Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its Back! The 2011-12 UNO Season Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Its Back! The 2011-12 UNO Season Thread!

Alex Hudson dismissed from team after 2nd violation of team rules, as reported by CHN over on twitter.

Comment

Hey UNOers,

I am thinking about making the trip down to Omaha in January for tUMD series. Any advice on where to stay, drink, eat? It looks like there is a hotel attached to the rink, it that the best bet? Wife and I wold like to find a fun bar to pre/post game at, where is the party at?

Thanks for any tips.
      UMD: tHobey Baker University.

Comment

Originally posted by DropPass View Post
        Hey UNOers,

I am thinking about making the trip down to Omaha in January for tUMD series. Any advice on where to stay, drink, eat? It looks like there is a hotel attached to the rink, it that the best bet? Wife and I wold like to find a fun bar to pre/post game at, where is the party at?

Thanks for any tips.
        For one thing, depending on which game you are going to, getting your gloms on tickets ASAP would be a good idea:

http://www.selloutduluth.com/sell-out.htm

The Centurylink Center (now being referred to as "The Clink") is connected to the Hilton across the street via skyway. There are other hotels nearby. The arena is located just north of the Old Market where there are many shops and restaurants. Most of the sports bars in the area are not really actually in what is generally recognized as the Old Market but are very close. There are so many hotels, restaurants, sports bars, and shops inside a one mile radius of the arena (hell, even a half mile) that you are not going to have any problems finding some place to be. Downtown Omaha is a very hopping place to be since the city's primary entertainment district (the Old Market) is down there. This is true even on weeknights. Parking can be an issue the closer to the Market area you are.

The pregame ritual(s) for my wife and I consists of eating pizza and having a beer at Goodnights (right across the street from TD Ameritrade Park--where the College World Series is now played) and then going to the game. You can walk to the game from there if you want and the weather is decent, but, it is a few blocks. Not usually a big UNO Hockey contingent in here but there are some.

Alternatively, we break things up and go to Union Pizzeria & Sports Bar which is located inside the new Holiday Inn just NW of TD Ameritrade on Cuming Street. They have a free shuttle bus to the game from here although, again, if the weather is decent and the spirit moves you, you can walk. About the same jaunt as from Goodnights, which is only a block or so away from Union. There is always a pretty big UNO contingent in here, pregame.

My wife's new favorite thing to do is eat at Cantina Laredo (which is located at Midtown crossing in the Mutual of Omaha Complex) and then take Midtown Crossing's free shuttle to the game. This is more along the lines of something to keep the boss happy by eating something a lot better than bar food or pizza. No hockey atmosphere doing this at all and Midtown Crossing is a couple miles away from the arena on the very west edge of downtown but there are numerous bars and restaurants there as well.

Thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Duluth this past March that included beers both Friday and Saturday nights with the parents of (Mark & Judy, if I remember correctly?) UMD Captain Jack Connolly at the Duluth Curling Club, pregame. Loved Pizza Luce'. Made a trip to the Duluth Grill, and stayed at Fitger's. Looking forward to going back next time. Everybody was extraordinarily friendly and we were greeted very warmly in the Curling Club, despite the four of us sticking out like a sore thumb in that sea of gold in UNO gear.
        Last edited by Red Cows; 12-19-2011, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DropPass View Post
          Hey UNOers,

Thanks for any tips.
          Red Cows pretty much covered it. DJs Dugout is a great sports bar located right across the street and has more tvs then ive ever seen. Decent amount of Mav fans will be in there. Other than that, plenty of options just a few blocks south of the CLink. Have a safe trip. Really looking forward to that series. Hopefully the crowd is large and extremely rowdy. GO MAVS!

Comment

Ticketmaster now showing only 1123 seats available for "Sell out Duluth":

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/06...4&minorcatid=9

These are all full price tickets.

The school's special web site now says its 4971.

This gives you an idea how many special priced seats the school is holding back and selling at their special link:

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/gr...t=&customerID=

This special link is only good for one more day. The promo code is: Hockey

My guess is that they may extend it.

Something in the range of 3000 to 4000, it would appear.

This is fewer seats by far than have been left this soon before the actual game date in the 2 previous promotions of "Sell Out Ohio State" or "Sell Out Wisconsin" the past couple seasons.

