RPI @ Notre Dame (Friday, 10/21/11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI @ Notre Dame (Friday, 10/21/11)

RPI visits Notre Dame and is the first team to play at their new rink. The last time the two teams played was in the RPI Holiday tourney in November 2007. The series is tied 3-3.

Is this a prelude to games between future HEA foes?
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI @ Notre Dame (Friday, 10/21/11)

Tough opponent for a young team trying to figure out how to generate offense. Glad to get some experience against a high powered team. So far after 4 games goals for=4 and against =8(but 2 were empty netters). Defensively not bad but offensively just no production yet. Hopefully we can start putting things together.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

If RPI is aggressive defensively and generates pressure on ND in our end, they can be successful. UMD and OSU both did and were able to win. Size matters there too, so if RPI is at a disadvantage that will be a more difficult task. You guys seem to be struggling offensively, whereas our problems have been finding ways to keep the puck out of our net. Probably whoever minimizes their obvious weak spot will win.

RPI is one of the schools that "make" college hockey what it is, great history, banners hanging from the rafters, a different institution than the money pits making up a lot of the NCAA (my school included in that some of the time), and I'm glad a school like yours is the team to first play us in the CFIA, and not one of the "usual" suspects. Of course if RPI wins, I'll feel differently!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
        If RPI is aggressive defensively and generates pressure on ND in our end, they can be successful. UMD and OSU both did and were able to win. Size matters there too, so if RPI is at a disadvantage that will be a more difficult task. You guys seem to be struggling offensively, whereas our problems have been finding ways to keep the puck out of our net. Probably whoever minimizes their obvious weak spot will win.

RPI is one of the schools that "make" college hockey what it is, great history, banners hanging from the rafters, a different institution than the money pits making up a lot of the NCAA (my school included in that some of the time), and I'm glad a school like yours is the team to first play us in the CFIA, and not one of the "usual" suspects. Of course if RPI wins, I'll feel differently!
        Thanks for the kind words. RPI has a lot of size on defense but not much up front.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

To be fair, RPI did generate quite a few quality chances this past weekend. Especially on Saturday in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Both FSU goalies made plenty of "Oh, wow!" saves. I have a feeling RPI will put the puck in the net a few times in this game. It's their turn to be the benefactor of those lucky bounces.
          "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
          - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
          CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
            To be fair, RPI did generate quite a few quality chances this past weekend. Especially on Saturday in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Both FSU goalies made plenty of "Oh, wow!" saves. I have a feeling RPI will put the puck in the net a few times in this game. It's their turn to be the benefactor of those lucky bounces.
            Were you at the games?

I hope that you are correct. Being shutout in 4 of 5 games including the tourney game vs North Dakota last season is not good. Hopefully we will get Higgs and O'Grady back although it didn't sound promising at all.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Were you at the games?

I hope that you are correct. Being shutout in 4 of 5 games including the tourney game vs North Dakota last season is not good. Hopefully we will get Higgs and O'Grady back although it didn't sound promising at all.
              Yes. They nearly put one in with a minute left on Saturday. A nice two on one break that I was surprised didn't go in. A few others as well. In Friday's match I specifically remember one play (I think in the second) where Nelson's leg pad came out of nowhere to stop a hard shot from the right side that I think everyone expected to go in. RPI will score at least twice against ND, maybe three.

I know it's very early in the season, but Motte currently leads the nation in save percentage and goals against average, so not scoring on 26 shots isn't necessarily a sign of an inefficient offense.
              - Tim Horton

Ferris State University

Comment

Here are the highlights if you hadn't seen them yet:

Friday's game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_R-sG1NhZYU

Saturday's game highlights don't seem to be up yet, but they'll eventually be posted under the same account.
                - Tim Horton

Ferris State University

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
                  Yes. They nearly put one in with a minute left on Saturday. A nice two on one break that I was surprised didn't go in. A few others as well. In Friday's match I specifically remember one play (I think in the second) where Nelson's leg pad came out of nowhere to stop a hard shot from the right side that I think everyone expected to go in. RPI will score at least twice against ND, maybe three.

I know it's very early in the season, but Motte currently leads the nation in save percentage and goals against average, so not scoring on 26 shots isn't necessarily a sign of an inefficient offense.
                  We had been spoiled a bit over the past couple years having Polacek and Helfrich on offense. You are correct-it will come. Here's hoping it starts next friday.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    We had been spoiled a bit over the past couple years having Polacek and Helfrich on offense. You are correct-it will come. Here's hoping it starts next friday.
                    Doc, last year SA said that Polacek made Pirri and D'Amigo better. After the beginning of this year, I have to believe that he made everyone better. My admiration for him grows every week.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      Doc, last year SA said that Polacek made Pirri and D'Amigo better. After the beginning of this year, I have to believe that he made everyone better. My admiration for him grows every week.
                      He did affect all aspects of our play-short handed, on th epower play, even strength-and he made everyone around him just that much better. We miss him but I absolutely feel this team we are building can do all of that also-with better defense as a kicker.

Comment

a comparison to Chase on ND would be TJ Tynan. I saw him this summer up at Lake Placid w/US World Jr.'s. At 5'8" 173 (lighter than Chase) this kid is a big time player. He had no problem holding his own in front of the net in a game against Sweden and is electric when he has the puck on his stick.
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

I run a game called Pick to Click here on the forum. Some of you may be familiar with it because NMU used to run a similar contest. It's open to all posters. Feel free to join in!

The rules are simple, just pick one person from each team for the game this weekend that you will score lots of goals (or get a shutout).

Here's a link to the first post which contains a more detailed look at the rules and a couple links at the bottom to the list of individuals that cannot be chosen. Good luck!
                          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Friday night Notre Dame is openning a new hockey arena. Is there any chance that this game will be televised by one of the national sports networks?
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              Friday night Notre Dame is openning a new hockey arena. Is there any chance that this game will be televised by one of the national sports networks?
                              According to the schedule on the front page of this site, no such luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X