DI - D3 Exhibitions this Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DI - D3 Exhibitions this Sunday

I know they are just exhibitions and coaches will be skating new players/young players to see what they can do...and I know the D3 teams have everything to gain and nothing to lose and the D1 teams vice versa, but...

it will still be pretty interesting to college hockey fans to see how Neumann does at Princeton and Norwich does at Dartmouth this weekend...

FWIW, there used to be plenty of small college/large college matchups in "the good old days". It was a high point for me when Yale came up to Williamstown in the early 70s to play. I don't think we beat them (then or ever) but it was nice to see how the teams matched up. More recently (in the 90s) Williams regularly played Army and did pretty well, but I'm not sure any "W"s came out of it. Of course, if you go way back, to the 60s and before, the Middleburys, Bowdoins and Colbys played up regularly.

Re: DI - D3 Exhibitions this Sunday

Norwich and Neumann should compete well in these games. Certainly not David & Goliath matchups.

Comment

The game between Dartmouth and Norwich isn't listed on the Dartmouth schedule. After a bit of research I found out why. It's a scrimmage.

Comment

The past D3/D1 games I have seen (UVM/Norwich & UVM/Middlebury) were looked at as an opportunity to see as many players in action as possible to see how they compete against strong competition. I believe in the old days most teams rotated goalies to give them all a chance to compete. But what is different this time are the D3 teams appear a whole lot stronger than the old days and the weekend test may give us a idea how they stack up. Norwich takes on Dartmouth which the last couple of years has been a strong D1 team.
        2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
        2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Also take a look at the Utica-RMC Matchup tonight. RMC isin't an NCAA team but they do play Army on an annual basis and that's always a great game. so from that aspect it's comparable to the division 1 stage as well.
          Our bite is worse than our bark....
          Top guys, out.

Comment

While it would certainly be nice to see the D3 teams compete with the D1 teams, I would doubt you'll see close games this weekend. The reason I say this has nothing to do with talent disparity and everything to do with practice time. The D1 teams have been having official practice for what? A month? On the other hand the D3 teams have only been having official practice for a week or so? My guess is that is where the differences between the two levels will show up this weekend, more so than any talent disparity.

Comment

Originally posted by shooter27 View Post
              While it would certainly be nice to see the D3 teams compete with the D1 teams, I would doubt you'll see close games this weekend. The reason I say this has nothing to do with talent disparity and everything to do with practice time. The D1 teams have been having official practice for what? A month? On the other hand the D3 teams have only been having official practice for a week or so? My guess is that is where the differences between the two levels will show up this weekend, more so than any talent disparity.
              your correct sir...........practice makes perfect

Comment

Plattsburgh played right with the US-18 team (and some would argue outplayed) and the US-18 has already palyed 8-10 games and how many practices? The US-18 team is just as good as a mid-tier DI team. Keep in mind too Morrisville (with Relkoff in net) kept the score board close. Norwich is a much better "team" then Morrisville and I think Neumann with MacKinnon could keep it close against Princeton. Both Princeton and Dartmouth will only be coming in playing 1 other game (both the night before) against weak EX teams.
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

The Ivies can't start practice until 2 weeks before their first official game. So, while the other ECACHL teams have played games already, Dartmouth and Princeton (and the other Ivies) have been sitting on their hands waiting until they could start practicing about a week ago. Dartmouth and Norwich have had roughly the same amount of practice time, AFAIK.

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                    The Ivies can't start practice until 2 weeks before their first official game. So, while the other ECACHL teams have played games already, Dartmouth and Princeton (and the other Ivies) have been sitting on their hands waiting until they could start practicing about a week ago. Dartmouth and Norwich have had roughly the same amount of practice time, AFAIK.

r
                    we are forgetting about pink fluffie bunny practice...or captains practice they all do it........

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                      we are forgetting about pink fluffie bunny practice...or captains practice they all do it........
                      For sure, they've been dry-landing and skating since they got to school, or shortly thereafter. I'm not sure how the Ivies or D3 run things, but the DU coaches were allowed a couple hours with their team each week prior to the start of official practices.

r

Comment

Any Neumann or Norwich fans want to go on record predicting an upset?

Comment

Originally posted by vcxc3200 View Post
                          Also take a look at the Utica-RMC Matchup tonight. RMC isin't an NCAA team but they do play Army on an annual basis and that's always a great game. so from that aspect it's comparable to the division 1 stage as well.
                          No, not really.

RMC routinely gets beaten by Division III schools. They are definitely not comparable to the Division I stage.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Both Princeton and Dartmouth are Ivy and don't follow the DI schedule. Most DI's are already 4-5 games into their schedules while the Ivies have yet to start play. Chances are they haven't been practicing much more that the DIII's
                            John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                            AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                            AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                            NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                            NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                            NCAA DII - 1983
                            NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              No, not really.

RMC routinely gets beaten by Division III schools. They are definitely not comparable to the Division I stage.
                              Agree completely.UC dominated that game.RMC might go winless, playing a D-1 schedule.

Was very interested to see how the crossover games went.I follow both divisions, and often wonder how recruiters can identify what is D-1 talent and what is not.I see top D-3 guys sometimes, and wonder if they simply slipped through the D-1 cracks, or whether there are some obvious shortcomings in their games.D-1 has de-emphasized size as a recruiting criterion, and I see some D-3 guys with apparent D-1 hands...Maybe it's mostly about their speed, IDK.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-25-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X