Horses vs. Bears: Western Mich. @ Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horses vs. Bears: Western Mich. @ Alaska

Sometime this week, Western Michigan will travel 2,840 miles from Kalamazoo to Fairbanks, although due to the nature of CCHA travel it will probably involve connections in Detroit, Chicago, Winnipeg, and Whitehorse with an overland trek on the Great Northern Canoe Route.

'Nooks swept the Goal Rush, beating Mercyhurst and Nebraska-Omaha by a combined score of 9-3. Western tied a very salty Union team twice.

Puck drops 7:05 AK Time Friday and Saturday in the Golden Heart City (that's 11:05 for you Michiganers).
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Re: Horses vs. Bears: Western Mich. @ Alaska

Squarebanks beat me to it, but...

*****http://i130.***********.com/albums/p248/mmffbks/WMU-Final.gif******

...time to break out the old gif for the Western Michigan Broncos who come to town to open up conference play. It's too early to compare any stats, but WMU brings a sweep of UAH (7-1, 4-0) and two ties with Union (2-2, 3-3). From the box scores, the games with Union looked like they were also fairly evenly played. They are currently ranked 11th on USCHO.

The Nooks opened the season with a loss to SCSU (4-1), and then have beaten Clarkson (3-1), Mercyhurst (5-2), and UNO (4-1). The Nooks put together an all around solid effort against UNO.

Last year the Nooks hosted WMU at home after a month long December lay off. It is by far the worst I have seen the Nooks play in a number of years. The Bronco's success up here somewhat jump started their good season. Let's make sure that doesn't happen again.

It's still only October, but every game is important...
    1. Continue to improve week to week...
    2. Conference points on the line...
    3. "Back to the Show" NCAA points on the line...
    4. A chance to welcome another "elite" team to Fairbanks...
    5. Parents weekend. Show them their sacrifices were worth it. For once they won't groan when you break a stick...

Curious about the playing status of Michael Hill or Maxime Dumond, or if we may get Michael Quinn back. Anybody know anything?

And finally, props to the pep band and the energy they bring. I enjoy their goofing and jumping around more than their song selections, but good job nonetheless. I missed the Banananooks Saturday night. Would love to see a group of the student section get more organized, hoot & holler, and stand and bounce around most of the game. I think a grass roots section of obnoxious students could get the whole student section more involved. The building needs some energy.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Looks like two close tightly played games this weekend. I was out of town this last weekend. Last time I watched nanooks they looked horrible against St. Cloud. However looks like they are playing better with each game, would like to see the offense more consistant. Last, Andy Taronto hasn't looked good since his freshman year, something is missing with him, maybe he needs Dion Knielson back.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
        Looks like two close tightly played games this weekend. I was out of town this last weekend. Last time I watched nanooks they looked horrible against St. Cloud. However looks like they are playing better with each game, would like to see the offense more consistant. Last, Andy Taronto hasn't looked good since his freshman year, something is missing with him, maybe he needs Dion Knielson back.
        Taranto played hurt most of last year. The St. Cloud game was a clunker, and they've looked much better since then.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          Sometime this week, Western Michigan will travel 2,840 miles from Kalamazoo to Fairbanks, although due to the nature of CCHA travel it will probably involve connections in Detroit, Chicago, Winnipeg, and Whitehorse with an overland trek on the Great Northern Canoe Route.
          Yeah, but the upside is that there's still some daylight, it's above zero and they don't have to worry about the bus getting stuck in a snowdrift. Oh...and the salmon bake place is closed for the season so while they can't take photos of each other riding the giant salmon, they won't have to eat there either.
          Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
            Yeah, but the upside is that there's still some daylight, it's above zero and they don't have to worry about the bus getting stuck in a snowdrift. Oh...and the salmon bake place is closed for the season so while they can't take photos of each other riding the giant salmon, they won't have to eat there either.
            Too bad hockey season isn't during Case Day...err, All Campus Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
              But Michiganders get the special Spawning Humpy taste at Copper River Red prices...what's not to like. And it may be above zero right now, but it's still early in the week.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                But Michiganders get the special Spawning Humpy taste at Copper River Red prices...what's not to like. And it may be above zero right now, but it's still early in the week.
                Throw in a bottle of smoked salmon vodka from the bar at the Westmark and a hunk of reindeer sausage and I'm sure it'll make the group grope at security in DTW this morning all worth it.
                Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
                X