PDA

View Full Version : The 25 Best College Hockey Players in the NHL

Pages : [1] 2

ac@chihawks
10-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Hey folks,

I posted this article in Bleacher Report last week and would love to hear your thoughts. I have already heard from a couple of people, and rightly so, that Travis Zajac and Paul Martin should have been noted.

Please let me know if there are others you feel should be listed and also who the next generation of stars will be. Whether they are on their first or second year in the NHL or of they are still in the collegiate ranks. Thanks.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/877625-ncaa-hockey-the-top-25-us-college-hockey-players-in-the-nhl

Nick Papagiorgio
10-12-2011, 10:03 AM
All I know is that picture of Gionta on page 1 is great and I honestly have never seen that pic before. Here's a trivia question for the heavy hitters: what game was this from and who is the goalie that got burned by Gionta in that game?

SJHovey
10-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I'll be a complete homer and throw out the name of Matt Greene, assistant captain of what should be a pretty good L.A. Kings team. Not going to put a ton of points up but a very good defenseman.

Hammy
10-12-2011, 10:39 AM
At a minimum, Alex Goligoski should be an honorable mention.

ac@chihawks
10-12-2011, 11:00 AM
1998 Frozen Four (semifinal) against Ohio State. Eagles won 5-2. Goalie was Jeff Maund. Gino was a freshman.

ac@chihawks
10-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Good call.

ac@chihawks
10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Nothing wrong with being a homer. Greene was a beast at UND and has been a slid professional. Thanks.

samboni
10-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Hard to have a top-25 without including the biggest reason Tampa Bay made the Eastern Conference Finals, Dwayne Roloson from UMass-Lowell.

Nick Papagiorgio
10-12-2011, 11:43 AM
1998 Frozen Four (semifinal) against Ohio State. Eagles won 5-2. Goalie was Jeff Maund. Gino was a freshman.

Very good. I'm impressed.

BCJacket5
10-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Despite being stuck on the bench in Vancouver, look for Corey Schneider to join that list in the near future.

Also, just throwing it out there: BC 2 - BU 0 (3-1 if you include the honorable mentions).

ac@chihawks
10-12-2011, 12:12 PM
I would agree. Let's hope for him to get traded to a quality team.

jjmc85
10-12-2011, 12:13 PM
I'll be a complete homer and throw out the name of Matt Greene, assistant captain of what should be a pretty good L.A. Kings team. Not going to put a ton of points up but a very good defenseman.
I'll be a homer too and throw out Jon Quick, goalie of the LA Kings.

ac@chihawks
10-12-2011, 12:59 PM

Well played.

burd
10-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Don't know how many are familiar with the story of honorable mention, Dustin Penner, who is listed because he went to Maine. Interesting and inspiring story. He finishes HS in a small Manitoba town and gets turned down at least three times by junior teams. He's thinking of trying to become an electrician or something like that, but at the last possible minute a friend or family member convinces him to enroll at a tiny junior college in Bottineau ND that used to be called the School of Forestry. He doesn't even play much at first, gets hurt, then blossoms and is eventually spotted by someone from Maine who was attending an evaluation camp to scout another player.

After Maine, he lands with Anaheim and ends up skating around the rink with the Cup his rookie year.

Totally below the radar, which in this age of year-round play and elite leagues, is refreshing.

ac@chihawks
10-12-2011, 01:30 PM
That is an outstanding story about Penner!! Thanks for the info.

bostonewe
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Just a sad note for a BU fan - one player listed, and he's only in honorable mention.

SCSU Euro
10-12-2011, 01:46 PM

I don't think they're that big of homer picks, I'm a Kings fan and I'd EASILY put Quick ahead of Jack Johnson, and Greene too. JJ is all about offense but he makes too many bonehead plays and his +/- is atrocious. Now you want homer picks, then how did Matt Cullen and Ryan Malone get screwed?!? :D

Very good. I'm impressed.

How are you impressed? He was the one who posted the picture!

LtPowers
10-12-2011, 04:02 PM
who the next generation of stars will be.

Keep an eye on Chris Tanev (Vancouver/RIT).

Powers &8^]

walrus
10-12-2011, 06:45 PM
When Jimmy Howard is only an Honorable mention the rest of the list isn't even worth looking at

BobF
10-12-2011, 06:51 PM
When Jimmy Howard is only an Honorable mention the rest of the list isn't even worth looking at

What he said!:cool: