The rebirth of Providence College Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The rebirth of Providence College Hockey

Anyone have a facebook page for Friar fans? Anyone want to start one? I'm not so good at that stuff.
    The muzzle is off

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
      Too bad we need some type of gimmick to get them in the building.....after the team wins a few more they will come (I hope) but until then they have to be hyped up.....soon the tix will be hard to get again
      They'll start coming if the hockey team continues to play well and hoops continues (from last season) to play poorly. If BBall gets off to a hot start forget it.
      Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Great weekend of hockey even though we only came out with a tie. I hung out in FOF most of the game on Friday night, but was impressed by the student turnout. FOF got packed during intermissions. I was able to talk a handfull of my alumni friends to come on Saturday night and it turned out to be a better game. Was shocked how empty it was on saturday night. Student section filled in but not as well as the night before. When I was in school, while I was the biggest hockey fan in my group I was always was able to get people to go with the idea that we could use it as a "pre-game" for the night ahead. We'd all grab a nalgene fill it with our beverage of choice and go to the game. When we turned 21 we went to FOF. I know the school has really been cracking down on the drinking as of late,(they even got rid of the mug club in mcphails) and I'm not saying the only way anyone can bare watching college hockey is to be half in the bag, but I think you'd win over alot of fans if more students saw it this way. Obviously winning also helps in the equation. Overall though I have been impressed with the student turnout. If anything, I think the non-student sections look alot emptier than last year. On a final note whats with the "1-2-3 HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY." I just don't get it.
        Last edited by squidjigger; 10-24-2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Squidjigger- I don't get that chant either.
          Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

From the on-ice standpoint, I'll take this weekend. Sounds like the team was competitive for most of the six periods and certainly did not give up. Early on that is encouraging. There's nowhere else to go but up.

As to enticing students with alcohol, that my friends is a recipe for disaster. I'd rather enjoy the game in an empty arena than put up with a rink full of drunk college students. As is true with most programs, you pile up the W's and they will come in droves.

Comment

As to enticing students with alcohol, that my friends is a recipe for disaster.
              You said it Freds. A total and complete disaster.

As is true with most programs, you pile up the W's and they will come in droves.
              It's been so long since PC has had big attendance on a regular basis -- and the last time there was, there was no internet, no Providence Bruins, etc...not nearly as many entertainment alternatives as there are today. Is PC ever going to get fans to come back in droves? If you establish yourself as a national player, the opportunity is there, but it's probably going to take that -- as in, a long-term change -- to get people to go again and be torn away from whatever else it is they do on weekends.

The reality is PC has been inflating attendance for years. When they used to say 1000-1500, it was usually half that. Some nights a couple of years ago it seemed like a few hundred if that, and yet they'd announce attendance at 1000 which was a joke.

So the challenge for Leaman is vast, but it's great to see the team finally moving in the right direction. It has to start on the ice and whether the fans come back or not, to some degree that is a bit beyond their control (of course running promos, getting youth teams back in, etc. -- that can help to a certain extent).

Happy season everyone

Comment

If Merrimack could bring their program to respectability, certainly PC can. Before Dennehy's arrival, they were about as low as a program could be in D1. With a lot of hard work, backing by the administration, some excellent recruiting, and a bit of luck (Da Costa, Cannata) it all came together where they are now banging out sellouts most games (admittedly, capacity of around 2,500 makes that easier to do). I believe Leaman can make that happen for the Friars. That would be great for Hockey East, and college hockey in general.
                Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

New recruit...great size, good stats...

DE JERSEY, Paul

Current Team: Prince George Spruce Kings
                  Committed To: Providence College (NCAA Div. I)
                  Committed For: 2012/2013
                  Position: F
                  Height: 6'3"
                  Weight: 200

12 14 11 25 2.1 (Gm, G, A, Pts., PPG)

http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/rosters_p...&teamID=305113

Comment

• Originally posted by mvfriar View Post
                    Had a chance to catch a couple of NH Monarch games today up at the Hooksett, NH arena. There was a tourney going on.
                    Parisi is a solid defenseman who seems to really understand the game. Great shot from the point...always a scoring threat.
                    Not a flashy offensive-minded d-man; just very solid position player, good passer, and hard shooter.

Connor Gorman got lots of playing time as well and looked good. Smallish frame, but pesky forechecker, good on the PK, and good handle with the puck.
                    Tried to think of whom he reminded me of, and all I could think of was someone like Devin Rask.

I did notice on Chris Heisenberg's recruit site that he is no longer listed as a PC recruit. In fact, he's not listed as anyone's recruit. Did he decommit?

Anyway, I think Parisi will be a very good addition and of immediate help on defense.
                    I just looked on Chris Heisenbers's site and Connor Gorman is still listed on the 2011 site as coming here next season.

Comment

Originally posted by F O F room fan View Post
                      I just looked on Chris Heisenbers's site and Connor Gorman is still listed on the 2011 site as coming here next season.
                      True, but the 2012 recruit page leaves him off. The 2012 and 2013 recruits are shown on the 2012 page, which is his usual rotation thru the lists. In addition, Gorman is listed in the Northeast grouping without a school in the commitment column. Parisi is show as a PC recruit there, so those lists are up-to-date. In fact, the new recruit, DeJersey, appears in the BCHL list as a PC recruit. So I have to wonder again, has Gorman decommitted?

Comment

DeJersey:

has Gorman decommitted?
                        I would guess no, because he seemed ok with the coaching change.

Brent Norris was apparently cut by CR's?
                        http://www.youngstownphantoms.com/ne...d-brent-norris
                        Last edited by D.Leo; 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know when the school plans on getting started with the renovations and additions to schneider? They've been talking about it for a while but I haven't seen anything on it.

Comment

• The Connor Gorman question...

Originally posted by D.Leo View Post
                            DeJersey:

I would guess no, because he seemed ok with the coaching change.

Brent Norris was apparently cut by CR's?
                            http://www.youngstownphantoms.com/ne...d-brent-norris
                            Directly from Chris Heisenberg himself...

My question to him: "Connor Gorman is no longer listed in the 2012 section as a Providence recruit, so I was wondering if he decommitted since Leaman came in.
                            Can you clear this up?"

Him: "Yes, Gorman is no longer a Providence recruit."

Comment

I don't think I saw this posted here earlier - there is a nice article about Damian Cross published on the College Hockey News website: Providence's Cross Making up for Lost Season

Comment

no longer a Providence recruit

I can make an uninformed guess why. But numbers probably tell the story.

Comment

Working...
                                X