PDA

View Full Version : DI - D3 Exhibitions this Sunday

Pages : [1] 2 3

Eph72
10-21-2011, 12:52 PM
I know they are just exhibitions and coaches will be skating new players/young players to see what they can do...and I know the D3 teams have everything to gain and nothing to lose and the D1 teams vice versa, but...

it will still be pretty interesting to college hockey fans to see how Neumann does at Princeton and Norwich does at Dartmouth this weekend...

FWIW, there used to be plenty of small college/large college matchups in "the good old days". It was a high point for me when Yale came up to Williamstown in the early 70s to play. I don't think we beat them (then or ever) but it was nice to see how the teams matched up. More recently (in the 90s) Williams regularly played Army and did pretty well, but I'm not sure any "W"s came out of it. Of course, if you go way back, to the 60s and before, the Middleburys, Bowdoins and Colbys played up regularly.

NorthernLite
10-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Norwich and Neumann should compete well in these games. Certainly not David & Goliath matchups.

Schwanman
10-21-2011, 02:57 PM
The game between Dartmouth and Norwich isn't listed on the Dartmouth schedule. After a bit of research I found out why. It's a scrimmage.

hawk
10-21-2011, 03:18 PM
The past D3/D1 games I have seen (UVM/Norwich & UVM/Middlebury) were looked at as an opportunity to see as many players in action as possible to see how they compete against strong competition. I believe in the old days most teams rotated goalies to give them all a chance to compete. But what is different this time are the D3 teams appear a whole lot stronger than the old days and the weekend test may give us a idea how they stack up. Norwich takes on Dartmouth which the last couple of years has been a strong D1 team.

vcxc3200
10-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Also take a look at the Utica-RMC Matchup tonight. RMC isin't an NCAA team but they do play Army on an annual basis and that's always a great game. so from that aspect it's comparable to the division 1 stage as well.

shooter27
10-21-2011, 03:41 PM
While it would certainly be nice to see the D3 teams compete with the D1 teams, I would doubt you'll see close games this weekend. The reason I say this has nothing to do with talent disparity and everything to do with practice time. The D1 teams have been having official practice for what? A month? On the other hand the D3 teams have only been having official practice for a week or so? My guess is that is where the differences between the two levels will show up this weekend, more so than any talent disparity.

bakdraft21
10-21-2011, 03:52 PM
While it would certainly be nice to see the D3 teams compete with the D1 teams, I would doubt you'll see close games this weekend. The reason I say this has nothing to do with talent disparity and everything to do with practice time. The D1 teams have been having official practice for what? A month? On the other hand the D3 teams have only been having official practice for a week or so? My guess is that is where the differences between the two levels will show up this weekend, more so than any talent disparity. your correct sir...........practice makes perfect:D

PSUChamps2001
10-21-2011, 04:01 PM
While it would certainly be nice to see the D3 teams compete with the D1 teams, I would doubt you'll see close games this weekend. The reason I say this has nothing to do with talent disparity and everything to do with practice time. The D1 teams have been having official practice for what? A month? On the other hand the D3 teams have only been having official practice for a week or so? My guess is that is where the differences between the two levels will show up this weekend, more so than any talent disparity.

Plattsburgh played right with the US-18 team (and some would argue outplayed) and the US-18 has already palyed 8-10 games and how many practices? The US-18 team is just as good as a mid-tier DI team. Keep in mind too Morrisville (with Relkoff in net) kept the score board close. Norwich is a much better "team" then Morrisville and I think Neumann with MacKinnon could keep it close against Princeton. Both Princeton and Dartmouth will only be coming in playing 1 other game (both the night before) against weak EX teams.

cetihcra
10-21-2011, 04:18 PM
The Ivies can't start practice until 2 weeks before their first official game. So, while the other ECACHL teams have played games already, Dartmouth and Princeton (and the other Ivies) have been sitting on their hands waiting until they could start practicing about a week ago. Dartmouth and Norwich have had roughly the same amount of practice time, AFAIK.

r

bakdraft21
10-21-2011, 04:28 PM
The Ivies can't start practice until 2 weeks before their first official game. So, while the other ECACHL teams have played games already, Dartmouth and Princeton (and the other Ivies) have been sitting on their hands waiting until they could start practicing about a week ago. Dartmouth and Norwich have had roughly the same amount of practice time, AFAIK.

r we are forgetting about pink fluffie bunny practice...or captains practice they all do it........

cetihcra
10-21-2011, 04:53 PM
we are forgetting about pink fluffie bunny practice...or captains practice they all do it........

