No announcement yet.

Colorado College @ RPI (10/28 & 10/29)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado College @ RPI (10/28 & 10/29)

Colorado College returns last year's visit.

I wonder if Ken Ralph remembers where the HFH is.

I wonder if I remember where it is!
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: Colorado College @ RPI (10/28 & 10/29)

I wonder if I remember where it is, its been almost 3 weeks since I was last there. This will be a fun chance to see CC in Troy.
    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

CC is a heck of a team. We will have to figure out what was wrong tonight fast-if we play like this next week they will need a calculator for the score. Very poor defensive showing against ND. Our big defense was just plain out muscled and out skated. And we better develop a forecheck soon.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

EDIT: Sorry for the stream of consciousness nature of this post. I'll use the excuse that I should have been asleep a few hours ago.

My most significant concern for CC is that they will have only played 2 games that count to RPI's 5. I think all of RPI's games will have been on an NHL sheet, while these will be CC's first on the NHL sheet.

Other than those concerns, I think CC should have an edge this series. This is essentially the same team that was playing some pretty good hockey at the end of last season. Even with the graduation of a very solid defenseman in Ryan Lowery, I think the Tigers' defense has improved. Two freshmen (Harstad and Stoykewych) have both looked solid so far, and seem to have beaten out returning upperlassmen for playing time. At forward I also think the Tigers are better than they were last season, again despite two significant losses. Last year's team was very young, and as a group they look well ahead of where they were at this point last season.

I think everyone knows to keep an eye on #8, Jaden Schwartz. As a freshman he was 2nd in the nation in points per game behind Miele. CC has had some great forwards in the past, including two Hobey Baker winners in Peter Sejna and Marty Sertich and quite a few others who made the final 10 and Hobey Hat Trick. Jaden has a hockey IQ that dwarfs any player I've ever seen at CC. If this is your first time watching Jaden, I don't think you'll be blown away by his speed, agility, shot, or any other specific skill. He just seems to see the ice - passing lanes in particular - that other players just don't see. He did lose the puck off his stick a surprising amount last weekend, but I don't remember that from last year so I hope it was a temporary thing. If I could make one criticism of his game it's that he tends to pass up good scoring chances to try to set up easy tap-ins for his linemates. He seems to look for his brother a lot and tries to deliver the puck to him even when he has a good scoring chance.
        The other significant strength I think CC has this year is depth at forward. They can put 12 forwards on the ice who made significant contributions last season, although I wouldn't be surprised to see one or maybe two freshmen forwards in the lineup. The Tigers have a reputation as a small, skilled team that struggles on NHL rinks. I think that's slowly changing, but they certainly won't intimidate many teams with their size. One of the toughest guys to knock off the puck is Scott Winkler. He has been playing on the top line with the Schwartz brothers. If you look at his stats from his first two years at CC, you might be surprised to see him on that line. His numbers those years were impacted by injuries each season, and he compliments the Schwartz brothers extremely well. The other three lines are also very solid. The 4th line last Saturday night had one freshman and returning players who had 5-6-11 and 9-9-18 scoring lines last season. I think that some of the third/fourth line guys could be 20-30 point per season players if they had the opportunity to play on the PP. Coach Owens generally cycles through his lines 1-4, and I don't notice him trying to do too much matching up except in certain situations. Dineen will come out to take defensive zone faceoffs at critical points in the game, but generally Owens rolls his lines.

If CC can adjust to the tempo of the game after spending most of the season so far just practicing, then I think they'll be in a good position to earn two wins. But I do worry that they may struggle to adjust to the NHL sheet and could find themselves in a significant hole early, particularly on Friday.

Comment

Bumping up.

Comment

I'll be watching both games on my computer, and hoping the video quality will be decent.

I wonder if any/many CC alums from back east will attend these games? At least one family of five will be at both games wearing CC clothing and cheering for the Tigers.

