X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Hockey 2011-2012

Originally posted by Tooth Squid View Post
    Taking 9 out of 12 points from Miami... that is great good job boys ...
    TNA
    That is great! If you would have told me they would have taken 3 out of 4 games from Miami I would have told you, your crazy.
    Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      It's great that they are in 3rd place at this point in the season, but let's not get carried away about it. There are 6 teams within 3 points of them; 3 of those teams (ND, Ferris, and MSU) have 2 games in hand on the Lakers, and Michigan has 1 game in hand (equalizer later this afternoon). I'll judge this season by what they've accomplished when it's over, not by where they are now. I get the feeling they are just hanging on in the standings. I think they will drop at least several places in the final CCHA standings if they don't learn to win on Friday nights. That's an obstacle they have got to overcome. There will be teams passing them if they continue to do no better than split each weekend. They especially have to do a better job of protecting home ice. I think the overall talent on this team is better than they've had in many years but they still need to show us they can finish well.
      On the road (@NMU, @MSU, @Alaska), I'd be happy with splits. Hosting the #1 and #2 teams in the conference (WMU, Ohio State), I'd be happy with splits. If the Lakers finished 5-5 in the final 10 CCHA games, that's a pretty solid season and probably a 1st round bye in the conference tournament.

Comment

I believe its long past due time that we got to be excited about our team. I agree with Bill's insights -- e.g., they haven't won anything yet, they struggle to score goals, they struggle oddly on Friday nights. However, I am willing to get blindly excited. I know the team is mostly playing .500 hockey. But week after week after week this team has a chance to fold -- mostly because of the Friday struggles. And week after week this team pulls out a gut-check win.

The only weekend they have disappointed was at OSU. Otherwise, they have gutted out splits or quasi-splits at Ferris, at Ann Arbor, and a sweep of Miami. That kind of hard work, winning on Saturday nights on the road, is very hard. It requires tremendous nerve and some guts. And this team has guts.

At home, they split with a very good Miami team (the games against LSSU are responsible for Miami lagging in the standings). They swept MSU. And they earned tough splits against NMU and Notre Dame.

Yes, there are some down weekends: the split against BGSU hurts. And they should have rolled up Bemidji. The random odd tie against Canisius and the horrible lackluster loss to RIT also grate.

But at every turn, I think we in Laker Land have become so accustomed to the bottom falling out -- even during modest seasons -- that we all seem to be waiting, expecting. And the Lakers are giving opportunities for those bad feelings to fester. Who here went into Saturday night against Michigan and expected the ugly sweep? Who here expected the Lakers to fight back against Miami this weekend? Who here expected Ferris to sweep 'em up on the road?

Frankly, they almost darn near pulled off a split with OSU on the Saturday night game.

Now, do they need to prove it every weekend? Yes.
        Do they need to win in the playoffs for the year to be considered a success? Yes.

But those expectations are no different from those carried by Duluth, or Wisconsin, or Boston College. Success in the playoffs will ultimately determine the success of the season.

What I LIKE about this team is the guts. I also like the fact that the team is being led by underclassmen -- there are only two seniors contributing heavy minutes. This tells me that perhaps the talent level is matching the work ethic. Perhaps we have a class of young players who are putting it all together, and that this season will not be a fluke -- but instead the start of something fun.

So I am willing to get caught up in the fun. I am willing to believe a sweep in Lansing can happen. I am wiling to beleive that despite the narrow points-gap in the standings, the Lakers will earn a bye and home ice.

And I will go a step further: With this goaltending, work ethic, and defensive mindset of this team: they can make noise at the Joe and maybe steal some NCAA action.

Comment

As an aside, MSU is just above the Lakers in the PWR -- LSSU is at 18th, MSU at 15th. A sweep at the Munn Morgue would be a nice step toward securing an NCAA spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
            As an aside, MSU is just above the Lakers in the PWR -- LSSU is at 18th, MSU at 15th. A sweep at the Munn Morgue would be a nice step toward securing an NCAA spot.
            It certainly would help. Their last Friday night win and their last sweep were in late October at Miami, so you could say they are overdue.

Comment

I realize I did not graduate from Lake State with a mathematics degree but at times I seriously wonder about some of the workings of the "fuzzy math" that is used to choose the NCAA field. In College Hockey Weekly's bracketology blog that is found in the NCAA bracketology thread not only is Northern Michigan in the tournament field but inexplicably they are a number 2 seed....This is the same team that has 5 wins over ranked teams compared to Lake State's 6...Lake State also has as many road wins against ranked teams (2) as Northern Michigan has on the road period... Northern Michigan has a losing record in their conference and is 2-7-1 on the road...what about that is so impressive that they would be a number 2 seed???

I understand they may make the point that they have had a tougher schedule up to this point but apparently moral victories count for more these days than I realized...I would like to finish by pointing out that Lake State is not the only team that is getting the shaft in this equation in favor of NMU but since they are my favorite team I decided to delve into the statistical comparisons between those two schools.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
                I realize I did not graduate from Lake State with a mathematics degree but at times I seriously wonder about some of the workings of the "fuzzy math" that is used to choose the NCAA field. In College Hockey Weekly's bracketology blog that is found in the NCAA bracketology thread not only is Northern Michigan in the tournament field but inexplicably they are a number 2 seed....This is the same team that has 5 wins over ranked teams compared to Lake State's 6...Lake State also has as many road wins against ranked teams (2) as Northern Michigan has on the road period... Northern Michigan has a losing record in their conference and is 2-7-1 on the road...what about that is so impressive that they would be a number 2 seed???

