PDA

View Full Version : UW-Stevens Point 2011-12

Pages : [1] 2

TWeaverUWSP93
10-11-2011, 08:14 PM
T-Minus 10 days til the season opener. New Coach, lots of new faces and a new radio deal as Sportsfan 100.5, the local ESPN Radio Affiliate in Central Wisconsin will broadcast Pointer Men's Hockey this season. All games will also be streamed online at www.espn1005.com. Details here: http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2011/10/11/GEN_1011112806.aspx?path=mbball

BetterInLakePlacid
10-12-2011, 06:20 AM
I think people are sleeping on the Pointers this year. They lost only one major player in Suter and he hurt them as much as helped them at times. They have as good of a goalie as anyone in the conference in Graves. They also have the potential to have three lines that can score. The defense is a little iffy right now, but it could work itself out.

The coaching change could be huge for them as well. They have played so undisciplined in the last few years it was embarrassing. If Coach Brooks can keep them in line, this team will be dangerous.

pete99race
10-12-2011, 10:48 AM
I think people are sleeping on the Pointers this year. They lost only one major player in Suter and he hurt them as much as helped them at times. They have as good of a goalie as anyone in the conference in Graves. They also have the potential to have three lines that can score. The defense is a little iffy right now, but it could work itself out.

The coaching change could be huge for them as well. They have played so undisciplined in the last few years it was embarrassing. If Coach Brooks can keep them in line, this team will be dangerous.
We all will learn a lot about the 2011-12 Pointers, after their first three games are in the books (opener on the road vs Marian and a two game series with SNC).

AVFC
10-12-2011, 12:23 PM

I agree. I think Brooks has also put together a pretty solid recruiting class on short notice. Kolb was once committed to MI Tech and Gibson has some solid back USHL experience. I think they will be better than most expect.

Collegeman
10-12-2011, 09:12 PM
When will SP and the other NCHA teams produce their rosters, I saw Norberts was up via the board? Is the official start Sunday or Monday?

I too will be watching Coach Brooks style of play. I assume he will run a more pro style game and be big time on conditioning prep.

pete99race
10-12-2011, 10:24 PM
When will SP and the other NCHA teams produce their rosters, I saw Norberts was up via the board? Is the official start Sunday or Monday?
This Saturday/Oct. 15 is the official start of team practices.

pete99race
10-13-2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1112/rosters/wspm
Roster announced for the Pointers...

hockey247
10-14-2011, 08:51 AM
http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1112/rosters/wspm
Roster announced for the Pointers...

If you look closely you will see that there were 6 guys who could have been on the roster from last year who are not. Looks like the new coach is cleaning things up.

Tucker6
10-14-2011, 10:32 AM
New coach had nothing to do with the guys not coming back, 5 of the 6 were planning on laeving before Brooks was even selected.

BetterInLakePlacid
10-14-2011, 01:43 PM
New coach had nothing to do with the guys not coming back, 5 of the 6 were planning on laeving before Brooks was even selected.

If you check the players that aren't back, they were not major contributors to the team and should not be considered major losses in anyway.

Cheese4ever
10-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Just wondering if practice does not start until Oct. 15 (tomorrow) how can they post their roster if they allow true tryouts.

SPFan
10-14-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't think College Hockey has 'tryouts'.

Tucker6
10-15-2011, 05:47 PM
If you check the players that aren't back, they were not major contributors to the team and should not be considered major losses in anyway.

I agree with you that what they lost won't hurt too bad, I was just saying that they left on thier own, and not because of Brooks cleaning house. Didn't see Bain listed on the roster but he is listed on the commitment list.

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
10-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Just wondering if practice does not start until Oct. 15 (tomorrow) how can they post their roster if they allow true tryouts.

They are allowe... but the team isn't required to conduct them. And I don't actually know if anybody does...

NUProf
10-18-2011, 02:34 PM
They are allowe... but the team isn't required to conduct them. And I don't actually know if anybody does...

Sometimes squads get cut during Fluffy Bunny time, too.

BetterInLakePlacid
10-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Per an article in the Stevens Point Journal, John Madden is moving back to defense to help out with injuries they have had back there. So after three years of guides listing him as F/D, he finally gets to use the D part of it.

Tucker6
11-07-2011, 08:02 PM
After the first three weeks of the season you can sum up the Pointers in one word, inconsistant. The first game against Marion they started out slow, got better as the game wore on, but dug themselves too deep a hole to get out of. Didn't help that they played the game with 5 d-men and two of them got hurt during the game limiting thier effectiveness. Game 2 against SNC was a different story, they started fast, kept the pressure up the entire game and came away with a solid 5-1 win. Game 3 at SNC was a totally different story again. SNC came out strong and Point just couldn't match the SNC intensity, it looked like they were content to let SNC control the game which they did for 60 minutes, and a 4-1 loss. Game 4 against Augsburg was much like the second SNC game for the first 2 periods with Augsburg taking a 3-0 lead late into the second. Point got a late goal in the second and played the most dominating period of hockey I have seen in the 3 years I've followed them. They out shot Augsburg 23-8 in the 3rd and capped off the win in overtime. Game 5 against Gustavus was a back and forth game with both teams having some quality chances with Gustavus scoring first on a beautiful bar down snipe. The Pointers tied it up in the third, but lost it in overtime on a goal mouth scramble with the net off, the ref in no position to see the puck, and the goal judge never turning the light on. Talked to him after the game, and he said the net was off but he was never asked by the refs, oh well tough loss 2-1.
So after 5 yo-yo games they sit at 2-3, looking for that consistent effort that we saw against the Auggies. This team has a bunch of talent, and I would put money on coach Brooks pulling this team together sooner rather than later, stay tuned.

Hammer
12-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Good win tonight for Adrian, but I didn't come here to rub that in.

Good set of broadcasters you've got there. They did a nice job tonight.

Collegeman
12-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Good win tonight for Adrian, but I didn't come here to rub that in.

Good set of broadcasters you've got there. They did a nice job tonight.

So what is it SP is a few players away from a really good team? R they being beat from lack of talent or do they have the talent but can`t use the new coaches sytem for an entire game? Thye seem to be able to compete with ever team they play. I wonder if they have new players coming in this semester like other teams

pete99race
12-31-2011, 12:44 PM
So what is it SP is a few players away from a really good team? R they being beat from lack of talent or do they have the talent but can`t use the new coaches sytem for an entire game? Thye seem to be able to compete with ever team they play. I wonder if they have new players coming in this semester like other teams
Last night, they did not take advantage of their opportunities as well as Adrian did.
They hit the pipe, at least four times, but could only find the back of the net once.
I heard that they have no transfers coming in for the second semester.