For sure, they've been dry-landing and skating since they got to school, or shortly thereafter. I'm not sure how the Ivies or D3 run things, but the DU coaches were allowed a couple hours with their team each week prior to the start of official practices.

r

Eph72
10-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Any Neumann or Norwich fans want to go on record predicting an upset? :)

Russell Jaslow
10-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Also take a look at the Utica-RMC Matchup tonight. RMC isin't an NCAA team but they do play Army on an annual basis and that's always a great game. so from that aspect it's comparable to the division 1 stage as well.

No, not really.

RMC routinely gets beaten by Division III schools. They are definitely not comparable to the Division I stage.

XCTiger
10-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Both Princeton and Dartmouth are Ivy and don't follow the DI schedule. Most DI's are already 4-5 games into their schedules while the Ivies have yet to start play. Chances are they haven't been practicing much more that the DIII's

Fishman'81
10-24-2011, 02:52 PM
No, not really.

RMC routinely gets beaten by Division III schools. They are definitely not comparable to the Division I stage.

Agree completely.UC dominated that game.RMC might go winless, playing a D-1 schedule.

Was very interested to see how the crossover games went.I follow both divisions, and often wonder how recruiters can identify what is D-1 talent and what is not.I see top D-3 guys sometimes, and wonder if they simply slipped through the D-1 cracks, or whether there are some obvious shortcomings in their games.D-1 has de-emphasized size as a recruiting criterion, and I see some D-3 guys with apparent D-1 hands...Maybe it's mostly about their speed, IDK.

Russell Jaslow
10-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Agree completely.UC dominated that game.RMC might go winless, playing a D-1 schedule.

Was very interested to see how the crossover games went.I follow both divisions, and often wonder how recruiters can identify what is D-1 talent and what is not.I see top D-3 guys sometimes, and wonder if they simply slipped through the D-1 cracks, or whether there is some obvious shortcomings in their games.D-1 has de-emphasized size as a recruiting criterion, and I see some D-3 guys with apparent D-1 hands...Maybe it's mostly about their speed, IDK.

Speed is definitely a factor.

Another factor many don't think about is grades. In order to play at a Division I school in any sport (even if the sport plays "down" like used to happen with Canisius or UConn in hockey), you have to go through the NCAA Clearing House. You don't need to do that for Division III sports.

PrezdeJohnson09
10-24-2011, 05:14 PM

Another factor many don't think about is grades. In order to play at a Division I school in any sport (even if the sport plays "down" like used to happen with Canisius or UConn in hockey), you have to go through the NCAA Clearing House. You don't need to do that for Division III sports.

^This is why Eric Selleck attended Oswego and not a Division I school.

shooter27
10-24-2011, 05:42 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you seen the Clearinghouse requirements? I know that there are certain situations with extenuating circumstances (multiple transfers, international schooling, learning disabilities, etc.) that create Clearinghouse issues, but in general, if you can't meet the Clearinghouse requirements, hockey should be the least of your concerns.

bakdraft21
10-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but have you seen the Clearinghouse requirements? I know that there are certain situations with extenuating circumstances (multiple transfers, international schooling, learning disabilities, etc.) that create Clearinghouse issues, but in general, if you can't meet the Clearinghouse requirements, hockey should be the least of your concerns.as we say here +1 :eek:

collegehcky2
10-24-2011, 06:33 PM
^This is why Eric Selleck attended Oswego and not a Division I school.

He had offers from some pretty solid schools too.