I understand they may make the point that they have had a tougher schedule up to this point but apparently moral victories count for more these days than I realized...I would like to finish by pointing out that Lake State is not the only team that is getting the shaft in this equation in favor of NMU but since they are my favorite team I decided to delve into the statistical comparisons between those two schools.
                I'm a Northern grad and fan, and I agree with you--the polls, PWR, and bracketology don't make sense sometimes. NMU has had kind of an up and down season, but have sort of kept themselves in the hunt because of SOS. They still have a tough schedule ahead of them: 7 road games and only 4 home games. I suspect LSSU has a competitive schedule as well.

I don't think there is that much difference between NMU and LSSU or the rest of the CCHA and only the next couple of months of regular season and playoff games will settle it all. Right now I don't pay much attention to any of the polls, rankings, or bracketologies. Wait until March. I try to just sit back and enjoy the hockey.

LSSU follows NMU playing MSU this weekend. Northern tied 5-5 (SOL) and lost 2-1 to MSU. I was at the Saturday game and it could have gone either way, but NMU got into penalty trouble in the third period and Sparty held on for the win. I suspect the Lakers will have a tough series with Sparty. In the Pick-em thread I chose a split, with LSSU getting their usual Saturday night victory.

LSSU @ NMU 2/24-25.

Edit: Just as an after thought, I thinks it's best for LSSU and NMU to fly under the radar for the time being rather than having a high ranking target on the back of their jersey.
                Last edited by aygwm2; 01-16-2012, 09:23 PM.
                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                  I'm a Northern grad and fan, and I agree with you--the polls, PWR, and bracketology don't make sense sometimes. NMU has had kind of an up and down season, but have sort of kept themselves in the hunt because of SOS. They still have a tough schedule ahead of them: 7 road games and only 4 home games. I suspect LSSU has a competitive schedule as well.

I don't think there is that much difference between NMU and LSSU or the rest of the CCHA and only the next couple of months of regular season and playoff games will settle it all. Right now I don't pay much attention to any of the polls, rankings, or bracketologies. Wait until March. I try to just sit back and enjoy the hockey.

LSSU follows NMU playing MSU this weekend. Northern tied 5-5 (SOL) and lost 2-1 to MSU. I was at the Saturday game and it could have gone either way, but NMU got into penalty trouble in the third period and Sparty held on for the win. I suspect the Lakers will have a tough series with Sparty. In the Pick-em thread I chose a split, with LSSU getting their usual Saturday night victory.

LSSU @ NMU 2/24-25.

Edit: Just as an after thought, I thinks it's best for LSSU and NMU to fly under the radar for the time being rather than having a high ranking target on the back of their jersey.
                  I watched that Saturday night game on television and I agree it could have gone either way, I was really pulling for NMU to win actually (I am in the interesting dilemma of being an avid LSSU fan and graduate yet one of my best friends is a prominent player for NMU)..and I think you are right that it probably is best for the U.P. schools to lay low for as long as possible rankings-wise...all in all I think college hockey is a lot better off when some smaller institutions like LSSU and NMU are relevant on a national level...it's what separates NCAA hockey from the other major NCAA sports in my opinion.

Comment

A pig always squeels when you twist its ear.

Comment

A pig always squeels when you twist its ear.
                      Honestly, I think it's time that the little pig is finally gutted since he is far past his expiration date.

Comment

The pig that parrots the same thing over and over and over and then says "you people are so predictable."

Comment

Doof Squad says "you people" like it's a bad thing. I'd much rather be one of "you people" than one of "his people".

Comment

Big series tonight. On TV.

Really looking forward to these two games. I think the Lakers match upbetter against MSU, which tends to be slower and more defense oriented. That plays right into LSSU's hands. I am predicting a happy, lovely, I-Hate-The-Big-Ten sweep, 3-2, 3-2.

The Lakers are sitting high in the standings, but the floor is shifting -- and there is little difference between where the Lakers sit presently, and seventh place. Likewise with the PWR. A sweep of MSU in Lansing will give them a massive shot in the arm in the PWR. A split will allow them to hold position, maybe inch up a fraction.

And by the way -- I could not be happier discussing the PWR and the Lakers in the same post, and being serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad
                              You people up there have absolutely no shame. You constantly ridicule the coach that built your program from basically nothing, into a national powerhouse, winning or responsible for three NCAA championships, your little college even known, more students and players coming into your little town because of him. You make excuses after excuses for the current coach and his 6 1/2 year less than stellar record, off ice embarassments, dwindling attendence, and all star hard working players cut or off the team for no reason. I know there will be more excuses and ridicule because of this, but have come to expect it with you people. You people are so predictible.

The Truth Is Out There.....
                              TBA
                              Why would we have shame????? We are the Number 4 team in the CCHA 19 in the Nation.... PK is #3 in the Nation... SHAME????? NOPE Pride GO LAKERS!!!! 3 national Championships????? I know of the one in 88 when did the other two happen???? It takes 6 1/2 years to rebuild what Frank did to the program in his 2nd go round... Got to get the Sellers Kid out of LSSU.... What off Ice Embarassments are you refering to? Please be specific.... I would love to know details so I can get a feel for what your are talking about.... Dwindling Attendence ... I agree 1900 on a Friday SUCKS Come on SSM and LSSU Get out there and watch this great team play. All Star??? Hard Working???? PLEASE!!!! Lazy .... Scared to go in the corner... That is more like it.

The Tooth is out There
                              TNA
                              TNA
                              THE TOOTH WILL SET YOU FREE
                              TNA
                              TNA

Comment

... MSU, which tends to be slower and more defense oriented.
                                Just so you know (and you can pass this along to your friends), Rick Comley no longer coaches here

Comment

Working...
                                X