This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Hockey 2011-2012

Pobur's goal was only the 2nd of his career. He also had 1 his freshman year.

Comment

Great win. Lakers really looked good offensively and defensively. It should of been something like a 6-1 game, but Bemidji's goaltending was outstanding again. If they can play like this against Ferris, they should have success.
      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
        Great win. Lakers really looked good offensively and defensively. It should of been something like a 6-1 game, but Bemidji's goaltending was outstanding again. If they can play like this against Ferris, they should have success.
        Solid win for the Lakers. I agree it should have been a 6-1 game, but I don't think that Bemidji had great goaltending. Walsh was shakey in warmups, and the first period. He did settle down a bit, but the Lakers still can't [B]finish [B]plays around the net. They missed open nets and hit goalposts, or they would just shoot the puck into him. You can't out-shoot a team 18-1 in a period and only have a 1-0 lead. They need to start putting teams away and scoring a few while they have momentum. They are doing a lot of thing right, and making nice plays, but some of these plays have to finish with the puck going into the net.

I thought Murdoch looked really solid, and the only goal he gave up he had no chance on. Good to have a reliable back up, as Kapalka was starting to look tired.

Comment

Originally posted by RealLaker94 View Post
          Solid win for the Lakers. I agree it should have been a 6-1 game, but I don't think that Bemidji had great goaltending. Walsh was shakey in warmups, and the first period. He did settle down a bit, but the Lakers still can't [B]finish [B]plays around the net. They missed open nets and hit goalposts, or they would just shoot the puck into him. You can't out-shoot a team 18-1 in a period and only have a 1-0 lead. They need to start putting teams away and scoring a few while they have momentum. They are doing a lot of thing right, and making nice plays, but some of these plays have to finish with the puck going into the net.

I thought Murdoch looked really solid, and the only goal he gave up he had no chance on. Good to have a reliable back up, as Kapalka was starting to look tired.

I agree with you they need to take advantage when the quality chances come. I was just as impressed with the Lakers defencive play when BSU put the pressure on late in the game. The Beavers are a hard working swift skating team I look forward to being in the same conference in a couple years with them.

A whopping 27 more people in the stands for saturday nights game was kinda sad to see.
          BLEED BLUE

Comment

BSU is a pretty good, solid team. The Lakers played a decent weekend of hockey, but by no means a complete 6 periods.

Comment

Soo Evening News Story:

Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. — It had been nearly two years since Lake Superior State goaltender Kevin Murdock had played in an NCAA game. After 30 minutes against Bemidji State on Saturday, he was still waiting for his first legitimate shot on goal.
              “It was the complete opposite of what I would have liked to have happened,” said Murdock, a transfer from Minnesota State who spent last season playing juniors with the Lincoln Stars of the USHL. “I was still a little bit unsure of myself after warm-ups, so I was hoping to go out there and take a few shots and get into a groove.”
              Not so much. The only shot Murdock faced in the first period was a dump-in from the blue line – “I’m pretty happy they gave that to me, though,” Murdock said – as the Beavers attempted just four shots all period. The second period wasn’t much better for Bemidji, which wasn’t able to give Murdock his first real test until after the halfway point in the period.
              “We don’t want to throw him into the fire and have him get peppered with a bunch of shots,” junior defenseman Zach Trotman said. “He made big saves there at the end of the game when they started getting some pressure on us, and that’s all you can ask for out of your goalie.”
              Lakers coach Jim Roque recruited Murdock in part to give starting goalie Kevin Kapalka a challenge in net, but this was the first game of the season Kapalka sat out. Roque didn’t even bring Murdock to Alabama to play against Huntsville in the season’s opening weekend because he felt Murdock wasn’t competing hard enough in practice.
              “After that he starting working harder in practice, competing and battling,” Roque said. “It was a great opportunity to get Kevin in there and get some shots against a good team. It’s good, we need that, you never know what’s going to happen to our goaltender, it was a good night for Kevin (Kapalka) to have off.”
              Murdock played in just five games for Minnesota State in the 2009-10 season, finishing 1-3-1 with a 3.41 goals against average and a .895 save percentage. He didn't play for the Mavericks after a loss to Alaska-Anchorage in November 2009. The Bradenton, Fla., native was a highly-touted recruit coming out of Lincoln and prep powerhouse Shattuck St. Mary's.
              "It was a mutual decision," Murdock told the Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star for a story in Sept. 2010 about his decision to leave the Mavericks. "I'd been thinking about it, and I think they'd been thinking about it. There was no point in me staying there and maybe not playing much when I could come back (to Lincoln) and get a chance to play."
              Murdock's first real save for the Lakers came on a one-timer from the slot during a penalty kill, and though he let in a goal from the doorstep later in the period, he said he started to find his groove.
              “It felt good, I felt really comfortable out there, just like the old days,” Murdock said. “I made the first save, and once you make one save, then you start getting hit with a few more and everything starts to roll," Murdock said. "OK, now I remember how to do this."

