This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Hockey 2011-2012

The Lakers certainly have the ability to attract large crowds now that they are winning again. They just have to convince the Canadian Sault residents to come over more often. Since it can be annoying and sometimes time-consuming to cross the bridge, make some kind of discount for them or other incentive to know that they are appreciated... something as simple as a free popcorn/drink/whatever coupon for showing your Ontario ID might work.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
      The Lakers certainly have the ability to attract large crowds now that they are winning again. They just have to convince the Canadian Sault residents to come over more often. Since it can be annoying and sometimes time-consuming to cross the bridge, make some kind of discount for them or other incentive to know that they are appreciated... something as simple as a free popcorn/drink/whatever coupon for showing your Ontario ID might work.

I like that idea, just a means of creatively attracting a well-educated hockey audience. There are 90,000 people just over the river, lets give them a reason to come over. The hockey is getting better, the stadium is nice, and now you can get a free coke with your ticket. The Lakers lost some Canadian support when the team went into the bottom-half of the league and the Greyhound's new building.

More students would help, too. When I was a student, there was no option on game night -- everyone went. The student section was always packed. We sat in line to get in, playing Eukre in groups of four sitting around in the Norris lobby (not for every game, but the big games). Winning, of course, will help. I think you'll see a positive response if the team can keep this up into January.

But the Abel Arena is a great facility. The difference between 2,500 and 3,500 person crowds is winning, not real estate.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
        Winning will help, but you are not going to get the Canadians over in droves because they have much higher quality hockey with the Greyhounds and they are a Junior Hockey town. Talking to a lot of the locals while I was up this weekend, there are still many Roque skeptics and believe this team will collapse, once again, under this coach, and could be why such poor attendance. They keep winning and all these issues and conceptions will change. They are off to a good start this year in doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by DopeyBaker View Post
          I appreciate your argument. I agree that it would be nice to have a full house. I'm not sure the fans would be any louder, though, if you packed them closer together. Also, as a season ticket holder for a long time, I would not be willing to pay more for my tickets just because the arena is smaller.
          Come on DopeyBaker, get off that wallet. Do you know who has the least expensive ticket prices in the CCHA? I'm also curious which team has the most expensive tickets. If the planets align we will get to test the hypothesis that winning = increased attendance.

There are a few very nice and knowledgable canadian fans in our section. I'd love to see more. Were there more before, and if so, I think it's great to think of ways to bring them back.

Comment

Originally posted by DB Cooper View Post
            Do you know who has the least expensive ticket prices in the CCHA? I'm also curious which team has the most expensive tickets.
            Actually an interesting question, what do you guys charge?

Miami is at $20 for reserved seats, $22 for "premium games". I bought a couple tickets at Yost for this year and believe they were $25 normal, $30 "premium".

In recent seasons I've had ~$15 at BGSU and ~$5-$10 at tOSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
              A huge win on Saturday. Huge. I don't believe in "statement" games . . but at least our Lakers didn't fold. A sweep was a rael possiblity and instead, the team really came out flying. A split at OSU would be fine with me (although I think OSU may have peeked already). This is a tough part of the schedule. Classes are coming to a close. Finals. Little injuries. Christmas coming up. And the Lakers are grinding it through. Tough games against Ferris. A poor outing against Bemidji, followed by a decent saturday to get a split. A Long bus ride to Buffalo to play in a nice, but very small, municipal ice-rink with the team fighting a ravaging bug. Home to an empty Thanksgiving campus for a brutal series against a pretty good Irish team. In this stretch the Lakers are fighting through, and coming out on top more often than not.

This is not the best team in the world, but they play as a very good team. With good goaltending, this team is putting things together.

But the Battle for First Place awaits! Another long road trip to play in another mostly-empty arena (this time the Big Ten's mighty OSU with about 3,000 tickets sold -- and probably less than that in attendance). I am quite sure the good people of Columbus and OSU have no idea there is even a hockey game scheduled this coming weekend, let alone that its a battle for First Place. Just another wonderful reason to be happy the Big Ten and their loud-but-clueless fans are moving along to play with themselves). The Boys need to gut their way through this set of games. Then they get a sort of a break against NMU (although I don't think this team is going to make any weekend easy . . . no team that relies upon defense and goaltending and opporunistic scoring will ever have easy weekends. Defense = hard, hard work). Then Finals. Then Christmas. And then a really nice set of games in lovely Vermont over the New Year.

As for the stadium . . . I think the fan base is where its at, today, because of the pretty darned BAD and darned BORING hockey they've played for the past 10-15 years. Win games, fill seats. Its a timeless equation even I (with my Laker Math Skills) can figure out.

LakerBlue, I love your consistent grudge against the self annointed "Big Time" hockey schools. I also find the arrogance of their fans, entitled players, and fat cat administrators a little on the tedious side. They easily forget the financial limitations of the smaller universities as their coddled players ascend Mount Olympus.

Comment

Then they get a sort of a break against NMU (although I don't think this team is going to make any weekend easy . . . no team that relies upon defense and goaltending and opporunistic scoring will ever have easy weekends. Defense = hard, hard work).
                There are no "breaks" in the CCHA this year. According to your wording, NMU may be the same kind of team as LSSU in some ways this year: "relies upon defense and goaltending and opportunistic scoring". Right now NMU is a good "special teams" club--halfway decent on their power play and good at the penalty kill. They've played from behind much of this year. The obvious advantage that LSSU will have 12/9-10 will be home ice. As an NMU fan, I hope it's a good, competitive series in a couple of weeks.

