Gophers at Bulldogs Oct 14 & 15 - No more well wishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gophers at Bulldogs Oct 14 & 15 - No more well wishes

I don't think he meant the two teams "flip-flop" on who is good - just that when one is good, the other typically isn't.

(And the vast majority of the time, MN is the good team, and UMD is the bad one; the recent past is a notable exception).

Comment

I still have a beef with Reichmuth. Not because he stood on his head against the Gophers (he always did) but because he completely crapped the bed the very next game against Denver.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
        Other than 2004, have they made the NCAA's in the same season within the past 20 years?
        1993. Lost to eventual champion LSSU
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          I still have a beef with Reichmuth. Not because he stood on his head against the Gophers (he always did) but because he completely crapped the bed the very next game against Denver.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I see the Gophers have fallen out of favor---being bumped off FSN by the Wild on Saturday night.
            Bob is making me concerned
            I am the voice of reason

Comment

Gameday!

Article in today's PP

Young Minnesota Gophers hockey team faces NCAA champs in Duluth

University of Minnesota men's hockey coach Don Lucia is facing a season in which he will have to do more teaching and developing because of the team's youthful roster, but how does he balance that role with perhaps a more challenging task?

The Gophers have not been to the NCAA tournament in three years and have suffered first-round eliminations in the past two Western Collegiate Hockey Association playoffs. Recent postseason disappointments have elevated the significance of the 2011-12 season, even though 19 of Lucia's 27 players are either freshmen or sophomores.

Lucia said he is not lowering his expectations, but he threw up a caution sign by acknowledging the team is in transition.

"We're going to be a work in progress," he said. "We're in a very good league. We have to look at it as we're going to do some good things and things that aren't very good. That's where the teaching part comes in. The improvement ... we'll have to see."

Lucia should learn a lot about his young team tonight and Saturday during the Gophers' two-game series at defending NCAA champion Minnesota-Duluth at Amsoil Arena.

In only the second week of the season, the Gophers (2-0) will be matched against a UMD team (1-0) that returns goalie Kenny Reiter, two-time All-American Jack Connolly and J.T. Brown, the Bulldogs' second-leading goal scorer last season.

The Bulldogs' title has magnified the questionable stature of the Gophers' program. For Gophers players, it's unsettling to know the NCAA championship trophy is only three hours north of the Twin Cities.

"For a lot of years, we have been the dominant program over Duluth," said defenseman Jake Hansen, one of only seven seniors on the Gophers' roster. "They have the crown now...that's a little strange. The University of Minnesota is supposed to be the premier program. That's what we're trying to get back to this year."

If the Gophers, picked to finish sixth in WCHA preseason polls by the coaches and media, return to prominence this season, they likely will do it with seven freshmen or sophomores among their top three lines. Freshman winger Kyle Rau already has earned a spot on the Gophers' No. 1 line. Lucia also will have at least three sophomores and a freshman among his top defensemen.

Lucia is counting on the experience many of his young stars gained from playing junior hockey. Rau and fellow freshmen Sam Warning, Seth Ambroz, Travis Boyd, Ben Marshall and Blake Thompson joined the Gophers after juniors competition.

Warning, from Chesterfield, Mo., has been paired with Hansen on the Gophers' No. 2 line; Marshall and sophomores Mark Alt and Nate Schmidt are battling to become the Gophers' second-line defenders behind junior Seth Helgeson and sophomore Justin Holl.

"The growth of our defenders will be a big part of what we do this year," Lucia said. "We have no senior defenders. They have to grow a great deal between now and the end of the season. We need to have that consistency. Our penalty kill wasn't that good last season."

Alt, a former star quarterback at Cretin-Derham Hall, is confident the team's chemistry will help the players deal with any consistency or inexperience issues that might surface.

"The team is a lot more driven than any team I've been on in the past," Alt said. "The atmosphere is a lot more competitive. We have a much different team this year."
              Originally posted by CavalryNate
              Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                What sort of alternate universe have I fallen into and how do I get back to reality?
                Follow the light.............................
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

"The team is a lot more driven than any team I've been on in the past," Alt said. "The atmosphere is a lot more competitive. We have a much different team this year."

That's all I needed to hear

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post

That's all I needed to hear
                    I tend to agree, but we did hear some of that kind of stuff last year. I need to see it too. So far in the first two games I have.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      I tend to agree, but we did hear some of that kind of stuff last year. I need to see it too. So far in the first two games I have.
                      Very true Scoob. Very true.

Comment

Crank it up, people! It's gameday!

Half day of work and then it Duluth, here we come!
                        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          That's what I'm saying. We have been hearing the same kind of stuff the past 3-4 years and it has all been the same story. We can only hope this year truly is a different story.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                            I see the Gophers have fallen out of favor---being bumped off FSN by the Wild on Saturday night.
                            Hey now! We are still on FSN.....alternate channel

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                              Crank it up, people! It's gameday!

Half day of work and then it Duluth, here we come!
                              I don't know how the heck I am to be expected to get any work done today. Seriously, I am so amped up right now!

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                                I don't know how the heck I am to be expected to get any work done today. Seriously, I am so amped up right now!
                                Same.

The Schell's Oktoberfest will be flowing tonight.
                                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X