Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nescac 2011-2012

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
    Here's the link to the NESCAC schedule with the links to the broadcasts: http://www.nescac.com/sports/mice/2011-12/schedule
    ok thnks

Comment

NESCAC
      Middlebury 2-0-0 2-0-0
      Tufts 2-0-0 2-1-0
      Amherst 1-0-0 2-0-0
      Williams 1-0-1 2-0-1
      Connecticut College 1-1-0 1-1-0
      Wesleyan 1-1-0 2-1-0
      Bowdoin 0-1-1 1-1-1
      Hamilton 0-1-0 1-1-0
      Colby 0-2-0 1-2-0
      Trinity 0-2-0 0-2-0

Any initial feelings on how things look for particular teams at this point?
      I'm surprised how Bowdoin has started out of the gates...

Comment

The Bowdoin/Colby Face-off Classic (Sat. & Sun.) always includes the US Under-18 team. This year they play Colby on Sat. in Waterville and Bowdoin on Sun. in Brunswick. The other team in the tournament is Salve Regina, which plays the NESCAC teams on the alternate dates. Every year the Under-18 team provides a good basis for camparison between Div. III and Div. I teams as their schedule includes a number of games against teams from both divisions. Here is the link to the Uner-18 team's schedule (with results): http://www.usahockey.com/USANTDP/def...1_01&ID=233680
        Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by LMNOP View Post
          NESCAC
          Middlebury 2-0-0 2-0-0
          Tufts 2-0-0 2-1-0
          Amherst 1-0-0 2-0-0
          Williams 1-0-1 2-0-1
          Connecticut College 1-1-0 1-1-0
          Wesleyan 1-1-0 2-1-0
          Bowdoin 0-1-1 1-1-1
          Hamilton 0-1-0 1-1-0
          Colby 0-2-0 1-2-0
          Trinity 0-2-0 0-2-0

Any initial feelings on how things look for particular teams at this point?
          I'm surprised how Bowdoin has started out of the gates...
          I wouldn't have been surprised if Bowdoin had lost both games on that tough road trip. But the whacking they got at Middlebury made me wonder. Did the whole team come down with the flu or something..?

Comment

Here's a piece about Div. III hockey I did for my blog this morning. The view from Yellow Springs, Ohio: Finding my true love on the Internet.

Comment

Here's a piece about Div. III hockey I did for my blog this morning. The view from Yellow Springs, Ohio: Finding my true love on the Internet.
              Enjoyed the blog
              Thanks
              Steve Day(NU71)
              Go Cadets

Comment

Colby keeps losing by one goal, including the exhibition game against the US Under-18s. They lost to Salve Regina this week, which may be an indication of the futility to come. Their only win was against a So. Maine team that is having a bad year. And they gave up 4 goals in that one. They can score, but the goals against avg. is killing them. Is it the defense or the goal tending..? I'm sure they are adjusting to a new system under coach Moore - and it may just be a matter of time. But they have started a Junior in goal who had not played in a game in his first two years. They have three freshmen goalies on the roster. Isn't one of them worth a try?

Usually Colby splits the home-and-home with Bowdoin. Under the old system, where only one game counted in the standings, they would usually lose the one that counted. They also have a bad playoff record against the Polar Bears. Normally, I would pick them to win the home game this Friday, but I don't see them making it over the hump this soon, even though Bowdoin is off to a slow start, too. So, I have them in a tie for game one, and dropping the one in Brunswick on Saturday. I hope I'm wrong. I wish they would schedule this match-up later in the season. It's too soon to get excited about this one.

Comment

Colby keeps losing by one goal, including the exhibition game against the US Under-18s. They lost to Salve Regina this week, which may be an indication of the futility to come. Their only win was against a So. Maine team that is having a bad year. And they gave up 4 goals in that one. They can score, but the goals against avg. is killing them. Is it the defense or the goal tending..? I'm sure they are adjusting to a new system under coach Moore - and it may just be a matter of time. But they have started a Junior in goal who had not played in a game in his first two years. They have three freshmen goalies on the roster. Isn't one of them worth a try?

Usually Colby splits the home-and-home with Bowdoin. Under the old system, where only one game counted in the standings, they would usually lose the one that counted. They also have a bad playoff record against the Polar Bears. Normally, I would pick them to win the home game this Friday, but I don't see them making it over the hump this soon, even though Bowdoin is off to a slow start, too. So, I have them in a tie for game one, and dropping the one in Brunswick on Saturday. I hope I'm wrong. I wish they would schedule this match-up later in the season. It's too soon to get excited about this one.
                  I thought they had a strong bunch of fwds coming in but see only 2 playing. Also, when will the goalies be tested?

Comment

Originally posted by LMNOP View Post
                    I thought they had a strong bunch of fwds coming in but see only 2 playing. Also, when will the goalies be tested?
                    It doesn't seem like the Freshmen are getting much ice time.

In the good news dept., Colby will be Webcasting the game Friday night on D3Cast.com.

Comment

Ohio Mule, I was just reviewing the Pick-ems, and most everyone made the same historically safe picks. Seems that Neumeyer and I are the only ones that have any faith in your team winning a game this weekend. Can't believe that you only gave them a tie! I didn't really think that anyone would beat Norwich last weekend, but I NEVER Pick against my team, so I took the ten point hit Seriously, though Bowdoin didn't show me anything opening weekend, I think that your Mules have a very good shot at home, if not both games.
                      from behind the iron curtain...

