Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston College @ Northeastern 10/22

Originally posted by chase.ma View Post
    Disclaimer: I haven't seen Gaudreau play since he was in the USHL. An undersized 4th round draft pick out of the USHL gets to BC where they play a fast paced skill game in line with his skill set, and is surrounded by one of the most talented assortments of players in the country. Is Gaudreau good? yea hes good, he puts up points, but I think he fits into BC's system MUCH better than he would at NU, plus he is playing with linemates who make the game much easier for him. He doesn't have the pressure of being the biggest name on the team either. I see him having a solid career in the HE, maybe even ends up 1st line at BC as an upperclassman, but he is not a generational player. BC will facilitate his development as a playmaker more than NU could with their current group of forwards, but I dont see him tearing up the league all four years, I dont think the NHL scouts thought so either considering he went 4th round.
    When a kid this size goes in the 4th round, it indicates that he is very very good.

He's already looked great in a few games at BC. Probably slightly ahead of what we saw from Gerbe or Atkinson and about similar to what I saw in Gionta back in 1997 (though they have different styles).

As far as being a generational type player, I think the poster that said that believed he would be that type of player at NU. I mean, when is the last time a stud forward came to NU and did well from the get go? I can't even think of one in the last 15 years. So that's not a reach. At BC on the other hand, obviously he is not that type of guy simply because we've seen guys like Atkinson, Gerbe, and Gionta come through here in the last 15 years. At best he would be on par with them.

The last half of your last sentence there is a complete trainwreck. Unless he gets hurt or goes pro before his senior year, it's more likely than not he will light it up for 4 years here (BC's roster will only get more stacked as we move forward in the next few recruiting classes... just saying). No guarantees but you seem to understand that and we already know he is capable of it since he is already doing well right now. And we already addressed the 4th round draft issue above.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      The last half of your last sentence there is a complete trainwreck. Unless he gets hurt or goes pro before his senior year, it's more likely than not he will light it up for 4 years here (BC's roster will only get more stacked as we move forward in the next few recruiting classes... just saying). No guarantees but you seem to understand that and we already know he is capable of it since he is already doing well right now. And we already addressed the 4th round draft issue above.
      Agreed, it seems like he'll be a 3/4 year player here and given his size his draft position means sh*t in college hockey.

Gionta: 3rd
      Gerbe: 5th
      Atkinson: 6th

Comment

He'll be very good but just because you are short and talented doesn't make you the next Theo Fleury.
        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
          He'll be very good but just because you are short and talented doesn't make you the next Theo Fleury.
          Huh? He's very good because he's very good.

Size comes into play when you consider draft status. The pros like you bigger even in a newer game where smaller guys can thrive a little better. At the end of the day, a good player that everyone knows is a good player gets some validation to that notion when a pro team takes a kid that size in the 4th rd.

Whether or not he makes the NHL is anyone's guess. That is and can be a crapshoot as it is with everyone but even more so at that size, even in today's game. At the end of the day, this discussion isn't about what he'll do in the NHL, just that his draft status at his size is a good indicator of his elite skills (and of course his performances already at the D1 level over the past 2 weeks).

I understand you guys are annoyed he is at BC and not NU. Time to move on. You guys got that great Ferriero player (trying not to laugh)!!!!!
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by chase.ma View Post
            I guess my point is that a player like Gerbe is more the exception than the rule. Not saying he cant be a great player, he is definitely in the best situation possible for himself with BC. We also have to remember its so early in the year, obviously playing well early is a good predictor or playing well later but it doesnt mean that he will keep up this pace. Time will tell.
            More the exception because it appears Gerbe has made it in the NHL now and a lot of short guys don't? Is that what you're saying? I'd even agree with that, but this still really doesn't have anything to do with how Gaudreau will perform at the collegiate level.

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
            Hey, captain obvious!!! Who said anything about Gaudreau being the next Theo Fleury? (or that he'd even succeed at the next level?)

Comment

NHL draft status has absolutely no bearing on success at the college level. It fuels hype for recruits but does little else. The biggest players are drafted earliest and typically at that age the biggest players are going to be the most awkward and take the most time to grow into their bodies and acclimate themselves to the college game. Sometimes they probably even leave early before they hit their peak. Smaller players who are closer to their ceiling usually are more productive right off the bat; plus the fact that they tend to stay longer makes them extremely more desireable college players
              โ€œUnless youโ€™re Boston College, you donโ€™t get here every year.โ€

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
              Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
              Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
              National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

I understand you guys are annoyed he is at BC and not NU. Time to move on. You guys got that great Ferriero player (trying not to laugh)!!!!!
                Admittedly he was a bit young and his game was immature when he arrived here. A year in the USHL might have helped, but he was trying too hard to follow in his brother's footsteps, career-wise. By the bu (5 game) series, he had become dangerous and productive on offense. So far this season, he has shown great restraint by not taking a single trip to the penalty box. He simply took a seat at the start of the season and has yet to emerge.

Comment

Size comes into play when you consider draft status. The pros like you bigger even in a newer game where smaller guys can thrive a little better. At the end of the day, a good player that everyone knows is a good player gets some validation to that notion when a pro team takes a kid that size in the 4th rd.

Whether or not he makes the NHL is anyone's guess. That is and can be a crapshoot as it is with everyone but even more so at that size, even in today's game. At the end of the day, this discussion isn't about what he'll do in the NHL, just that his draft status at his size is a good indicator of his elite skills (and of course his performances already at the D1 level over the past 2 weeks).

I don't care at this point and haven't for a while. You'll find a post by me in the NU thread saying it's time to shutup about JG. It is what it is. That was weeks ago.
                  Northeastern Huskies

Comment

[QUOTE=Nick Papagiorgio;5235172]As far as being a generational type player, I think the poster that said that believed he would be that type of player at NU. I mean, when is the last time a stud forward came to NU and did well from the get go? [QUOTE=Nick Papagiorgio;5235172]

Morris and Guerriero were both point-a-game guys basically from the start. But yeah, you would have to believe he would be around Guerriero's production (147 points) if he came to NU for 4 years. Considering Guerriero is 11th on the all-time NU scoring list (and those above him played during more high scoring times), its safe to say Gaudreau would have been a historically good player for NU. That is, if the production matches the talent-level, which appears to be the case so far over at the heights.
                    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Win or lose, probably lose, I am just excited for the atmosphere at Matthews tonight. Sold out DogHouse and arena. Gaudreau comes to NU. But the DogHouse will have to will this squad to victory.
                      Northeastern Huskies

Comment

Loves these kinds of victories. Builds character. Down 3-1 going into the third and coming all the way back for the win.

Bill Arnold is just a stone cold stud.
                        BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                        National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                        Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

What a fun game. They probably didn't deserve the W but when BC gets in one of their slumps after not scoring in a while, once they get one, look out.

The booing of Gardreau was funny. Maybe if Cronin hadn't gotten himself in hot water and resigned, the kid would be wearing your uniform.
                          Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Zudnic, dead on. They should be booing Cronin for leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Zudnic, dead on. They should be booing Cronin for leaving.
                              Was Cronin there last night to get booed?

Personally I don't begrudge the kid for making that decision. But he took the opportunity to decommit late and go to an in-league rival. Its just a game, people like to cheer for their team and root against the apponent. So therefore he will get booed when he comes to Matthews. Whats the big deal?
                              my huskies > your huskies

Comment

The NU dogpound was great last night! I really love when they show you guys on the video feed I watch from home. What a terrible bunch of misfits. Must be Halloween all year round up there in the NU dogpound.
                                Originally posted by reBlur
                                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X