This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Hockey 2011-2012 Season Thread "We Can See Cleary Now"

Don't mean to hog the thread starting but we are on the eve of the new season and the debut of Coach Rick Bennett and his new staff. Good luck to the Dutchmen as they drop the puck against the Black Knights of Army tomorrow night.

I think the out of conference schedule through the end of the year is an ambitious one which will provide some major tests and hopefully bear fruit come playoffs where Union has continuted to struggle. If we can get through the OOC schedule at or about .500 and win a few of the early season conference games, I think this team can find its legs and build on it as it hits the heart of the ECAC schedule come the New Year. Big question of course is how U will fill the void created by the departure of Keith Kinkaid. I assume Troy Grosenick will be the early season starter and I hear he is looking pretty good in practice. I'm not worried about how this team will react to its new coach, who really isn't new at all and who I think is ready for this new challenge.

Got my season tickets today so I'm ready to roll. How about U?

Re: Union Hockey 2011-2012 Season Thread "We Can See Cleary Now"

Ready for the season! LET'S GO U!!

10/8/2011 Army West Point, N.Y. 7:05 p.m. Details

10/14/2011 Western Michigan University Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

10/15/2011 Western Michigan University Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

10/21/2011 Niagara University Niagara Falls, NY 7:05 p.m. Details

10/22/2011 Rochester Institute of Technology Rochester, NY 7:05 p.m. Details

10/28/2011 University of New Hampshire Durham, NH 7:00 p.m. Details

10/29/2011 American International College Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

11/4/2011 St. Lawrence University Canton, NY 7:00 p.m. Details

11/5/2011 Clarkson University Potsdam, NY 7:00 p.m. Details

11/11/2011 Brown University Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

11/12/2011 Yale University Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:30 p.m. Details

11/15/2011 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Troy, NY 7:00 p.m. Details

11/27/2011 University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI 3:05 p.m. Details

12/2/2011 Quinnipiac University Hamden, CT 7:00 p.m. Details

12/3/2011 Princeton University Princeton, NJ 4:00 p.m. Details

12/10/2011 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Lake Placid, NY 4:00 p.m. Details

12/17/2011 Merrimack College North Andover, MA 4:00 p.m. Details

12/30/2011 University of Denver Denver, CO 7:35 p.m. Details

12/31/2011 Colorado College Colorado Springs, CO 7:07 p.m. Details

1/6/2012 Harvard University Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

1/7/2012 Dartmouth College Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

1/13/2012 Harvard University Cambridge, MA 3:00 p.m. Details

1/14/2012 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

1/20/2012 Yale University New Haven, CT 7:00 p.m. Details

1/21/2012 Brown University Providence, RI 7:00 p.m. Details

1/27/2012 Clarkson University Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

1/28/2012 St. Lawrence University Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

2/3/2012 Colgate University Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

2/4/2012 Cornell University Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

2/10/2012 Dartmouth College Hanover, NH 7:00 p.m. Details

2/17/2012 Princeton University Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

2/18/2012 Quinnipiac University Schenectady, NY - Messa Rink 7:00 p.m. Details

2/24/2012 Cornell University Ithaca, NY 7:00 p.m. Details

2/25/2012 Colgate University Hamilton, NY 7:00 p.m. Details
    Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 10-07-2011, 11:59 PM.
    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Hello Union Hockey Fans! Union Hockey Radio is back on the air! You can listen live in the Capital District on WABY 1160, or WVKZ 1240 - Or listen free on Teamline.cc and searching for Union College Athletics!

Tonight's pregame starts at 6:45 as the Dutchmen kick off their season against the Army Black Knights!

Don't forget Coach's Corner Live at Bomber's Burrito Bar in Schenectady, starting this Wednesday and airing every 2 weeks, as we talk Union Hockey with head coach Rick Bennett and special guests, 6pm - same stations.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to drop us a line - UnionHockeyRadio@gmail.com!

Thanks for listening, and let's go U!

Comment

I know we were playing army, but where's the activity here? 8-1 is impressive no matter who we're playing. Great way to open up the season.
        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Union skates past Army, 8-1, in the season opener. Hard to ask for much more. It's always a plus to win your first game of the season and Bennett has his first win behind him now as well. Doing it on the road makes it even better. Wayne Simpson notched a hat trick for Union.

And to add, the Ikkala, Coatta, Novak line seemed to be firing on all cylinders. I saw a few good observations about them on Twitter tonight. Novak scored two goals. If tonight is any indication, that's a heck of a fourth line.