"Right now NMU is a good "special teams" club--halfway decent on their power play and good at the penalty kill." And that's about it--Ellingson has been OK in goal and Coreau had a good outing vs. MSU. They did tie ND both nights back on 11/4-5.
                Last edited by aygwm2; 11-28-2011, 03:53 PM.
                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

MeridianMan..........good comment about Mel Pearson. Over the years Red gave Mel more & more responsibility, and now that
                  he's at Tech, he is missed. Michigan will recover, rebound, reload, etc.... they always do.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                    MeridianMan..........good comment about Mel Pearson. Over the years Red gave Mel more & more responsibility, and now that
                    he's at Tech, he is missed. Michigan will recover, rebound, reload, etc.... they always do.
                    It might have to wait until next season:

"Michigan has a tough schedule thru Feb 11th: @ Alaska; MSU (home & home); BC and Tech or MSU; LSSU; @ OSU; @ ND; Miami; @ MSU & @ the Joe. They finish the season hosting NMU and @ BGSU."

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Personally makes my heart warm and cozy watching Michigan struggle. I have to fight the urge to celebrate by urinating on a random library, just in Red's honor. (Yes, I am aware it was almost 20 years ago . . . and no, I won't forget it).

In other, MUCH more important issues -- the Lakers are now ranked 11th! Up two spots from 13th.

This is very nice to see. A solid Top-15 team right now, and well earned. Sweeps against MSU and Miami are looking better and better.

This weekend is #7 versus #11. Not a bad matchup.

Notre Dame is ranked #2 (tied for #2).
                      Ferris is ranked #6.
                      MSU is ranked #16. And Rising.
                      Miami is ranked #18. And Rising.

And the Lakers are 10-4-2 throughout this tough schedule.

Friends, let us take a moment to reflect on this situation. Its after Thanksgiving. And the Lakers are ranked 11th in the country.

We can worry, rub our hands together and predict doom and gloom. But every weekend, this team just keeps proving that they are better than expected, better than hoped, and better than perhaps we -- the worrying faithless rabble -- perhaps deserve.

Comment

3dognight,

I haven't seen any updates at the Norris Center Project for some time. Is there anything new you can share with us in terms of what will be done when?

Comment

Originally posted by Flem Of The North View Post
                          Winning will help, but you are not going to get the Canadians over in droves because they have much higher quality hockey with the Greyhounds and they are a Junior Hockey town. Talking to a lot of the locals while I was up this weekend, there are still many Roque skeptics and believe this team will collapse, once again, under this coach, and could be why such poor attendance. They keep winning and all these issues and conceptions will change. They are off to a good start this year in doing that.
                          Flem,

I think you overestimate the number of "Roque haters" out there. Besides Truth Squad, Smp2k, and you I don't think there are that many. Attendance will always be down on a holiday weekend. And the Sault and LSSU have smaller populations that any CCHA school, so percentage wise it is understandable. Even though the Lakers may have the cheapest ticket in the CCHA it's still an expensive night out for some families.

Comment

Taffy Abel has a stated capacity of 4K. Swapping out the seats with ones 1 to 3 inches larger (wider) would decrease cap but keep it above 3.5K for WCHA purposes. Prior to expansion in 95 students occupied bleachers in S, R and Q sections. Now they are pushed into the corner and out of the way. Student population is about 2700 not the 3K+ from the winning years and shows 'suitcase' mobility on weekends. If the students were moved back to R section, they could scream (like we did years ago) right into the opposing bench, although they can't get away with verbage we used.

Abel would be louder, more comfortable and, as a season ticket holder, I would pay more for a wider seat for my now wider backside.

Comment

the Lakers are now ranked 11th!
                              Notre Dame is ranked #2 (tied for #2).
                              Ferris is ranked #6.
                              MSU is ranked #16. And Rising.
                              Miami is ranked #18. And Rising.
                              All eleven teams in the CCHA are in the top 30 in Pair Wise Rankings. Eight CCHA teams are in the top 20 of the USCHO poll. Five are in the top 15 of the USA today poll. Is that saying something about CCHA teams or just an aberration?

7 in the INCH power rankings...
                              Last edited by aygwm2; 11-28-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

As the team continues to win on a consistent basis there will be more seats in the seats. It is a well know fact that the better a college's athletic teams do the enrollment goes up.

Some time ago I watched an interview with Bobby Bowden, of Florida State fame, where he said when he started at FSU the attendance was very low. As the football team won the enrollment went up. When my son visited Ohio State years ago they talked about a direct correlation between enrollment and how the football team did. Fortunately he chose to go north to LSSU because of the programs and the hockey program.

A good solid hockey team which will play hard and win most of the time will fill the seats. I wouldn't down size the Norris the goal should be to fill it with good hockey and creative marketing. Like someone said earlier; if the winning continues into January more will begin to come to the Norris; some skeptics are just harder to convince.
                                Go Lakers!

Comment

Working...
                                X