Miac 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miac 2011-2012

Hi all, here we go again. Any news going around with all the MIAC teams ?

Re: Miac 2011-2012

They officially start practice tomorrow.

Comment

Any teams doing a mid-night madness opening practice? Augsburg, St. Marys? Someone with their own rink on campus would be the best bet.

Comment

Schools should have their rosters out soon. St. Olaf has published theirs. Top goalies in the league are Newstrom and Justice. All other teams, including UST and CM, it will be interesting to see who starts.

Comment

The rosters are popping up now http://collegehockeystats.net/1112/rosters/miacw looks like Concordia(MN) has alot of new faces.
          The puck drops on friday for 4 teams so let the season begin.

Comment

Originally posted by GoGoGophers View Post
            The rosters are popping up now http://collegehockeystats.net/1112/rosters/miacw looks like Concordia(MN) has alot of new faces.
            The puck drops on friday for 4 teams so let the season begin.
            Thanks for the update..Some coaches like to think it's a big deal to show there hand to soon..

Comment

COACHES' POLL AND SEASON PREVIEW:

http://miac-online.org/news/2011/10/...020113802.aspx

2011-12 MIAC Women's
              Hockey Coaches' Poll
              Rank Institution Total
              1 Gustavus (9) 81
              2 St. Thomas 67
              3 Bethel 64
              4 Concordia (1) 63
              5 St. Olaf 46
              6 Saint Mary's 38
              7 St. Catherine 36
              8 Hamline 23
              9 Saint Benedict 17
              10 Augsburg 15

To be honest, I am surprised people are still giving St. Thomas so much credit. I think Bethel likely deserves the 2nd spot, especially with Newstrom back. Concordia won't finish in 4th, I can almost guarentee that.

My guess:

1) GAC (hate it but it is inevitable)
              2) Bethel (Newstrom will sole-handedly keep them in every game this year)
              3) St. Thomas (I even question putting them this high)
              4) St. Mary's (much more experience this year. Should have some solid depth)
              5) St. Olaf (too many questions & no goaltending)
              6) Concordia (no roster out yet)
              7) St. Kate's (too many losses)

These three are a toss up
              St. Ben's
              Hamline
              Augsburg

Comment

Originally posted by eg1351 View Post
                COACHES' POLL AND SEASON PREVIEW:

http://miac-online.org/news/2011/10/...020113802.aspx

2011-12 MIAC Women's
                Hockey Coaches' Poll
                Rank Institution Total
                1 Gustavus (9) 81
                2 St. Thomas 67
                3 Bethel 64
                4 Concordia (1) 63
                5 St. Olaf 46
                6 Saint Mary's 38
                7 St. Catherine 36
                8 Hamline 23
                9 Saint Benedict 17
                10 Augsburg 15

To be honest, I am surprised people are still giving St. Thomas so much credit. I think Bethel likely deserves the 2nd spot, especially with Newstrom back. Concordia won't finish in 4th, I can almost guarentee that.

My guess:

1) GAC (hate it but it is inevitable)
                2) Bethel (Newstrom will sole-handedly keep them in every game this year)
                3) St. Thomas (I even question putting them this high)
                4) St. Mary's (much more experience this year. Should have some solid depth)
                5) St. Olaf (too many questions & no goaltending)
                6) Concordia (no roster out yet)
                7) St. Kate's (too many losses)

These three are a toss up
                St. Ben's
                Hamline
                Augsburg
                I agree with the order in which you place the teams to finish. I disagree with your comment about St. Olaf having no goaltending. While they have two Freshmen goaltenders this year, both are quality goalies and are strong in the nets. McKeever took her high school team to the State Tournment from, arguably, the toughest section in the State last year. Ubl is solid in goal as well. Both of these goalies may keep St. Olaf in many games this year -- time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by DedicatedFan View Post
                  I agree with the order in which you place the teams to finish. I disagree with your comment about St. Olaf having no goaltending. While they have two Freshmen goaltenders this year, both are quality goalies and are strong in the nets. McKeever took her high school team to the State Tournment from, arguably, the toughest section in the State last year. Ubl is solid in goal as well. Both of these goalies may keep St. Olaf in many games this year -- time will tell.
                  I guess saying they have no goaltending is a strong statement. More accurately, they have a question mark at goaltending and I tend to shy away from relying on freshman goalies to carry a team. With that being said, anything is possible.