Agree with Rich, playing on NHL size ice could pose early problems for CC. This CC team is much bigger than years past, Rich mentioned Scott Winkler, he stands 6'3" and brings a wide body to the Schwartz line. In addition, CC has several other players who stand 6'2", 6'3", or 6'4".
            World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Any news about if either Higgs or Laliberte will be back? I gather that O'Grady is a definite scratch.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
                I'll be watching both games on my computer, and hoping the video quality will be decent.
                Not being sure how good the stream that you are used to is, I will say that RPI-TV puts out a great product, but after America One gets through with processing it a lot of resolution is lost. RPI-TV will at some point archive the game, and the original stream will be available.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

For any CC fans that are interested, feel free to join in on the RPI Pick to Click. It's pretty simple (and the rules are explained on the first post of the thread), just pick an RPI and a CC player for each game of the upcoming series.

Have fun and good luck this weekend.
                  Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, Ralph!

All RPI home games are covered by RPI TV, RPI's student-run volunteer television club. Our broadcasts feature upwards of six cameras, replays, graphics, and commentary by campus radio station WRPI. Our broadcast is (unfortunately) streamed via pay-per-view provider America One (link here). The quality of the actual stream is questionable, and the price is a bit steep, but if you want to see it live it's currently the only way. All our games are then uploaded to rpitv.org where they can be viewed for eternity entirely free and at maximum quality.

As a programming note, we have been cleared to freely live stream the Multiviewer with intercom chatter for the Saturday game only. Feel free to take a look at that, but it can be a bit disorienting and will not include WRPI audio. You could logically stream from wrpi.org as well, but I doubt it'll sync well. The normal broadcast WITH synced WRPI commentary will still be streamed through America One at the usual price. The multiviewer broadcast will serve as a pseudo-test of our live HD live distribution scheme. If the number of America One purchasers remains fairly constant from Friday to Saturday, we'll be able to stream the multiviewer more in the future. This puts us in a bit of a weird spot promotion wise. Do we promote the multiviewer and lose the ability to stream it again? Well, I'm posting this, so my decision has been made known.

I'm pretty sure there's a revamp to the scoreboard in place (so it's actually readable on the stream), and I'm going to see if I can figure out a better solution than letterboxing on America One (we may center-crop or do a 14:9 letterbox/crop) so that the resolution remains decent. I'm dissatisfied that America One viewers get an even _smaller_ piece of video when we broadcast in HD. That's not the way "HD" is supposed to work, but we don't have many options when it comes to America One.

As always, if there's something wrong with our broadcast, please email sports@rpitv.org and we'll try and clear it up ASAP. I also try to read the game threads during intermission, so there's a chance that comments there can be responded to and problems fixed. However, our productions are often extremely hectic (you'll get a taste if you listen in to our intercom Saturday), so I may not be able to respond quickly.
                    RPI Class of 2012
                    Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

If you want decent video quality, you should wait until after the fact, when RPI-TV posts on their website.

BTW, RHamilton, I know you piloted this in the playoffs, but for the benefit of the visiting fans, will you be syncing in their radio feed?

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
                        Our broadcast is (unfortunately) streamed via pay-per-view provider America One (link here).
                        Thanks. When I clicked the link, I noticed that currently there are only options for season passes and not for single games. I assume that when game time approaches, the single game option will become available.

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
                          If the number of America One purchasers remains fairly constant from Friday to Saturday, we'll be able to stream the multiviewer more in the future. This puts us in a bit of a weird spot promotion wise. Do we promote the multiviewer and lose the ability to stream it again? Well, I'm posting this, so my decision has been made known.
                          And if the number of AO purchasers drops significantly from Friday to Saturday, you can use that to help prove your case that people want something higher quality than AO can offer, *and* that RPI TV is capable of offering it.

Comment

I'll bite, so RPI fans, what is HFH?
                            World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

I'll bite, so RPI fans, what is HFH?
                              The Houston Field House. It's our arena.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                              X