Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMass-Lowell at Minnesota State 10/14 and 10/15: Is anybody out there?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMass-Lowell at Minnesota State 10/14 and 10/15: Is anybody out there?!

This is the Regular Season home opener for the Mavs, who technically have 3 games under their belts, after a good road split at RPI this past weekend. Lowell is coming off a 3-3 exhibition tie. Does anyone still post here for either team?

Go Mavericks! We Need a SWEEP!
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Re: UMass-Lowell at Minnesota State 10/14 and 10/15: Is anybody out there?!

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    This is the Regular Season home opener for the Mavs, who technically have 3 games under their belts, after a good road split at RPI this past weekend. Lowell is coming off a 3-3 exhibition tie. Does anyone still post here for either team?

Go Mavericks! We Need a SWEEP!
    You'll get it. Don't worry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
      You'll get it. Don't worry about that.
      Ouch ...

I'm hoping for a split. Lowell is loaded with underclassmen, so hopefully they can come home with a win on the weekend.

I wonder if Carr will be starting the first game in net.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

After last season, any W's are going to seem like we hit the lottery. It's hard to judge this team right now. There were some good things in the exhibition, but there were enough mistakes to fill a warehouse. The warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones.

Hopefully this early road trip can bring the team and coaching staff together. A split would just be icing on the cake. UConn is waiting for Lowell when they return, then we spend a weekend getting our clock's cleaned by BC. A little confidence before that annihilation would be super.
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

Attitude and effort... if we put those together you can win games you aren't otherwise supposed to... there may be a lot of those this year... but W/L doesn't matter in a year like this... attitude and effort.

I'd rather not care about how many games we're going to lose this year.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

So is the general consensus that Lowell is not very good this year? (a rebuilding year, from the sounds of it?) How is the goaltending?
            AF 99

Comment

So is the general consensus that Lowell is not very good this year? (a rebuilding year, from the sounds of it?) How is the goaltending?
              Lowell is coming off it's worst season ever, just 5 wins last year. They've got a new coach (an alum of the program), so we're not really sure what we're going to see since we've only had one exhibition game so far. I've been told the players are fast, but small ... so physical teams will probably give Lowell a tough time this year.

Goaltending ... there are two sophomores coming back this year, and a freshman. The two sophs both had pretty average-to-bad numbers last year, some their fault and some the fault of a questionable defense. Towards the end of the season you could start seeing Doug Carr establishing himself a bit more than had Marc Boulanger, but the assumption at this point (by me) is that they'll probably rotate until one steps up.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

lol Understatement of the year right there..

Please understand, Lowell is coming off its worst season in the program's 40+ year history. Yeah, new coach and some new faces... But the team played so poorly and found incredible ways to lose games last year. I'd love a split, but a sweep is fairly likely.

If you want some good Lowell analysis, check out "The Ice Is Life" blog: http://theiceislife.wordpress.com/. Those guys do a good job of previewing/breaking down games and there's a well-written season preview that might give you answers to all your questions Lowell-related.
                UMASS LOWELL RIVER HAWKS HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  I've been told the players are fast, but small ... so physical teams will probably give Lowell a tough time this year.
                  Well, if Mankato is anything they are physical. This doesn't necessarily translate into goals though, but a ton of PIM's. Ask RPI.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

It's going to be interesting going out to Mankato to visit a new city, arena, and state on Friday. Never been to Minnesota other than passing through MSP.

As was the case last season, inexperienced goaltending will be Lowell's biggest concern going into this weekend and to start the season. Neither goalie (Boulanger, Robbins) really impressed me much during the exhibition game with the caveat that Carr (who should be the #1 goalie) did not play. For the the non-freshmen, there is some motivation for payback after the embarassing sweep that the Mavericks took both games from Lowell in rather easy fashion over last Thanksgiving weekend. After the 8-3 blowout on Friday, that 3-2 Saturday game really wasn't even that close. The 200x100 rink concerns me a little bit; they played on a 190x80 rink in the Tully Forum during their exhibition game so the jump up to the standard WCHA lake will be something to watch. Also, keep an eye on that young defense and goaltending who in their seven non-conference games last year, yielded a GAPG of 4.86.

Overall, the consensus is that this team will be in the bottom tier of Hockey East but should be in contention for a playoff spot. Hockey East is rather weak and open this year other than BC/BU. The margin for wins/losses is going to be fine on the bottom half of the pile. No one in the Lowell crew can really can't say how this is season going to shake out after the coach from last year "resigned/was forced out/fired" depending on your point of view. New personnel, new system, new work ethic, new attitude. The lines that start on Friday are going to be very telling and will be very different from the games last season other than the goaltending.

