PDA

View Full Version : Purple Cows at Denver 10/21 and 10/22

Pages : [1] 2

du78
10-17-2011, 10:08 AM
The Minnesota State University Mavericks travel to the Mile High City this coming weekend. Last season DU went 5-0-1 against the Mavs including 4 one goal wins. The only blowout was a 6-1 win last Nov. 13th. The big question is how are the Mavs getting to Denver? Last year they bused from Mankato to Denver during the playoffs. The Mavs comes in with a 1-3-0 record after splitting with RPI on the road two weekends ago and getting swept by Umass-Lowell at home last weekend.

No doubt that Adam Murray will start in goal on Friday for DU as Juho Olkinuora from Finland will be serving the final game of his 3-game NCAA suspension. Will Gwoz give him the start on Saturday night to get his feet wet in the WCHA? Historically, the Mavs have given DU fits the way they play especially on the road in Mankato. DU has played some of the weirdest games against them. On paper DU should sweep this weekend at home but against this team you never know what is going to happen. Will the Mavs be able to shut down DU's offense? I highly doubt it.

Bale
10-17-2011, 11:10 AM
It's quite dicey as to whether MSU can even slow down the DU offense. This last weekend we had 3 freshmen and a forward playing on the blue line. Injuries have already taken a team that wasn't very skilled down a couple of notches already. Guys are breaking bones, separating shoulders and getting concussed left and right. This has the potential to be a proverbial blood bath. Of course, these are the types of weekends that seem to surprise me, so who really knows?

MavsFan
10-17-2011, 12:10 PM
About all I can say is, they'll show up.

vizoroo
10-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Things are pretty quiet in this thread.
Hopefully DU's Power Play will make some noise this weekend.

dggoddard
10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Homecoming weekend at DU. Lots of fun things planned for and by the students. Supposedly the largest number of floats in DU history for the Parade around campus.

Plus Zucker's parents are flying in.:)

Guessing that Murray starts Saturday if he plays well on Friday, otherwise the Flying Finn might get a start Sat.

vizoroo
10-18-2011, 06:58 PM
DU will be streaming Saturday night's game on the DU Facebook page and it is FREE.
For details: denverpioneers.com

Osorojo
10-18-2011, 07:09 PM
I'd rather see than be one.

MavHockey14
10-19-2011, 03:42 AM
It's quite dicey as to whether MSU can even slow down the DU offense. This last weekend we had 3 freshmen and a forward playing on the blue line. Injuries have already taken a team that wasn't very skilled down a couple of notches already. Guys are breaking bones, separating shoulders and getting concussed left and right. This has the potential to be a proverbial blood bath. Of course, these are the types of weekends that seem to surprise me, so who really knows?

Injuries have definitely depleted an already thin roster.

Zucker will light this team up. The Mavs are coming off possibly their worst weekend performance in the last 5 years at least. This team is usually good for being physical and working hard, but even that was lacking from this team. After an optimistic start week 1, week 2 took us about ten steps back. I'm one of the most optimistic guys on here, but I can honestly say I'd be surprised if these were less than three goal games. It seems we've taken over for MTU as the laughing stock of the league.:(

du78
10-19-2011, 09:27 AM
DU Game Notes (http://www.denverpioneers.com//pdf8/792264.pdf) for this series. Some highlights of the notes.

THIS WEEKEND'S STORYLINES
Denver is 10-7 in WCHA openers under head coach George Gwozdecky.
The Pioneers are unbeaten at 10-0-2 in their last 12 games against Minnesota State.
Denver remains ranked at No. 3 in both national polls for the second consecutive week.

FOR OPENERS
The Pioneers (1-1-0, 0-0-0 WCHA) open their 2011-12 regular-season home schedule with a two-game series against Minnesota State (1-3, 0-0-0 WCHA).
DU head coach George Gwozdecky is one win shy of 400 wins at Denver and 550 in his 26-year career.
DU will celebrate "University of Denver Pioneer Athletic Day" as proclaimed by Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper and Denver Mayor Michael Hancock on Saturday, Oct. 22.

BACK IN ACTION
Matt Tabrum returns to the DU lineup after serving a four-game suspension for violation of team policy. Goaltender Juho Olkinuora returns to action on Saturday, Oct. 22 following his three-game NCAA suspension.

