Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard 2011-12 Thread: Celebrating our 375th

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    Well thank goodness for Raphael Girard. He played the game of his life tonight. There was one sequence where he made three close in stops with no help from his D. Man, he was outstanding. He had to be because we gave him no help especially in the second period. How SLU didn't score more than one goal is beyond me. Yes, we played better in the third and David Valek's goal was a thing of beauty. Top shelf wrister that had eyes. But for the most part, we really struggled to win this one. However, we'll take it given the number of ties this year. And with Clarkson and Colgate losing, we're tied for third with a chance to wrap up third by beating Clarkson tomorrow. So things are looking up.

Really bad call on Ryan Grimshaw tonight. Yes, it was a penalty but charging should have been the extent of the call. To kick him out of the game was ludicrous. Rumor at the rink has it that they will review the call and hopefully reverse his misconduct so he can play on Senior Night. That is the way it should be.
    -Girard really did steal the show in the 2nd. I've seen the replays and I'm still not quite sure how he made all the saves he did.
    -Since it was only a game misconduct and not a DQ (at least according to my stats and the box score online) Grimshaw's hit is not an automatic suspension anyway but could be reviewed by the league for supplementary discipline. (Rule 4.4.b)
    A player who is assessed a game misconduct penalty is suspended for the remainder of that game only. The player shall be allowed to play in the team’s next scheduled game.
    -Here are the playoff scenarios for Harvard: Playoff Scenarios I think I have them all covered.
    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
    Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
      -Girard really did steal the show in the 2nd. I've seen the replays and I'm still not quite sure how he made all the saves he did.
      I was at the game and agree wholeheartedly. It was a well played game and Girard was the difference. Several times I thought we had a goal only to have him stick out a pad, a glove or dive across to stop the puck.

I thought if we could have jumped on you a bit more with that 5 minute penalty at the start and potted a couple but you kept us at bay for most of the 5 minutes.

Although following the Saints for a good many years this was my first visit to Bright. (Been everywhere else.) I was a bit underwhelmed. Ticket booth outside where you had to stand in the rain. No lobby, kind of a rinky dink concession stand but I was most surprised by the lack of fans. I think SLU had you outnumbered. I don't know why but for an institution so well endowed I was expecting something "brighter!" Then again for the amount of fans there I guess even with it being such an important game certainly means you don't need more seats!!!
      SLU

Comment

All the other posters have it exactly right- Girard was the difference in the second, making many large stops.

Critsports, you are right on with the comment about the fans. Keep in mind though the basketball team was playing at the same time, which cut into the fans. Still, there were over twenty five hundred people there, though as is often the case, a nice proportion of them were for the opposing team. A lot of ECAC teams have many alumns in Boston, and it is a fun place for students to travel to as well, so Harvard generally has a pretty good crowd, but not overwhelmingly for the home team always.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
          Although following the Saints for a good many years this was my first visit to Bright. (Been everywhere else.) I was a bit underwhelmed. Ticket booth outside where you had to stand in the rain. No lobby, kind of a rinky dink concession stand but I was most surprised by the lack of fans. I think SLU had you outnumbered. I don't know why but for an institution so well endowed I was expecting something "brighter!" Then again for the amount of fans there I guess even with it being such an important game certainly means you don't need more seats!!!
          Interestingly, Bright was modeled after Thompson Arena at Dartmouth while keeping the old Watson Rink roof frame and building structure. Originally, we were supposed to get an entirely new building with lobby and all the bells and whistles. At the last minute, they decided to go the cheap route and retain the frame and roof structure of the old rink and just renovate and rebuild inside out. That mean't no lobby or concourse to speak of. Maybe I'm biased but I think Bright is one of the better buildings in the ECAC and certainly has one of the best playing surfaces on the East Coast.

As for the fans, well, the program has suffered from losing seasons and apathy since back in the early nineties. We have routinely been outnumbered by opposing fans even from schools such as Brown and Princeton. SLU always brings a strong vocal contingent. However, I didn't think last night was any great shakes by the SLU faithful. Harvard fans used to make a lot of noise and got behind the team. No longer. If you so much as raise your voice, you get dirty looks from other fans. It has become a joyless crowd and it really doesn't help the team at all. Unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
            -Since it was only a game misconduct and not a DQ (at least according to my stats and the box score online) Grimshaw's hit is not an automatic suspension anyway but could be reviewed by the league for supplementary discipline. (Rule 4.4.b)

-Here are the playoff scenarios for Harvard: Playoff Scenarios I think I have them all covered.
            Good to know and thanks for the clarification. It would have been a shame for him to miss Senior Night.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              Interestingly, Bright was modeled after Thompson Arena at Dartmouth while keeping the old Watson Rink roof frame and building structure. Originally, we were supposed to get an entirely new building with lobby and all the bells and whistles. At the last minute, they decided to go the cheap route and retain the frame and roof structure of the old rink and just renovate and rebuild inside out. That mean't no lobby or concourse to speak of. Maybe I'm biased but I think Bright is one of the better buildings in the ECAC and certainly has one of the best playing surfaces on the East Coast.