Comment

Great start indeed but next weekend will be a real test against a ranked WMU team that handled U twice last season in their barn. Still have to like what we saw or heard this evening. Congratulations as well to Coach Bennett and his staff.

Comment

It's a hard way to open your home schedule, but the two games against WMU next weekend should be very exciting. A matchup of two of the top 15 teams in the country and an early gauge for both. Hopefully, Messa is packed next weekend. It's no surprise, but WMU steamrolled Alabama-Huntsville 7-1 last night and 4-0 tonight.

Army isn't the biggest challenge, but Grosenick did stop 17 of the 18 shots he faced. The goal against was very early in the game. With all the talk about goaltending, it was important for him to come out of the gates with a good showing. I'm optimistic about his chances this year.

Comment

Definitely a nice way to start the season and congratulations to Bennett and the rest of the coaching staff for victory #1! Hopefully many more to come..

As the radio guys said, this doesn't exactly answer a lot of the preseason questions about the goaltending and defense. Next weekend should be a much sterner test and we'll probably get a better idea of what we really have, but.. it's obvious that, similar to last year, if an opponent has any kind of weakness or lack of depth, U's offense can make them pay. Pretty amazing tonight considering the Welsh-Jooris-Carr line got shutout..

Glad to see Yanovitch in the lineup and hope he stays there. Leaman had a good habit of finding significant roles for little used players when they became juniors or seniors (Bowles, Lareau, Pallos) and I was thinking that Yano would be a perfect fit to add some senior leadership to the 3rd or 4th line. Also nice to see the other Bodie get a couple points and reportedly have a good game - I think he has a lot of potential to really contribute. If more players improve on last year's production and with contributions from a couple of the freshmen, the offense should be fine.

Really looking forward to next weekend's games and the raising of Union's first D-1 banner! Hoping La Messa will be rocking and the boys can get some payback against WMU!!
                UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

No doubt that next weekend will be a tough pair of games but I think beefing up the OOC schedule will definitely pay dividends come the postseason, especially if we are fortunate enough to make the NCAAs. The experience and hopefully the confidence gained in playing such teams may go a long way toward improving Union's postseason performance.

Comment

Here are links to two articles from the TU on Keith Kinkaid and Rick Bennett. It looks like Kinkaid may be getting his first regular season start today against Bridgeport. Based on the poor statistical performance of Jeff Frazee last night, Keith may have a great chance to be no. 1. I'd be tempted to go except it looks like it's going to be too nice to be indoors for a 4:00 game.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...ce-2209820.php
                    http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...ck-2209844.php

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                      Really looking forward to next weekend's games and the raising of Union's first D-1 banner! Hoping La Messa will be rocking and the boys can get some payback against WMU!!
                      I thought the banner was going to raised at the AIC game. Was it changed to next weekend?

It's too bad that Nate Leaman can't attend as he was obviously the key component (along with Rick Bennett) to U's ascendancy and we will at least be thinking about him with appreciation. That being said, I love where we are now and thankful that we have Rick Bennett and his staff in place to continue to build upon recent success. Go U!

Comment

It makes the most sense to do it on opening night, but that AIC game is the least attractive game on the home schedule. Maybe they figure raising the banner then might draw a few more. Should be a spectacle to see either way.

Comment

At the Ice Breaker Event, it was clear that AIC would be the Date for the Banners, as I believe 1 for a NCAA Appreance and the Other for the Cleary Cup. But who knows, things could change. LOL
                          Let's go Dutch
                          Union Hockey 2010-2011

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                            I thought the banner was going to raised at the AIC game. Was it changed to next weekend?
                            Actually I just assumed it was next weekend since those were the opening home games.. guess I was being too logical. Looks like they are doing it on Homecoming weekend, though the way the football team is playing they maybe should have Homecoming next week (football is on the road) and have the big event be two nationally ranked hockey teams.. but that's just me .
                            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                              Actually I just assumed it was next weekend since those were the opening home games.. guess I was being too logical. Looks like they are doing it on Homecoming weekend, though the way the football team is playing they maybe should have Homecoming next week (football is on the road) and have the big event be two nationally ranked hockey teams.. but that's just me .
                              I also think I recall the radio boys mentioning something about next weekend as well. I will try to find out for sure and post further info.

Comment

Working...
                              X