Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH 2011-2012 - The Farewell Tour Kicks Off Tomorrow

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
    I want to know where that coward Brophy is, why he hasn't addressed the media and why he hasn't addressed the students that the he has, through his depraved indifference, effectively kicked out of school.

His loyalty lies with those above him, to the detriment of those below, and those are not the characteristics of a leader. The University of Alabama in Huntsville made a grave mistake in choosing him as athletic director.
    Wow. Of all the crappy things about this news, this may be the crappiest. How in the world can the AD not be the face of this? If he is ducking, he is a coward. If he was instructed to duck and went along with that, he is a coward. His first job once the decision was made should have been to meet with the players to lay everything on the line and give them a chance to ask the first questions, and at the very least make sure they were all aware of their options. Then his name should have been on any release, and ideally he should have been a statement in person.

Even though it wasn't his decision, AD Corrigan at Notre Dame was the face of it in South Bend. The decision was made by Fathers Ned and Ted (Joyce and Hesburgh), but the statements to the press bore Corrigan's name and he was the one answering questions at the presser. As soon as word began to circulate about the situation after Father Joyce made a statement to one parent, Corrigan met with the players to confirm. Everything official came from Corrigan. If his name would have been on the building the team continued to play in until last week, I'd have been happy to walk into the place.

This has dredged up some awful memories. Reading the article describing Nathan Bowen's frustrations I'm reminded of the words of the Notre Dame parent who was sort of a spokesperson amongst the parents. Bowen's statement "the number $1.5 million keeps getting thrown out there, yet no one seems to know what that number entails." mirrors almost word for word something that Notre Dame parent said at the time. People weren't being given all the information, details were changing, and we were all left to wonder was there more to the story or was it simply counting beans. Was it Title IX issues, was it lack of student support, was it a souring on the coach? It has mostly been forgiven, but it took years, even years beyond the return to the CCHA.

Comment

Seriously, I hope the members of the UAH hockey team stands at center ice before next Friday's Ohio State game, rip the letters off the front of their jerseys and leave them there. Play in blank sweaters the rest of the year, because your administration...your school...doesn't care about you anymore.
      The UAH/OSU games are actually November 4-5. But I realize you guys have a bye next weekend, and the Buckeyes are therefore the Chargers' next opponent.

I'm proud that OSU was one of the schools that stepped up and agreed to a series in Huntsville. Kudos to the other schools that did the same. It's very sad and regrettable that it turned out to be too little, too late.

Like the others who've posted, Portera's announcement leaves me angry, frustrated and sorrowed.

Comment

I want to know where that coward Brophy is, why he hasn't addressed the media and why he hasn't addressed the students that the he has, through his depraved indifference, effectively kicked out of school.

His loyalty lies with those above him, to the detriment of those below, and those are not the characteristics of a leader. The University of Alabama in Huntsville made a grave mistake in choosing him as athletic director.
        Mike, you know where he was ... busy picking up his "yes man" paycheck and depositing at the bank.

Guys, I am really sorry to see this happen. UAH had a good program with a loyal contingent that deserved better ... much better.
        GO PURPS!
        Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Bad news for NCAA. There has been a lot of that this year. Greed and TV two years ago put UAH on lifesupport as the CCHA (and to a lesser degree the WCHA) saw no value in UAH. The blame starts at the administration, but it certainly should not end there. All of us in the college hockey community can look to our own schools, our own programs (at least those in the West).

Now I don't want to lose sight of the facts: Every program that has died in the past few years failed because of a lack of institutional supprt. With UAH, however, there was more working behind the scenes. The current college hockey family, which has suddenly adopted a "take whatever you can get and screw all of you" attitude, bears at least 1/2 the blame.

Wayne State was led by an AD who was passionate about hockey and dedicated to bringing D-I hockey to WSU. There was a promise from Compuware to build an on campus stadium. Then the AD left Wayne, Compuware went into a funk (early 2000's), and Wayne whithered on the vine. They had a decent stadium set-up, albeit on the edge of nowhere, in Fraser. Then they moved to Compuware's OHL Whaler's stadium, which didn't work well. Then they settled into the empty fairgrounds, which the Illich family and Little Caesars Pizza had renovated. They tried to get into the CCHA, but the powers that be made sure that didn't happen. But there was no passion for the program from the top. There was no effort, evetually no stadium, and no funding. The athletics department were openly hostile to the concept of hockey. Without a strong leadership and commitment, Wayne hockey died.

Findley was a small school with a small rink. But the problem was, at the time, a passionate hatred of hockey by the local (seriously) small town press, who hated hockey's place in the community above high school sports. And these bitter boys killed the program because the Administration at UF wasn't willing to put up with the pressure from the hockey-hating towns people.

UIC died when the long-term AD left, and the new AD came in and declared that "basketball was going to be UIC premier sport." And within two months killed the program -- with the loving nod of the administration.

