• Show
Clear All

• Re: The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

#16 was released yesterday.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Mostly for FreshFish, but I will be posting the point values for #16 and #17 later today. Also, I might even be tempted to post the point values for #11-15 while I am at it...perhaps some guessing could commence on who those spots belong to.
      North Dakota

Comment

So here are the point values of teams #11-25

#11 - _____________ 210.013
        #12 - _____________ 206.636158
        #13 - _____________ 206.388
        #14 - _____________ 204.7648
        #15 - _____________ 203.69608
        #16 - '55-'56 Clarkson 203.691
        #17 - '03-'04 North Dakota 201.94
        #18 - '80-'81 Minnesota 200.2265
        #19 - '95-'96 Michigan 197.7472
        #20 - '00-'01 Boston College 192.217
        #21 - '10-'11 North Dakota 192.042
        #22 - '55-'56 Michigan 191.7456
        #23 - '79-'80 North Dakota 189.6925
        #24 - '70-'71 Boston University 187.55626
        #25 - '94-'95 Boston University 187.36
        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          So here are the point values of teams #11-25
          So 12 and 13 are effectively tied, as are 15 and 16, and 20 and 21, and 24 and 25, while there is more separation between 11 and 12, or between 19 and 20.

I don't know enough to begin guessing yet.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Hmm, let's see, my "guess" for # 15 would be 1966 - 1967 Cornell team.....
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              Hmm, let's see, my "guess" for # 15 would be 1966 - 1967 Cornell team.....
              Well done. It looks like it has been published...here's the link...

#15 - '66-'67 Cornell
              North Dakota

Comment

#15 - '66-'67 Cornell
                They played teams like Western Ontario, Guelph, and McMaster. No more criticizing the pre-NCAA Gopher schedules.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  They played teams like Western Ontario, Guelph, and McMaster. No more criticizing the pre-NCAA Gopher schedules.
                  To win the championship they beat North Dakota and Boston University. I believe we know who they are. Now, if anyone can shed some light on who "Brock Hall" and "Amesbury" are, then perhaps people will stop criticizing the Gophers.

Also, does anyone know of any other school that claims an AAU title? This is a serious question and not meant to be a barb thrown at Minnesota.
                  North Dakota

Comment

To win the championship they beat North Dakota and Boston University. I believe we know who they are. Now, if anyone can shed some light on who "Brock Hall" and "Amesbury" are, then perhaps people will stop criticizing the Gophers.

Also, does anyone know of any other school that claims an AAU title? This is a serious question and not meant to be a barb thrown at Minnesota.
                    Also being serious (this time), it looks like Yale's yearbook talks about Brock Hall (thanks google!, page 314-315) beating them or their freshman team, but I am not a member of the site so I can't read the entire thing.

http://www.e-yearbook.com/sp/eybb?sc...=315&hilight=1

Also apparently this newspaper from 1945 talks about them in the "sports mirror" section (hard to read, but talks about the 9-1 game).

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Site...?img=115359842

ETA: The only other 2 articles I could find are pay only from NYT.

NYTimes 1938 (pay): BROCK HALL TRIUMPHS, 6-3; New Haven Six Rallies to Down New York A. C. Skaters
                    http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...89D95F4C8385F9

NYTimes 1940 (pay): BROCK HALL VICTOR, 4-2; Sextet Beats Victorias to Gain League Lead on Points
                    http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...8AD85F448485F9
                    Last edited by JF_Gophers; 11-18-2011, 12:07 PM.
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

#15 - '66-'67 Cornell
                      BTW, Death is pronounced DEETH, or at least that is how I heard it back then.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Also being serious (this time), it looks like Yale's yearbook talks about Brock Hall (thanks google!, page 314-315) beating them or their freshman team, but I am not a member of the site so I can't read the entire thing.

http://www.e-yearbook.com/sp/eybb?sc...=315&hilight=1

Also apparently this newspaper from 1945 talks about them in the "sports mirror" section (hard to read, but talks about the 9-1 game).

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Site...?img=115359842
                        Here's the closest thing I got on Brock Hall and who they were...

http://digital.library.yale.edu/cdm/...CALE=0&DMTEXT=

It looks like Brock Hall basically was a local (New Haven) amateur club, and got throttled by Yale. For those interested, a "town and gown" affair is between local residents and university students.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          BTW, Death is pronounced DEETH, or at least that is how I heard it back then.
                          That's too bad. Captain Death (pronounced death) would have been awesome.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Here's the closest thing I got on Brock Hall and who they were...

http://digital.library.yale.edu/cdm/...CALE=0&DMTEXT=

It looks like Brock Hall basically was a local (New Haven) amateur club, and got throttled by Yale. For those interested, a "town and gown" affair is between local residents and university students.
                            Too bad it doesn't say what year that is from (that i could see). Be interesting to see the timeline of changes to teams as the NCAA came into being in the late 40's/early 50's
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Found this incredibly interesting....

"In 1938 and 1939 the Gophers lost all four games played against the University of Southern California, probably the best college team in the country at that time."

http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.com/MNGophers.html

Comment

Too bad it doesn't say what year that is from (that i could see). Be interesting to see the timeline of changes to teams as the NCAA came into being in the late 40's/early 50's
                                February 5, 1940.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X