Bale
10-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Injuries have definitely depleted an already thin roster.

Zucker will light this team up. The Mavs are coming off possibly their worst weekend performance in the last 5 years at least. This team is usually good for being physical and working hard, but even that was lacking from this team. After an optimistic start week 1, week 2 took us about ten steps back. I'm one of the most optimistic guys on here, but I can honestly say I'd be surprised if these were less than three goal games. It seems we've taken over for MTU as the laughing stock of the league.:(

Let's be honest, if you are an MSU fan you either have to be ridiculously optimistic or a masochist. :)

I'm with you though. I was encouraged after week 1, but this last weekend discouraged me 10 steps further back. According to Shane's column today, MSU had 7 guys injured by the end of the game on Saturday. It's going to take some serious leadership from Dorr, Hayes, Jokinen, et al to keep us even CLOSE to the back of the pack at this point. I was really disappointed in the effort this weekend. Of all the faults of this program, a lack of effort and urgency has never been an issue. This weekend it was and that, more than anything, is going to turn people against the program. I sure hope that there is more effort this weekend or, you're right, we're going to end up losing by 4-5 goals each game. By the way, after sweeping us, Lowell went on to lose to UCONN.....not a good sign.

joecct
10-19-2011, 11:48 AM
There is only one Purple Cow:

http://athletics.williams.edu/images/logos/PurpleCow380x260.gif?max_height=260&max_width=380

vizoroo
10-19-2011, 12:05 PM
DU Game Notes (http://www.denverpioneers.com//pdf8/792264.pdf) for this series. Some highlights of the notes.

BACK IN ACTION
Matt Tabrum returns to the DU lineup after serving a four-game suspension for violation of team policy. Goaltender Juho Olkinuora returns to action on Saturday, Oct. 22 following his three-game NCAA suspension.
I guess Chris Knowlton is still in the doghouse.

du78
10-19-2011, 01:28 PM
I guess Chris Knowlton is still in the doghouse.

Looks that way.

du78
10-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Per Puckato Mavs will have no extra skaters this weekend as 6 players are injured and they don't have any extras to make the series in Denver.

http://mankatofreepresshockey.blogspot.com/2011/10/skeleton-crew.html

Bale
10-19-2011, 08:21 PM
This is just getting ridiculous. I've never seen a team injured like this before. Taking a third goalie just so they've got as many bodies as possible is nuts.

MavHockey14
10-20-2011, 02:56 AM
It's not just injuries either, it's injuries to key players. This is getting ridiculous. Not having your captain, and one of your only experienced defenseman out right now, definitely hurts in itself. Add in a couple more D men, and a few forwards, and you get a **** poor performance apparently.

All I ask this weekend is that the 20 that make the trip work their asses off. As fans, we can't be that disappointed if we can atleast appreciate the effort.

Bale
10-20-2011, 10:08 AM
It's not just injuries either, it's injuries to key players. This is getting ridiculous. Not having your captain, and one of your only experienced defenseman out right now, definitely hurts in itself. Add in a couple more D men, and a few forwards, and you get a **** poor performance apparently.

All I ask this weekend is that the 20 that make the trip work their asses off. As fans, we can't be that disappointed if we can atleast appreciate the effort.

Both captains now....Dorr is the other C.

After last weekend, we need to make sure that there is a good effort. Things are gonna go downhill even faster if they don't at least give everything.

MavHockey14
10-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Both captains now....Dorr is the other C.

After last weekend, we need to make sure that there is a good effort. Things are gonna go downhill even faster if they don't at least give everything.

I'd love to see this team play hard nosed, hard working hockey with an attitude of having nothing to lose. Because quite frankly, Denver should be heavily favored both nights, especially considering the circumstances.

du78
10-21-2011, 09:35 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-19-kbgkCuVA/TV6VUg3jlDI/AAAAAAAAKPQ/n5pxAG3xTb8/s400/ImageyoxIi9p42FITKnVcJMrduQ%253D%253D%255B1%255D.j pg

MavHockey14
10-21-2011, 06:47 PM
GAMEDAY!
Let's Go Mavericks!