Comment

Also, I was unaware of the transfer of Sarah Schneekloth to Hamline prior to my original post. This should help Hamline in the goaltending realm quite a bit. I still don't think they will finish very high due to lack of scoring. But it should help them to pull away from bottom feeders Augsburg & St Bens.

Comment

So the inter-conference match up seems pretty even this first weekend of play (NCHA up at 3-2-4). Do you MIAC and NCHA fans draw any conclusions from results like the Hamline split with Superior or the St. Mary's and St. Olaf ties with Point and Lake Forest?

Comment

Originally posted by eg1351 View Post
                        Also, I was unaware of the transfer of Sarah Schneekloth to Hamline prior to my original post. This should help Hamline in the goaltending realm quite a bit. I still don't think they will finish very high due to lack of scoring. But it should help them to pull away from bottom feeders Augsburg & St Bens.
                        Hamline's goaltender last year, Nicole Jones, had an average of 35 saves a game last season with a SV% of 934. She will most likely play a majority of the games this year. She played in the win vs Superior this weekend and looks like she picked up right where she left off making 43 saves. She played against Gustavus, St Thomas, St. Olaf, and St. Mary, top teams in the league, and every game was a 1 goal game. Hamline's goaltender is strong, they just need to find scoring from somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                          So the inter-conference match up seems pretty even this first weekend of play (NCHA up at 3-2-4). Do you MIAC and NCHA fans draw any conclusions from results like the Hamline split with Superior or the St. Mary's and St. Olaf ties with Point and Lake Forest?
                          Superior does this at the start of every season...except its usually with Concordia. It appears that the Hamiline goaltender kept them in the game while once again Superior couldn't put it in the net. It is hard to draw too many conclusions at this point in time...just because we don't know enough about the teams. Lake Forest is expected to be down this year, not sure how St Mary's should be doing. Point/Olaf...again..don't know what could be drawn from that this early.

After today's games it's still pretty even at 4-3-4. Neither of today's results are that surprising.
                          UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                          NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                          Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

St Thomas @ Superior can be seen here:

http://www.ifan.tv/home.php?cat1=66&...=27&article=61
                            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

This weekends Games:

(my predictions in bold)

Concordia (WI) @ GAC (After seeing the Marian/Cord score I am betting this game will be won by a touchdown)
                              Finlandia @ St. Kates (Pretty much a brand new St. Kate's team. Not exactly a test, but will probably be closer than MIAC fans want it to be)
                              St. Norberts @ St. Mary's (SNC won't surprise anyone this year, but they should still handle most MIAC teams)
                              Robert Morris @ Concordia (MN) (Robert Morris is a decent club team but they don't compare to most of the MIAC)
                              Lindenwood @ St. Ben's (Sorry Bennies.)
                              St. Norberts @ GAC (This is the MIAC game I am most looking forward to this weekend. I am betting on a one-goal game.)
                              Finlandia @ St. Ben's (You're welcome Bennies.)
                              Concordia (WI) @ St. Marys (SMU will be too much to handle for a Concordia team that will be banged up from the stomping GAC will give them)
                              Royal Military @ Concordia (MN) - (ditto above)
                              Lindenwood @ St. Kates (hate to say it but until St. Kate's proves it, I find it tough to bet on them.)
                              Bethel @ St. Olaf (One Word: Newstrom.)
                              Last edited by eg1351; 11-02-2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X