A split of games when your team team travels West or East depending on location is a very successful weekend. Although, I do think the games this weekend will be much more competative than they were last season, I would expect the Mavericks to take at least three if not all four point this weekend.
                    - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

From what I've read, if the Mavericks don't take both games this weekend, it's somewhat a disappointment, especially at home, and especially with how they played last weekend.

The Mavericks will be good defensively. They're young, and inexperienced, but in the three games thus far this season, have looked anything but. Goaltending is a strong suit for this year's team. Where we get killed is PENALTIES. STAY OUT OF THE **** BOX MAVERICKS! If the Mavericks can find ways to stay out of the box this year, they will be in good shape. These non conference games, especially against a team with so much uncertainty and rebuilding going on, are crucial. Win them both, and you're two steps closer to finding your way into the PWR top 16.
                      AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                        It's going to be interesting going out to Mankato to visit a new city, arena, and state on Friday. Never been to Minnesota other than passing through MSP.

As was the case last season, inexperienced goaltending will be Lowell's biggest concern going into this weekend and to start the season. Neither goalie (Boulanger, Robbins) really impressed me much during the exhibition game with the caveat that Carr (who should be the #1 goalie) did not play. For the the non-freshmen, there is some motivation for payback after the embarassing sweep that the Mavericks took both games from Lowell in rather easy fashion over last Thanksgiving weekend. After the 8-3 blowout on Friday, that 3-2 Saturday game really wasn't even that close. The 200x100 rink concerns me a little bit; they played on a 190x80 rink in the Tully Forum during their exhibition game so the jump up to the standard WCHA lake will be something to watch. Also, keep an eye on that young defense and goaltending who in their seven non-conference games last year, yielded a GAPG of 4.86.

Overall, the consensus is that this team will be in the bottom tier of Hockey East but should be in contention for a playoff spot. Hockey East is rather weak and open this year other than BC/BU. The margin for wins/losses is going to be fine on the bottom half of the pile. No one in the Lowell crew can really can't say how this is season going to shake out after the coach from last year "resigned/was forced out/fired" depending on your point of view. New personnel, new system, new work ethic, new attitude. The lines that start on Friday are going to be very telling and will be very different from the games last season other than the goaltending.

A split of games when your team team travels West or East depending on location is a very successful weekend. Although, I do think the games this weekend will be much more competative than they were last season, I would expect the Mavericks to take at least three if not all four point this weekend.
                        Coming down for the games this weekend?

The weather will be beautiful, and we should get a somewhat decent crowd. Where are you staying?
                        AF 99

Comment

I'm also heading out there this weekend. I've been to MSP and Duluth, but not Mankato. Flying into MSP Thursday night and driving to Mankato on Friday morning. Planning to walk some of the trails in Minneopa State Park since the weather is going to be nice.

You mention getting a decent crowd but I was told you guys don't sell out and I can buy tickets at the door to avoid the TicketMaster fees. Would you agree with that or should I buy tickets in advance?

I'd also ask about cameras but I read on your website that cameras are allowed.

Most importantly, where's a good place to get a beer before/after the game?

Comment

Most bars will have an annoying drunk college kid sort of crowd. Good thing is that there are a ton of them within walking distance of the arena so it is easy to move on to a different location.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by MaryK View Post
                              I'm also heading out there this weekend. I've been to MSP and Duluth, but not Mankato. Flying into MSP Thursday night and driving to Mankato on Friday morning. Planning to walk some of the trails in Minneopa State Park since the weather is going to be nice.

You mention getting a decent crowd but I was told you guys don't sell out and I can buy tickets at the door to avoid the TicketMaster fees. Would you agree with that or should I buy tickets in advance?

I'd also ask about cameras but I read on your website that cameras are allowed.

Most importantly, where's a good place to get a beer before/after the game?
                              The walking and the drive down from MSP will be beautiful with all of the fall colors and leaves changing, etc. Perfect weekend for you to visit.

You will be just fine buying tickets when you get here, no worries. We won't sell out this weekend, that's for sure. A pretty good crowd will be 3500-3800 this weekend.. Our local football team is a State Powerhouse every year, but they're playing on the road this weekend, so that will get a few more people in the seats. I think the students should be out in full force, there seems to be a bit of buzz around the hockey team this weekend. Should be a good weekend for some hockey!

A lot of people gather at Rounders, Blue Bricks, and Buffalo Wild Wings prior to the game, find a spot you're comfortable with after, downtown area has plenty of good bars within walking distance.
                              AF 99

Comment

Working...
                              X