put together some great schedules albeit mostly on the road.The fact they could go out and recruit is a testament of their dedication by a staff that thought they could count on the support of the schools administration

I was fortunate to make a lot of those home weekends and every time i spoke to someone from the visiting team they would always comment on the great facilities, nice city and of course the weather.If it wasnt for UAH i'm not sure I would have visited Alabama and I'm sure glad I did

I really feel bad for all the great people and loyal supporters I met over the years and want to thank them for their kindness and support.

But most importantly I feel for the coaches,players,staff and their families who have been trying to carry on their daily lives with this black cloud hanging over them wondering what the future holds.Once you've been involved you see how close this program was to taking the next step with the right leadership.

To the coaches and players you are too talented and dedicated to not find new homes.Good luck the rest of the season and play hard for each other.

Bill Burkholder

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Too bad SaveUAHHockey.com will not make very much money on this. Less than a buck a shirt.
                    I know. I was being more facetious than anything. Still excited to get the shirt though.

Edit: And not because I am glad to see UAH hockey go. ^

Comment

**** you, Portera.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

It seems that cutting the hockey program just one element in portera's larger agenda to undercut UAH and Huntsville to benefit the main campus and Tuscaloosa:

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/10/..._tuscaloo.html

This lends credibility to claims that his mind was made up long ago. Why else would he assign himself interim president in lieu of appointing an exisiting UAH staffer (like is done at most schools when a president leaves)? Why else does he push through his choices for AD and new president?

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                          It seems that cutting the hockey program just one element in portera's larger agenda to undercut UAH and Huntsville to benefit the main campus and Tuscaloosa:

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/10/..._tuscaloo.html

This lends credibility to claims that his mind was made up long ago. Why else would he assign himself interim president in lieu of appointing an exisiting UAH staffer (like is done at most schools when a president leaves)? Why else does he push through his choices for AD and new president?
                          It all smells like a screw job to me. I would think you UAH guys would all be wise to get a hold of the governor and perhaps anybody else in the state who went to Auburn, and see how much of a stink you can raise with this. Maybe ya get lucky and be able to create enough of a mess that they have to reverse the cancellation of the D1 program. As long as they're still skating, this year, you got something to use to keep em together.
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            Who hates Portera?
                            College hockey fans hate Portera!
                            Those going to Tampa this year: I'd love to hear anti-Portera chants and see tons of support for UAH in the stands. Make a scene on ESPN2.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Those going to Tampa this year: I'd love to hear anti-Portera chants and see tons of support for UAH in the stands. Make a scene on ESPN2.
                              That task should be placed on the fans of the programs who didn't make it to the final game. And those that wanna join in on the fun as well.
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Re: Speaking of leadership

New Sig...
                                Doug
                                UAH 1974
                                Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                                Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                                Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                                Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                                Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X