Saturday night special
              A theme with this year's team is how the two losses have come on Friday night — a 1-0 loss to Bowling Green and a 3-2 overtime loss to Bemidji — but they always bounce back on Saturday. And whenever the Lakers have won on Friday, they've followed it up with another win Saturday for the sweep.
              The players have taken to Twitter to get the message out: "#LSSUhockey doesn't lose on Saturdays," tweeted senior defenseman Kyle Pobur, who scored the game's winning goal. "Yet another Saturday night win from the boys. Can't say I'm surprised," tweeted junior defenseman Zach Trotman.
              The Lakers are 4-0 on Saturdays and 5-0 in the second games of series this season. But in the last two seasons, the Lakers' record on Saturday nights and the rest of the season have barely been any different. The Lakers were 5-7-4 on Saturdays last year and 7-10-5 on other days; and in 2009-10 they were 6-8-3 on Saturday and 9-10-2 in other games.
              Roque said the biggest difference between Friday and Saturday this weekend wasn't the effort, but rather who scored the goals.
              "The difference in the game is we’re not down 2-0 after one after playing great," Roque said. "If we don’t give up two goals in the first (on Friday), we probably win that one."

Around the CCHA
              The Lakers remained in first place thanks to Michigan's 5-2 win over Western Michigan on Saturday night. … the Lakers' next opponent, Ferris State, swept Bowling Green. The Bulldogs (8-2) are tied with the Lakers for best overall record in the CCHA. … Northern Mich. won shootouts twice against Notre Dame to pick up four points at home. … Miami swept Alaska with two one-goal wins, and Ohio State swept Ala.-Huntsville, which is still looking for its first win in their last season of hockey.

Comment

"Lake Front Property"
                After Years of Trying to Rebuild, LSSU is in First Place in the CCHA

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...t_property.php

Great to get some press over at College Hockey News!

Comment

Listened to radio show last night and was hoping to hear an update on Shkreli? Wall played last weekend if Shkreli isn't back hopefully we get a chance to see what Ainsworth has.

Comment

Suppose the Penn State donor for their D1 program pulls the pin because of the recent news. Does the B1G force the NCAA into a auto bid for a 5 team All D1 conference? Can Penn State afford to move forward without the donor? Does the Big Ten say 'Haha the B1G Hockey was just a joke guys'?

Comment

Originally posted by Nosferatu View Post
                      Suppose the Penn State donor for their D1 program pulls the pin because of the recent news. Does the B1G force the NCAA into a auto bid for a 5 team All D1 conference? Can Penn State afford to move forward without the donor? Does the Big Ten say 'Haha the B1G Hockey was just a joke guys'?
                      The Penn State donor has nothing to do with football. He's a hockey guy, through and through.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
                        The Penn State donor has nothing to do with football. He's a hockey guy, through and through.

I don't know that anything involved with PSU athletics is going to survive this untouched. I really don't. The allegations are horrific, and if the Grand Jury indictment is to be believed, it appears lots of people in PSU's leadership are going to lose their heads. So what does this mean for funding of a new hockey building and hockey team? Possibly nothing. But anything that can bring down Jo Pa, within virtually hours, is no small "scandal" or football-only issue. And that means . . . .what? I don't know. Personally, because I am an un-abashed and un-apologetic hater of everything relating to the Big Ten, I hope this kills PSU hockey, and the Big Ten schools are left standing with a funny look on their smug arrogant faces.

In other news, BIG series -- again -- against Ferris. Huge. Let me say, for the fourth weekend in a row -- "This is a really big weekend for the Lakers."

Comment

The Penn State hockey program is basically funded, at least initially, by Terry Pegula, who gave the university $88 million to build a first class arena and start a men and women's hockey program. Why throw that money away simply because Joe Freakin' Pa has been certifiably insane for the last decade and was probably involved in a massive sexual abuse cover-up? You're going to make all the sports pay because Joe Pa and Co screwed up?

That's nuts.

As for the Ferris series, it's the biggest one in the CCHA this weekend (wow, when was the last time that could be said??).

Comment

Originally posted by kranonsholly View Post
                            Listened to radio show last night and was hoping to hear an update on Shkreli? Wall played last weekend if Shkreli isn't back hopefully we get a chance to see what Ainsworth has.
                            Pobur will be a wing on the 4th line again for at least one of the games. Especially since he scored the game winning goal on Saturday. This also gives the luxury of having 7 defensemen dressed.

Comment

I didn't know that Dan Barczuk ended up playing for Adrian this season in Division 3 . Maybe he has gotten things under control.

Comment

Tyler Marble moved on from Humboldt (SJHL) to Wellington (OJHL), and according to this article plans on attending LSSU next season. I wonder if he plans on plans on being part of the Lakers team next season.

http://ojhl.pointstreaksites.com/vie...-21/news_35931

Comment

Working...
                                X