PDA

View Full Version : Someone hand me a compass! MI Directional School Battle, Pt 1: NMU @ WMU 10/28-29

Pages : [1] 2 3

nmupiccdiva
10-23-2011, 04:53 PM
This weekend finds Northern Michigan heading south and east to take on Western Michigan.
The 'Cats are coming off a split with Meeechigan, winning on Friday and losing in the shoot out on Saturday night. The Broncos return home from the last frontier, earning a 4-1 win Friday and a 4 round shoot out victory on Saturday over Alaska.
The last time these two teams met, Western swept the visiting Wildcats in lopsided 5-2 and 6-1 victories.

Here we go--discuss!

manurespreader
10-23-2011, 06:53 PM
The premier match up of the upcoming weekend imho. Will be a real test for both teams.

NMUFAN
10-24-2011, 05:42 PM
#14 at #7. Can the Cats compete in a hostile environment? They played well in Madison but now play an unbeaten team who's riding a little momentum.

Should be a good series.

bronconick
10-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Well the "contending" football team has crapped the bed impressively in the two weeks that the Broncos were traveling, so I'm hoping some of the interest shifts to a program with actual success recently.

NMUFAN21
10-24-2011, 10:23 PM
I think both games will be right down to the buzzer. My best guess is a split, Go Cats!

NMUFAN
10-24-2011, 10:38 PM
I think both games will be right down to the buzzer. My best guess is a split, Go Cats!

Personally, I'd be happy with a split.

NMU8405
10-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Does Western offer a B2 feed?

Wildpantswilly
10-25-2011, 01:49 AM
I don't know about the rest of the NMU fans on hear, but I'm just happy I don't have to hear any more whining from the rodent fans until February.

I would be happy with a split this weekend, and I think that is the most likely result. A sweep either way would say a lot about both teams.

JF_Gophers
10-25-2011, 07:42 AM
3 ties against crappy teams gets you a top 10 ranking? huh.

Go Old WCHA Team!

davyd83
10-25-2011, 08:30 AM
3 ties against crappy teams gets you a top 10 ranking? huh.

Go Old WCHA Team!

Since when has Fairbanks been a "crappy team?" I'd consider a win and a tie at Fairbanks a pretty good accomplishment for any team. Didn't Union win 26 games a year ago and don't they currently sit at #11?

JF_Gophers
10-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Since when has Fairbanks been a "crappy team?" I'd consider a win and a tie at Fairbanks a pretty good accomplishment for any team. Didn't Union win 26 games a year ago and don't they currently sit at #11?Fairbanks has been crappy since oh... always, and as I recall Union plays in the ECAC. So 26 wins is more like 10 real ones.

Save your breath bringing up that they beat MN last year in OT. MN has been mediocre at best for 3+ years.

RaceBoarder
10-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Splitsies this weekend I believe... Should be a good test being our first trip below the bridge this year...

bigblue_dl
10-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Since when has Fairbanks been a "crappy team?" I'd consider a win and a tie at Fairbanks a pretty good accomplishment for any team. Didn't Union win 26 games a year ago and don't they currently sit at #11?Ha! "Union" and "26" collide again!

MeridianStreet
10-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Since when has Fairbanks been a "crappy team?" I'd consider a win and a tie at Fairbanks a pretty good accomplishment for any team. Didn't Union win 26 games a year ago and don't they currently sit at #11?

Davyd,

Any team in the CCHA, or even the country would be happy with a win and a tie in Fairbanks.

davyd83
10-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Davyd,

Any team in the CCHA, or even the country would be happy with a win and a tie in Fairbanks.

I'll take a win and a tie anywhere on the road in the CCHA!

nmupiccdiva
10-25-2011, 08:41 PM

Ha! "Union" and "26" collide again!

"Who Hates Union?"
"What is Union?"
"#26!"

And, I reiterate one more time, for good measure: NMU. Needs. To. Stay. Out. Of. The. Fraking. Penalty. Box.

RamboWildcat
10-25-2011, 08:46 PM
This weekend finds Northern Michigan heading south and east to take on Western Michigan.
The 'Cats are coming off a split with Meeechigan, winning on Friday and losing in the shoot out on Saturday night. The Broncos return home from the last frontier, earning a 4-1 win Friday and a 4 round shoot out victory on Saturday over Alaska.
The last time these two teams met, Western swept the visiting Wildcats in lopsided 5-2 and 6-1 victories.

Here we go--discuss!

First of all, it was NOT a split. NMU won on Friday and TIED on Saturday, and since the corrupt CCHA instituted rinky dink ties, U of M did get the additional point for the shootout. But overall, NMU is 4-1-1.

Second, I have gained a lot of respect for Western. They have turned things around and deserve a lot of credit. They used to be very, very average. They have a great coach now too. This should be a very tough series for NMU to gain a point.

nmupiccdiva
10-25-2011, 08:51 PM
First of all, it was NOT a split. NMU won on Friday and TIED on Saturday, and since the corrupt CCHA instituted rinky dink ties, U of M did get the additional point for the shootout. But overall, NMU is 4-1-1.

Second, I have gained a lot of respect for Western. They have turned things around and deserve a lot of credit. They used to be very, very average. They have a great coach now too. This should be a very tough series for NMU to gain a point.

I know that, you know that, everyone knows that. However, these are two current CCHA teams. In the eyes of the current CCHA, this was a split. That will be what comes in to play first, those statistics, those points, that ranking, before we even start considering PairWise/RPI/other rankings. Also, I couldn't discount our shoot out without discounting Western's. You know what? I like Western--they and tUMD are the NaCHo bound schools I don't want to see crumble and completely fail this year. I had to call a spade a spade.

nmu_27
10-25-2011, 09:40 PM
First trip to Western coming up for me this weekend. We'll have a group of 6, should be a fun time.

bronconick
10-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Rambo: Being called average after about 2004 is being very, very kind to Western.

Very curious about this weekend. Not sure what we have in K-zoo this year yet. UAH's program's been savaged even before this year to the point that that didn't show me much. They had one third period shot on the weekend. Two ties at Union is fine with me all things considered and Alaska was a split on paper that our freshman goalie played excellent to get us a tie/SOW Saturday to take 5 of 6. Slubowski's played 2 of 3 Saturday's so far. Not sure if Murray plans to platoon them, whether he's giving him a chance to supplant Pisellini, or he's just planning on giving him a dozen or so games all season.

You guys sound good enough this year to take Miami's top 3 spot while they figure out whatever it is they're doing down there without their senior goalscorers from last year.