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy d View Post
                        Ohio Mule, I was just reviewing the Pick-ems, and most everyone made the same historically safe picks. Seems that Neumeyer and I are the only ones that have any faith in your team winning a game this weekend. Can't believe that you only gave them a tie! I didn't really think that anyone would beat Norwich last weekend, but I NEVER Pick against my team, so I took the ten point hit Seriously, though Bowdoin didn't show me anything opening weekend, I think that your Mules have a very good shot at home, if not both games.
                        I was going to pick them. Was even thinking about picking them to win on the road and lose at home. Even when Bowdoin is up and Colby is down, the Mules usually pull one out. However, even though Bowdoin hasn't shown much, I just don't think Colby is ready to make it all the way over the hump. Losing to Salve Regina was the final straw for me. I have this vision: Colby goes up 3 -0 in the first period. Bowdoin chips away and ties it in final minute of the third. Sadly, goal tending will be the difference. I look for them to gel in the second half of the season.

Comment

Bowdoin/Colby tonight and tomorrow night, 197th and 198th editions. Both games to be Webcast. Both will be sold out. A Colby student called me last night as a part of the annual fund drive. She reported that there's a lot of excitement on campus. She said she got her ticket for tonight's game early.

Sometime next year, depending on whether they meet in the playoffs this season, the Polar Bears and the Mules will play game number 200. It's great to be part of something like this: two of the nation's oldest colleges all the way up in Maine; rivals in all sports. It's cold here in SW Ohio right now, so the mood is set. I'm looking forward to two exciting games as I sit by the wood stove with my laptop.
                          Last edited by OhioMule; 12-02-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Sometime next year, depending on whether they meet in the playoffs this season, the Polar Bears and the Mules will play game number 200. It's great to be part of something like this: two of the nation's oldest colleges all the way up in Maine; rivals in all sports. [...] I'm looking forward to two exciting games as I sit by the wood stove with my laptop.
                            I shared your anticipation at 6:59pm as I sat in front of the computer getting ready to watch the webcast (great camera, awful announcer) last night but by 9:00pm I had become bored with a game that was surprisingly one-sided and lacked the usual intensity of Bowdoin-Colby matchups. It was hard to watch. And I'm a Bowdoin alumnus...

Former Colby coach Jim Tortorella drew quite a bit of criticism for his personality and mannerisms, but the fact is that under his guidance the White Mules always played well as a team (at least against Bowdoin) regardless of individual players' talent level. Last night the Mules looked confused defensively and were very ineffective offensively -- most of the shots came from bad angles.

As for Bowdoin, it seems to be a team with quite a bit of depth. They have speed, size and scoring ability. It's hard to understand what went wrong at Middlebury (a lopsided 1-6 loss). Even with Dan Weiniger, their All-America forward, playing a subpar (for Dan) game, the Polar Bears still managed six goals. Tim McGarry, Ryan Carney, Jordan Lalor and Jay Livermore (who goes about his job in an unspectacular but steady manner) all had an excellent game at defense. I was very impressed with freshmen Danny Palumbo, Ryan Collier, Tim Coffey and especially John McGinnis. Known primarily as an offensive player in juniors, McGinnis made a terrific defensive play on a Colby breakaway, catching up to the Colby forward and cleanly sweeping the puck away. He also assisted on three of the Bowdoin goals.

On a personal note, it was nice to see junior Scott Harff playing a leading role for the White Mules. I knew Scott as a Brown freshman two years ago. He wasn't going to play much at the Division I level, and made the wise decision to transfer to Colby, where he's getting the chance to play regularly while getting an excellent education. I'm so glad Scott is doing well.

Finally, I expect a much more competitive game tonight. The Sid will be rocking, and I wish I could be there, but I'm tied up with the celebration of th 50th Anniversary of Brown's venerable Meehan Auditorium today (and an important matchup with Yale).

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                              I shared your anticipation at 6:59pm as I sat in front of the computer getting ready to watch the webcast (great camera, awful announcer) last night but by 9:00pm I had become bored with a game that was surprisingly one-sided and lacked the usual intensity of Bowdoin-Colby matchups. It was hard to watch. And I'm a Bowdoin alumnus...

Former Colby coach Jim Tortorella drew quite a bit of criticism for his personality and mannerisms, but the fact is that under his guidance the White Mules always played well as a team (at least against Bowdoin) regardless of individual players' talent level. Last night the Mules looked confused defensively and were very ineffective offensively -- most of the shots came from bad angles. ...
                              Funny, I was thinking the same thing about Tortorella this morning. He did manage to get the team up for Bowdoin no matter what the disparity in the rankings might be. Even last year, when Bowdoin won all three games, they were close, exciting games. It looked like it was going to be that way until about midway in the second period last night, when the roof caved in on Colby. Colby's power play was horrendous, the defense lax and, while the goalie made a lot of saves, he didn't make any of the spectacular kind that would have been needed to keep them in the game.

I don't hold out much hope for tonight being any better. If Tortoralla were behind the bench, maybe... But, I'm not giving up on the new coach just yet. I'm sure this is a learning experience for both the players and him. He only got the job a couple months ago. He's definitely a hockey guy and I hope this works out for him. Colby is a great place to live and work for him and his wife and family. I'd trade places with him in a minute.

As the game wore down last night, I checked in on the Castleton - Norwich game. It was the kind of game we are used to seeing between the Mules and the Polar Bears. I will be watching Colby/Bowdoin again tonight. But I'm not expecting much.

Comment

Kudos to UCBadger who picked Bowdoin to win at Colby and Colby to win at Bowdoin. Brilliant!

Comment

Working...
                                X