As for the fans, well, the program has suffered from losing seasons and apathy since back in the early nineties. We have routinely been outnumbered by opposing fans even from schools such as Brown and Princeton. SLU always brings a strong vocal contingent. However, I didn't think last night was any great shakes by the SLU faithful. Harvard fans used to make a lot of noise and got behind the team. No longer. If you so much as raise your voice, you get dirty looks from other fans. It has become a joyless crowd and it really doesn't help the team at all. Unfortunate.
              Thanks for the background info. Make no mistake once you are in the building the sight lines are fine, it is a pleasant place to watch, etc. As for the vocal contingent I seemed to notice the SLU crowd was "spread out" a bit. There was one good sized section just to the side of the Saints bench but I saw others all around the arena. As for Harvard fans I stood behind the Saints bench and there was a whole busload of a team of kids from Montreal that were all cheering for Harvard. I spoke to one of their coaches and he said they take an annual trip down from Montreal to cheer for Girard as he came up through their school and program. So, you had one whole filled up section cheering for you that normally wouldn't be there.
              I know about the "sitting on their hands" crowd. That's how Appleton can get when the students aren't there. Still...I was surprised that even with a basketball game going on (and your b ball team is very good by the way and I wont' mention the L word ) none the less you are in a metro area with a big alumni base of your own so I guess I was expecting more. Too bad...it is a beautiful campus, beautiful area, etc. Good luck securing a bye tonight. As an SLU fan it never hurts our feelings to see you know who lose.
              SLU

Comment

Well, it was another nail biter but once again, we found a way to win. David Valek is absolutely on a hot streak and that third line is really helping Harvard as the first line has been held in check for the most part. Again, Girard was terrific although he didn't have to make as many spectacular saves tonight. Great night for the seniors and their parents to celebrate with a win and a bye finishing third. Sorry that Rence Coassin couldn't dress. He looks hurt in a big way.

The game looked for all the world like Clarkson was going to run away and hide. They played with more emotion and jam and had their feet moving much more so than the Crimson. Taking dumb penalties didn't help either. But once Clarkson started taking some cheapies, Alex Fallstrom made them pay by slamming home a beautiful feed from Marshall Everson and the Crimson were back in it. The first of Valek's goals in the third period was one of those "you had to see it to believe it". The puck went underneath the crossbar, hit the water bottle sitting on top of the net and came out so quick that no one was sure except for Valek and the Crimson that it was a goal. The replay confirmed it and the game was tied. Little more than five minutes later, Valek took a great feed from Tommy O'Regan (did he undress that Clarkson D or what!!) and slammed home the game winner.

There was an anxious moment near the end of the game that Alex Fallstrom won't soon forget. Clarkson had pulled their goalie and Danny Biega intercepted a pass and sent Fallstrom with a full head of steam headed towards an empty net. Instead of going all the way in and depositing the puck in the net, he shot it from near the Clarkson blue line and it missed the net. Yup he whiffed. Fortunately, Harvard survived to win but one can only imagine the nightmares Fallstrom would be having right about now if Clarkson had come back to tie and, gulp!, win. A big UGLY was avoided.

The boys get a week off to rest up and sharpen their game. No telling who we'll play given the state of the conference these days. No matter. WE'RE HOME FOR THE PLAYOFFS! TIES AND ALL!

Comment

Considering the season, it was perfect that the senior night game was a comeback victory. Congrats on getting the bye.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                  HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                  HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Thank you.
                    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
                      Thank you.

And it was so much nicer than last year. Good work team. Good work Teddy and all the staff.

Comment

What's the deal with your goalies? Michalek has gotten most of the run but Girard has better numbers. Looks like he got both Ws this past weekend. Has he cemented himself as the #1 for the playoffs?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          What's the deal with your goalies? Michalek has gotten most of the run but Girard has better numbers. Looks like he got both Ws this past weekend. Has he cemented himself as the #1 for the playoffs?
                          Most likely - I don't think it's at a point where Girard wouldn't get pulled if he gives up a few softies, but at this point, I'd say that the position is Girard's to lose.

Comment

Girard has been really hot of late and while Michalek has played well, I think the number of games caught up to him. Harvard is fortunate to have both for the next couple of years. I don't think Girard will get pulled unless he really lays an egg. He is playing with a tremendous amount of confidence.

Comment

Less than 2 hours to get your picks in for round one of the ECAC PICK THE PLAYOFFS
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Just wanted to pass this on....about a future player for the Crimson. Vipers TV caught up with Vernon Vipers rookie #10 Riley Hunt. The youngster from Revelstoke, B.C. has already lined up a scholarship to play with Harvard University. Here’s a video profile of the player.
                                h

Comment

Working...
                                X