Kent died after only a few years. I don't recall all the facts, but i think its safe to assume that Kent's athletics department -- which has never been too sharp -- just didn't care. There was a flurry of interest when the program formed, but then no funding, no support, and finally no team.

I don't know any of the facts surrounding Iona and Fairfield. I bet if you look deeply, you'll see a serious lack of leadership.

And now UAH.

UAH was probably the best situated out of all of the above, except perhaps UIC.

UAH has a good building, a nice city.

Sad.

They should have been in the CCHA two years ago. Instead, the CCHA leadership (of whom I have long passionately hated) wanted to play patty-cake with the Big Ten Network and the pipe-dream of Penn State hockey. Lets be totally honest -- the big ten hacks who ran the CCHA into the ground were more excited about penn state hcokey than UAH. And that is why UAH isn't in a league. That is why UAH is dying today.

Comment

I was really pulling for UAH to find a conference home. I hope that maybe in a few years when the US economy turns around, a sudden increase in ear-marked funding from the community and alumini can bump the program back to D-I status. For now, there is only the time honored tradition of hockey players everywhere to fill the void of silence left by the departure of the Chargers. Sticks on the ice for UAH - you will be missed.
            *tap*tap*tap*tap*tap*

Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Speaking of leadership

Paul Brand just rolled over in his grave after watching mercenaries destroy what he worked so hard to construct.

Comment

This has to be difficult beyond belief for the coaches, players, fans and alumni of UAH; as a fan of college hockey it's difficult enough for me. I feel for those affected. It's a distressing development in what has been a difficult year. I wish all associated with the program the very best.

I have to say that the blame lies squarely with the administration, not with anyone else in college hockey. In light of all of the upcoming conference changes how can anyone expect any conference to reach out to UAH knowing that the school was not behind their own program?

Comment

Sorry for you loss.
                  Rinks Visited
                  DCU Center
                  Tulley Forum
                  TD Garden
                  Tsongas Arena
                  J. Thom Lawler Arena
                  Conte Forum
                  Whittemore Center
                  Agganis Arena
                  Verizon Center
                  Gutterson Fieldhouse
                  Matthews Arena
                  Thompson Arena
                  Mullins Center
                  Alfond Arena
                  Schneider Arena
                  Magness Arena
                  Ingallas Arena
                  Hart Center
                  Prudential Center
                  TD Bank Sports Center
                  John A Ryan
                  Lynah Rink
                  Appleton Arena
                  Cheel Arena
                  Germain Arena
                  XL Center
                  Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Portera greatly misrepresents the facts. With the exception of the Alaska schools, no one in the new WCHA even remotely comes close to a budget of $1.5 MILLION. Half that would be on the high end of the spectrum. Even adding a travel subsidy of $15,000 to buy plane tickets for each of 7 trips by conference opponents adds just over $100,000 to the average budget. It's obvious that Portera was given the mandate from Tuscaloosa to drop the guillotine on the hockey program to insulate the incoming President from blame.

Having lived and worked in the hockey industry in Alabama, and seen the support there is for the sport, I can only say this is a true sports tragedy. IF only they had been given a fighting chance and had someone in the program that knew how to market sports and hockey in particular.

Maybe they're shipping some of that money to UAB for their new football stadium near the campus.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 10-25-2011, 10:22 PM.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Speaking of leadership

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                      Paul Brand just rolled over in his grave after watching mercenaries destroy what he worked so hard to construct.
                      Not to mention Jim Harris.
                      Michael Napier - UAH '97
                      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        It's obvious that Portera was given the mandate from Tuscaloosa to drop the guillotine on the hockey program to insulate the incoming President from blame.
                        The only mandate was self-imposed. Portera is the chancellor of the UA System, he is over all three campuses: Tuscaloosa, Birmingham and Huntsville.
                        UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                        2006 Time Person of the Year
                        Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                        It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

I bought a UAH 1979-2012 shirt yesterday. Hopefully you guys sell 100,000 of those and use that $ to start back up the program.

Comment

At least now I don't have to hear fans of other teams complain about that super-hard trip to Huntsville, Alabama that the Chargers make each and every week of the season and, until the last few years, maintained a modicum of success on the ice in the process.
                            Hell, how hard is it really to travel from Huntsville from say the Twin Cities or Detroit as it would compare to Colorado or Alaska?? Hell, you can drive to Huntsville if you wanted to.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Back in the day when Penn had it's plug pulled, the players took the ice with a strip of white material over the PENN.
                            Heck, its Alabama. They should use duct tape.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                              I bought a UAH 1979-2012 shirt yesterday. Hopefully you guys sell 100,000 of those and use that $ to start back up the program.
                              Where did you get it from?
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                Where did you get it from?
                                http://saveuahhockey.spreadshirt.com/
                                UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                                2006 Time Person of the Year
                                Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                                It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Working...
                                X