PDA

View Full Version : RPI @ Notre Dame (Friday, 10/21/11)

Pages : [1] 2

Ralph Baer
10-15-2011, 09:27 PM
RPI visits Notre Dame and is the first team to play at their new rink. The last time the two teams played was in the RPI Holiday tourney in November 2007. The series is tied 3-3.

Is this a prelude to games between future HEA foes?

DrDemento
10-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Tough opponent for a young team trying to figure out how to generate offense. Glad to get some experience against a high powered team. So far after 4 games goals for=4 and against =8(but 2 were empty netters). Defensively not bad but offensively just no production yet. Hopefully we can start putting things together.

IrishHockeyFan
10-16-2011, 02:49 PM
If RPI is aggressive defensively and generates pressure on ND in our end, they can be successful. UMD and OSU both did and were able to win. Size matters there too, so if RPI is at a disadvantage that will be a more difficult task. You guys seem to be struggling offensively, whereas our problems have been finding ways to keep the puck out of our net. Probably whoever minimizes their obvious weak spot will win.

RPI is one of the schools that "make" college hockey what it is, great history, banners hanging from the rafters, a different institution than the money pits making up a lot of the NCAA (my school included in that some of the time), and I'm glad a school like yours is the team to first play us in the CFIA, and not one of the "usual" suspects. Of course if RPI wins, I'll feel differently! ;):D

Ralph Baer
10-16-2011, 02:58 PM
If RPI is aggressive defensively and generates pressure on ND in our end, they can be successful. UMD and OSU both did and were able to win. Size matters there too, so if RPI is at a disadvantage that will be a more difficult task. You guys seem to be struggling offensively, whereas our problems have been finding ways to keep the puck out of our net. Probably whoever minimizes their obvious weak spot will win.

RPI is one of the schools that "make" college hockey what it is, great history, banners hanging from the rafters, a different institution than the money pits making up a lot of the NCAA (my school included in that some of the time), and I'm glad a school like yours is the team to first play us in the CFIA, and not one of the "usual" suspects. Of course if RPI wins, I'll feel differently! ;):D

Thanks for the kind words. RPI has a lot of size on defense but not much up front.

hattrick16
10-16-2011, 03:36 PM
To be fair, RPI did generate quite a few quality chances this past weekend. Especially on Saturday in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Both FSU goalies made plenty of "Oh, wow!" saves. I have a feeling RPI will put the puck in the net a few times in this game. It's their turn to be the benefactor of those lucky bounces.

Ralph Baer
10-16-2011, 04:13 PM
To be fair, RPI did generate quite a few quality chances this past weekend. Especially on Saturday in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Both FSU goalies made plenty of "Oh, wow!" saves. I have a feeling RPI will put the puck in the net a few times in this game. It's their turn to be the benefactor of those lucky bounces.

Were you at the games?

I hope that you are correct. Being shutout in 4 of 5 games including the tourney game vs North Dakota last season is not good. Hopefully we will get Higgs and O'Grady back although it didn't sound promising at all.

hattrick16
10-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Were you at the games?

I hope that you are correct. Being shutout in 4 of 5 games including the tourney game vs North Dakota last season is not good. Hopefully we will get Higgs and O'Grady back although it didn't sound promising at all.

Yes. They nearly put one in with a minute left on Saturday. A nice two on one break that I was surprised didn't go in. A few others as well. In Friday's match I specifically remember one play (I think in the second) where Nelson's leg pad came out of nowhere to stop a hard shot from the right side that I think everyone expected to go in. RPI will score at least twice against ND, maybe three.

I know it's very early in the season, but Motte currently leads the nation in save percentage and goals against average, so not scoring on 26 shots isn't necessarily a sign of an inefficient offense.

hattrick16
10-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Here are the highlights if you hadn't seen them yet:

Friday's game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_R-sG1NhZYU

Saturday's game highlights don't seem to be up yet, but they'll eventually be posted under the same account.

DrDemento
10-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Yes. They nearly put one in with a minute left on Saturday. A nice two on one break that I was surprised didn't go in. A few others as well. In Friday's match I specifically remember one play (I think in the second) where Nelson's leg pad came out of nowhere to stop a hard shot from the right side that I think everyone expected to go in. RPI will score at least twice against ND, maybe three.

I know it's very early in the season, but Motte currently leads the nation in save percentage and goals against average, so not scoring on 26 shots isn't necessarily a sign of an inefficient offense.

We had been spoiled a bit over the past couple years having Polacek and Helfrich on offense. You are correct-it will come. Here's hoping it starts next friday.

engineerhockeyfan
10-17-2011, 08:03 AM
We had been spoiled a bit over the past couple years having Polacek and Helfrich on offense. You are correct-it will come. Here's hoping it starts next friday.

Doc, last year SA said that Polacek made Pirri and D'Amigo better. After the beginning of this year, I have to believe that he made everyone better. My admiration for him grows every week.

DrDemento
10-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Doc, last year SA said that Polacek made Pirri and D'Amigo better. After the beginning of this year, I have to believe that he made everyone better. My admiration for him grows every week.

He did affect all aspects of our play-short handed, on th epower play, even strength-and he made everyone around him just that much better. We miss him but I absolutely feel this team we are building can do all of that also-with better defense as a kicker.

turk181
10-17-2011, 03:29 PM
a comparison to Chase on ND would be TJ Tynan. I saw him this summer up at Lake Placid w/US World Jr.'s. At 5'8" 173 (lighter than Chase) this kid is a big time player. He had no problem holding his own in front of the net in a game against Sweden and is electric when he has the puck on his stick.

burgie12
10-17-2011, 03:34 PM
I run a game called Pick to Click here on the forum. Some of you may be familiar with it because NMU used to run a similar contest. It's open to all posters. Feel free to join in!

The rules are simple, just pick one person from each team for the game this weekend that you will score lots of goals (or get a shutout).

Here's a link (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?96897-RPI-Pick-to-Click-2011-12&p=5209322#post5209322) to the first post which contains a more detailed look at the rules and a couple links at the bottom to the list of individuals that cannot be chosen. Good luck!

engineerhockeyfan
10-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Friday night Notre Dame is openning a new hockey arena. Is there any chance that this game will be televised by one of the national sports networks?

DavidSec17
10-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Friday night Notre Dame is openning a new hockey arena. Is there any chance that this game will be televised by one of the national sports networks?

According to the schedule on the front page of this site, no such luck.

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
10-17-2011, 09:39 PM
If you are asking because you can't make it to the game, ND shows their home games for free on their site.

RHamilton
10-17-2011, 11:03 PM
If you are asking because you can't make it to the game, ND shows their home games for free on their site.

WHOA WHAT?

Maybe RPI could learn a thing or two...

Ralph Baer
10-17-2011, 11:11 PM
WHOA WHAT?

That's true about many things in addition to the televising of hockey games. :p

I do agree that was an unexpected and much appreciated response by JJfP.

JCrawford
10-18-2011, 12:04 AM
WHOA WHAT?

UVM also webcasts their games for free online, as well, as I found out a couple weekends ago when the RPI Women's hockey team was playing there. I get the impression from their website that all of their sporting events (well, home games, at least) are webcast live: http://www.nsnsports.net/uvm/

engineerhockeyfan
10-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks jj, I did see the link on their site, but I did not know that it was free.
I will certainly be watching on Friday night.