X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Hockey 2011-2012

!!!
    Sorry about that.
    I was sharing my own small and partial experience, not about about a person, but about a practice.
    I didn't mean to cause bickering about someone who certainly doesn't deserve it.
    I am not even a truly involved hockey fan and not as knowledgeable as most of you. I am just being curious about how things work out for all Lakers teams.
    The other teams don't have national ambitions ... or dreams, and much less at stake.

From talking to many coaches I gather that team spirit implies loyalty and respect, and you have to walk the talk.
    Listening and reading a bit about the performances over the last 5 years, I thought it made sense to consider that the coaching is ineffective.

I was probably wrong as you are having a tremendous season right now and cheering for the coach of the year, and Div.1 hockey is no doubt very different from minor team sports.

Comment

Originally posted by soofan View Post
      I was probably wrong as you are having a tremendous season right now and cheering for the coach of the year, and Div.1 hockey is no doubt very different from minor team sports.
      You got that right we are. Hey Theresa Truth Squad Sellers? Sm2pk? when are you going to join the party and become true Laker and Jim Roque fans?

Comment

Cool down gents, this is getting a bit too much gossip.

Interesting to see how some people have so much crap to say about someone's attitude and talent while admitting that they don't know. I know this a fans forum, but here is some uplifting read.
        "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt". Abraham Lincoln.

If those who don't think like Flem of the North or Lakerblue are bloody idiots, Abraham Lincoln is one of us.
        "I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true.
        I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have.
        I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong."

The good news is that respecting values brings success and reputation.

If your boss screws your colleague, you won't care; but how long will you trust your boss ?
        If you don't trust your boss, how far are you ready to go for him ?

When lakerblue was still dreaming about a bright future, rude, sly and opportunist coaches had a chance to make it. Some could even be successful. Not anymore, many things have changed (not only ).

Nowadays, young educated coaches make it to the NHL in a few years outclassing the old school because human skills outweigh basic hockey knowledge (or indeed alumni status), and authority is achieved through credibility and leadership rather that fear and manipulation.

Taking care of each player does not mean baby-sitting but setting individual goals, explaining, building self confidence and helping development ... and cutting (only) if the player does not contribute.
        Practices must be creative and adjusted to the needs.
        Communicate, teach and grow, cannot be replaced by manipulate, cheat and cut. One good season in a long career won't prove it wrong.

lakerblue is right : Some just can't adjust. What applies to players also applies to coaches.
        Last edited by backbencher; 01-05-2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

My point: If you want to dislike Coach Jim Roque, go ahead. Complain about his strategy. Complain about his inability to coax more goals from his offense. Complain about his W-L record.

If you have an ax to grind against the coach -- my point is this: Playing time for a third string goalie is not the hill you want to attack.

Personally, I am neither a Roque-hater nor a Roque cheerleader. I want LSSU to win, every game, every season. The first and only time I found myself deeply disliking a head coach was Scott Borek, who I felt was over his head. I don't feel Coach Roque is over his head. And if his coaching style is to play the best palyers on his roster, every game, and try to squeeze wins from every game, no matter the time nor place nor opponent, I am personally fine with that. I don't beleive for one small second that the morale of the team is negatively impacted by the personal feelings of a third string goalie.

Comment

Lakers played unexpectedly well tonight, clean up a few small mental errors and we would have won

Comment

Originally posted by lakerfan133 View Post
              Lakers played unexpectedly well tonight, clean up a few small mental errors and we would have won
              You don't get any points for playing well. They are now winless in their last 8 Friday games, 7 of which have been losses including the last 5 in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                You don't get any points for playing well. They are now winless in their last 8 Friday games, 7 of which have been losses including the last 5 in a row.
                Right on Bill. The Lakers could be sitting as low 7th place tomorrow if they lose with Ferris and MSU right behind us with both having two games in hand on us. Which means the Lakers MUST win tomorrow.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

The Lakers simply don't have a killer instinct, and still have so much troulble putting the puck in the net. When the Lakers make a mistake, Michigan jumps on it and scores. When Michigan makes a mistake, the Lakers ring one off the post, or miss an empty net. I admit the effort is there, in the second and thrid periods, but they have to start playing a full 60 minute game from start to finish, or they'll simply get eaten alive this second half. Kapalka played pretty well, though he was owned on the break-away, and the third goal he gave up was a fluke, and their was a Michigan player was in the crease. This could have been a different game but they need to toughen up and get a win tonight.

Comment

Anyone get the sense that the Lakers season pivots on this game tonight? I think that this is a must win game and will set the table for the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                      Anyone get the sense that the Lakers season pivots on this game tonight? I think that this is a must win game and will set the table for the rest of the season.
                      And perhaps by extension the future of Jim Roque as head coach?

Comment

Bascially if the Lakers don't win tonight, its not gonna be a pretty second half with all the game against top tier teams

Comment

Originally posted by lakerfan133 View Post
                          That's pretty simplistic. That's like saying, if it gets cold it might snow.

Comment

Originally posted by RealLaker94 View Post
                            The Lakers simply don't have a killer instinct, and still have so much troulble putting the puck in the net. When the Lakers make a mistake, Michigan jumps on it and scores. When Michigan makes a mistake, the Lakers ring one off the post, or miss an empty net. I admit the effort is there, in the second and thrid periods, but they have to start playing a full 60 minute game from start to finish, or they'll simply get eaten alive this second half. Kapalka played pretty well, though he was owned on the break-away, and the third goal he gave up was a fluke, and their was a Michigan player was in the crease. This could have been a different game but they need to toughen up and get a win tonight.
                            That's a better analysis, except for Michigan's third goal. Brown was in the crease b/c the puck was already there. He's entitled to do that.

LSSU's best chance to take a split is if Hunwick doesn't play. He either got his bell wrung the multiple times he got piled into w/o a call, or he has a flu bug.
                            Michigan's back-up is like a cat being thrown into water. The only thing missing is the toaster being tossed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by streaker View Post
                              That's a better analysis, except for Michigan's third goal. Brown was in the crease b/c the puck was already there. He's entitled to do that.

LSSU's best chance to take a split is if Hunwick doesn't play. He either got his bell wrung the multiple times he got piled into w/o a call, or he has a flu bug.
                              Michigan's back-up is like a cat being thrown into water. The only thing missing is the toaster being tossed in.
                              I agree brown should have been called for cross checking a Laker into Hunwick.
                              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                                I agree brown should have been called for cross checking a Laker into Hunwick.
                                You mean, after he had fallen on top of Hunwick and crosschecked him in the back. It was well deserved.

Comment

Working...
                                X