My guess is that they will get it done and sell them all this year.

Comment

HUUUUUUUUUUUGE WEEKEND!!! Lets rock the CLink. GO MAVS!

Comment

Sheesh, UNO did extend the $15.00 ticket special last Friday now through the 12th. Lower bowl only.

How benevolent. There are only 56 singles left in the lower bowl and 16 other seats that aren't singles.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/06...4&minorcatid=9

Comment

I'll take the split with #1 anyday. Great win last night. Now lets sweep the purple cows!

Comment

Random Saturday night (1-14-12) observations.

1. It was nice to be on the winning side of a game where the shot advantage was ridiculous to the negative for a change.

2. It's pretty apparent to me that Coach Blais has seen the movie Slap Shot after seeing the major penalties that got handed out to UNO in this series (and, suspension). Blais ****ed:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120117/MAVS/701179842

3. Faulkner being a healthy scratch spoke volumes.

4. The atmosphere, as I suspected it would be, was far better on Saturday night than on Friday despite the crowd being halved.

5. More UMD fans in evidence on Saturday night than Friday night by about double, as I suspected would be the case. Ate at Union Sports Bar, pregame, on Saturday night and there was a large UMD contingent in there. Why do they all have the Grizzly Adams look?

6. Attendance for the two games didn't quite get to 25,000. The Duluth News Tribune needs to check its sources since they reported last Thursday that "over 11,000" tickets had been sold for Saturday night's game. Not even close.

7. Great moment on Saturday night was "the wave" dying a fast death every single time UMD fan tried to get it started, early in the 3rd period, in the corner of the arena where they all seemed to be mostly congregated.

UNO got back in the NCAA hunt Saturday night. 4 points at Mankato are now a must have. Our (me and the boss, not UNO) first trip there. Can't wait. It's so close (less than 300 hundred miles) I am ashamed we've never done it before, particularly since we have played them there every year since the program's inception (well, almost, we didn't play them in '99-'00 for some reason or another). Since there is no way of telling if we are going to play them again any time soon thanks to conference realignment, its a "must" trip and its our road trip for this season.

Red Cows trump Purple Cows every time (well, to the tune of 15-8-5, anyway).
                    Last edited by Red Cows; 01-19-2012, 12:38 AM.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Faulkner has been a healthy scratch a couple times this season. I still think he played fairly well Saturday, just let in a couple bad goals. Some, our D just let him out to dry. And that shot off the faceoff circle, that was hard to stop.

Massa played well though, stayed strong in the crease. Let's hope he can keep that strong play up. We'll see him more and more now.

Comment

UNO beats the purple cows tonight 2-1 in OT. Unfortunately freshman goalie Ryan Massa taken to the hospital after being hit in the crease. Thoughts and prayers Ryan!

Comment

Originally posted by LincolnMav View Post
                          UNO beats the purple cows tonight 2-1 in OT. Unfortunately freshman goalie Ryan Massa taken to the hospital after being hit in the crease. Thoughts and prayers Ryan!
                          I hope he's O.K., too. Been trying to find info online with no luck tonight since the game ended.

Was going and then the wife talked me out of it last night due to the impending weather conditions we'd have had to drive through to get there. Upwards of 6" to 8" of snow all across the NW Iowa, 4", even, in Mankato. The wife hates winter.

Sigh. Will get to work on her in the A.M. for tomorrow night. It's less than a 5 hour drive.

The march to the NCAA's is on. Up to 19th in Pairwise now. That is my goal for this team, this season. Getting there this year, with the level of experience we have, in my book, will be more of an accomplishment than doing so last year. I think it is doable and my gut is that we will do it.

Comment

Massa discharged from the hospital in Mankato about 2:00 A.M. and went back to his hotel room, where he rooms with Johnnie Searfoss (from Mavpuck). No word on his status for tonight. Supposedly, Faulkner did not even make the trip and Belfour was the only other goalie in Mankato. My guess is that either Faulkner or Bergman are enroute today. Good thing Mankato is "close".

Comment

I hope the kid is okay. Looked to me like he was knocked out, so probably a concussion.
                              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Anything new on Massa?
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X