X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: U Maine 2011-2012 Season (thread created when Maine was at .500) Thread

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
    I see the goalie rotation staying in place until such time as one emerges, Marty being quicker with a great glove and Sully being a better puck handler like an extra D.
    You got me there; watching Marty fumble around with the puck reminded me of Bish, and in a not-so-fond way...Sully is definitely more adept in that department, but what on Earth is wrong with the goalie simply minding his crease, and the D taking care of the puck behind the net 95% of the time, FCS???

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
      Couple of things. What does everyone think of the all freshman line? Is there anyone on the team that you would like to see get a chance to prove themselves? Personally I would like to see Rutt get a chance, he's big and could help us out in the size category since our team is very small.
      I would hope that Rutt gets a chance to play in the near future...BUT what has become of Carlos Amstoy..? Is he in the dog-house with TW..? Just not up to College Hockey..? From what I've seen of him he has the speed/hands and looks to have the hockey sense in positioning himself and he looks to have some grit in not backing down...anyone else wonder..?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        You got me there; watching Marty fumble around with the puck reminded me of Bish, and in a not-so-fond way...Sully is definitely more adept in that department, but what on Earth is wrong with the goalie simply minding his crease, and the D taking care of the puck behind the net 95% of the time, FCS???
        As I feared before the start of this season...goaltending...what use to be Maine's trademark strong point is at best a Questionmark from game to game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          As I feared before the start of this season...goaltending...what use to be Maine's trademark strong point is at best a Questionmark from game to game.
          Neither of the goalies are Ron Hextall or martin Brodeur back there when it comes to puck handling....an area to improve no doubt. D will be ok, and deep enough that injuries won't see a massive drop off, what makes me nervous is fall off after top line and beatie...an injury to anyone and there goes a ton of points, and no one has shown they can step up, It's only 4 games this year, but Anderson, liedermark, Shemansky are all seasoned...and have never been the scorers even when given the chance,. Our guys better skate others into the ice when they get a chance and grind.....oh wait Timmay Ghandi may not like that....

Comment

I honestly think Maine is going to have a top 3 finish in Hockey East this year. They probably have the top line in HE who should be able to put up #'s night in and night out. The big question is where the secondary scoring is going to come in. IMO - moving Mangene up to center Flynn and Abbott makes the most sense. Then you can pair Beattie with Diamond and Shemansky(or someone else) for much more offensive punch on the second line. Keep the freshmen together on line 3 as a checking/energy line with the ability to pop a goal here and there and use Anderson/Leidermark/whoever else primarily on PK and to take 2 shifts/ period to rest the other guys. I don't think the D will suffer all that much with O'Connor in there instead of Mangene. Not to mention Mangene is a good faceoff guy and would be able to dish the puck to the speedy Flynn and Abbott on the wings.

Definsively, O'Neil is fine but after that I hold my breath everytime the other 5 handle the puck. Against qucik teams, like BC, I see turnovers being a huge problem (especially with Heagarty and Pryor). Nemic is what he is- stay at home , move the puck quick type defensman- I wish he was a little more physical in the defensive zone. Still haven't had a good enough look at Cornell, although i get the feeling he is nothing special.

It will however, all come down to how the goalies play- a few cheap goals against ND really cost them what should have been a 3 point weekend. I give a slight edge to Oullete so far.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the goalie staying home but when you have one that can handle the puck giving the D a chance for a second look, it certainly helps with your breakout. Also so very important is the communication between the goalie and the D.

Comment

Originally posted by MainePuck View Post
                I honestly think Maine is going to have a top 3 finish in Hockey East this year. They probably have the top line in HE who should be able to put up #'s night in and night out. .
                night in and night out as long as they are not playing Merrimack at the Alfond?

I guess Maine is lucky to be done with THEM at the Alfond this season.

(I cannot imagine that the top line you were referring to was Liedermark, shorthanded)

the first test Maine has to pass in my book is whether they are going to make the HE playoffs at all... The upcoming series against Providence should answer that question.

Comment

Originally posted by MainePuck View Post
                  I Still haven't had a good enough look at Cornell, although i get the feeling he is nothing special.

Cornell can hit, if he is allowed to.
                  and fwiw, I think that O'Connor IS special... not Imes-special, but dam good...

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                    I do as well. He's definitely has great awareness for a defenseman and it shocks me to see him riding the pine as often as he does.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                      Cornell can hit, if he is allowed to.
                      The "KEY WORD" is if allowed...if both those players were allowed along with Nemec there would be less problems in front of the net...and Maine would have a real defenseman core...to go with Will O'Neill.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post
                        I do as well. He's definitely has great awareness for a defenseman and it shocks me to see him riding the pine as often as he does.
                        Travis Wight
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Just a side note...Gustav Nyquist is having a great start to the season with Grand Rapids...3g 2a through 5 games.
                          Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                            Just a side note...Gustav Nyquist is having a great start to the season with Grand Rapids...3g 2a through 5 games.
                            Lets hope Whitehead doesn't see that...next thing you'll hear is well if we had not lost Nyquist a year early we'd..............................

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Travis Wight
                              Wally, are you saying he's gonna be a bonehead D-man until he wakes up late in his Junior year..?(Guess I'll take it at this point.)

Comment

Wally, are you saying he's gonna be a bonehead D-man until he wakes up late in his Junior year..?(Guess I'll take it at this point.)

I'm saying no one should be shocked as their is prior history of such behavior
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X